If you can't use monoball, which bushing? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

If you can't use monoball, which bushing?

Gotta keep my car in A Street which means I'm not allowed to switch from a bushing to a bearing.

Most of the discussions I've seen on the topic have lead to the consensus being "Use Monoballs".

But if you can't, what bushing is best?

2005 Lotus Elise Ardent Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:44 AM
Elise Guru

Our Self-Lubricating Bushings are a great way to go. I prefer them to Monoballs as I think they hold up better over time. Oh and they are less expensive. There are hundreds of cars running them as well as 2 of our Lotuses. The directness and positivity of the suspension is very noticeable at the limit. The rubber bushings move underload and the dynamic toe is disconcerting. These eliminate that feeling completely.

Cheers,

Fred

Self-Lubricating Bushings

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 04:58 AM

In A Street, you can not install any bushing other than OE and remain legal. There is no provision for bushing replacement in Street class.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

My understanding is that you don't have to use OEM specifically.. The rule about bushings is:

Suspension bushings, including but not limited to those which carry the weight of the vehicle and determine ride height, may not be replaced with bushings of a different material or dimension.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:11 AM

Right, but the different material or dimension part is going to rule out any reason to not use OEM bushings. You can't use polys or metals/etc .
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:15 AM

I don't know of any other bushings besides OE that are same material and dimension.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esseye View Post
Right, but the different material or dimension part is going to rule out any reason to not use OEM bushings. You can't use polys or metals/etc .
Yah, I guess I was hoping there was a bushing that wouldn't eat into the mounting brackets as it wears out.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:53 AM
Less is Better

It doesn't say that you have to keep all the same materials, just that you have to use a bushing that uses the same material as original. Does that rule mean that you can replace the plastic/rubber/plastic sandwich that makes up our bushings with a straight plastic part of the same material?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
It doesn't say that you have to keep all the same materials, just that you have to use a bushing that uses the same material as original. Does that rule mean that you can replace the plastic/rubber/plastic sandwich that makes up our bushings with a straight plastic part of the same material?
Don't torture the rule. Just put OE back in. I would protest you if you had aftermarket bushings that didn't match the materials and dimensions of standard... and I don't protest.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
No, it's come up before. There's actually been clarifications that even having metal sleeving/etc around an otherwise stock material bushing is no go, even if there is no perceived stiffness benefit. It does indeed mean that you must keep the same materials, including the same hardness of otherwise same materials (rubbers), and can't change proportions of bushings that have metal sleeves/etc to have more or less. You also cannot poly-fill bushings that have gaps, which was another common loophole "But I kept the stock bushing! I just filled all the empty space with poly.."

Sandwiching things or adding additional parts equates to changing mounting points/geometry, which is also prohibited.

I haven't read the rules in some years, but there is an overall clause in them or always was before that says something to the effect of "All other changes than explicitly listed are prohibited."
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Bummer. Alrighty then stock bushings it is.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:28 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supagoat View Post
Bummer. Alrighty then stock bushings it is.
Consider using our OEalt bushes - they marginally stiffer than stock.
Attached Images

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:30 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by esseye View Post
No, it's come up before. There's actually been clarifications that even having metal sleeving/etc around an otherwise stock material bushing is no go, even if there is no perceived stiffness benefit. It does indeed mean that you must keep the same materials, including the same hardness of otherwise same materials (rubbers), and can't change proportions of bushings that have metal sleeves/etc to have more or less. You also cannot poly-fill bushings that have gaps, which was another common loophole "But I kept the stock bushing! I just filled all the empty space with poly.."

Sandwiching things or adding additional parts equates to changing mounting points/geometry, which is also prohibited.

I haven't read the rules in some years, but there is an overall clause in them or always was before that says something to the effect of "All other changes than explicitly listed are prohibited."
The rule wording is too ambiguous if that's the case. It should just state something to the effect that unmodified, stock suspension bushings are required.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
The rule wording is too ambiguous if that's the case. It should just state something to the effect that unmodified, stock suspension bushings are required.
It's meant to allow for OE-replacement bushings that are not from the OEM, as tends to be required for many vehicles where you can't necessarily get original parts any longer. The rules are very clear on the "unless explicitly stated, it is not allowed" on every single category.

All that said, unless the car is a dedicated autox car, don't let your class define you! Do what you want with the car, and just drive the appropriate class that results. Unless you're actually going out to nationals and trying to finish in the top 10, it's not going to change your experience significantly. I ran what should have been a very not-competitive Subaru in ESP for a few years just because it had a modified ECU tune - not for power, just because the stock tune had detonation, so I actually ran lower boost and a bit less timing. It was still a ton of fun, just made you want to drive that much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in