Little clunks in steering - NOT the steering rack thread - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discocubizm View Post
I didn't specifically ask to check the intermediate shaft joints...would those be checked when the the steering rack was installed? What sort of noise does a loose intermediate shaft joint make? The steering actually feels pretty tight now. I can't detect any play or noise in the steering. The clunking sound is mostly at low speeds over bumpy roads.
Take off the clam, and check the heater and A/C unit.

S240 Exige S with BOE FW300 + over 40 mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I didn't specifically ask to check the intermediate shaft joints...would those be checked when the the steering rack was installed? What sort of noise does a loose intermediate shaft joint make? The steering actually feels pretty tight now. I can't detect any play or noise in the steering. The clunking sound is mostly at low speeds over bumpy roads.
If you really don't feel anything through the steering wheel, it must be something else then.

Is the BWR sway bar using the stock end links and bushings/brackets ?

It is also possible that the noise come from one of the shocks. Is the noise coming from de left, right ore both front corners?

07 autumn gold Elise
08 VW GTI
07 Passat wagon
92 Isuzu Stylus RS "Handling by Lotus"
14 Fiat 500L
93 Asuna Sunfire x2

Last edited by impulsiv; 08-20-2011 at 09:47 AM.
post #123 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsiv View Post
If you really don't feel anything through the steering wheel, it must be something else then.

Is the BWR sway bar using the stock end links and bushings/brackets ?

It is also possible that the noise come from one of the shocks. Is the noise coming from de left, right ore both front corners?
The BWR sway bar came with new end links and I had them put on Sector 111 track rod ends with the steering rack. As far as I can tell it is coming from the driver's side of the car.

2005 Lotus Elise (Arctic Silver) Touring, LSS, Dual Oil Coolers, Stage II exhaust, Fujita Intake, Hardtop
2010 Ford Raptor SVT (Blue Flame Metallic) Stainless Works Exhaust, Roush intake
2005 Lotus Elise (Arctic Silver) Touring, LSS shocks, BWR sway bar, Cup Airbox, Stage II exhaust, QR steering rack - Sold

post #124 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 03:27 PM

I fixed mine, i turned off my hearing aids.
79 YO sam
post #125 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMMY1 View Post
I fixed mine, i turned off my hearing aids.
79 YO sam
Haha. I find that turning up the volume on the radio makes that infernal racket from the front end tolerable.

2005 Lotus Elise (Arctic Silver) Touring, LSS, Dual Oil Coolers, Stage II exhaust, Fujita Intake, Hardtop
2010 Ford Raptor SVT (Blue Flame Metallic) Stainless Works Exhaust, Roush intake
2005 Lotus Elise (Arctic Silver) Touring, LSS shocks, BWR sway bar, Cup Airbox, Stage II exhaust, QR steering rack - Sold
post #126 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

IMO, based on my experiece w/ having Konis being installed on a '92 Miata, a bad shock could be a noise source. 4 new Konis installed, the RF was bad out of the box. Clunking noise from the bad one, no noises from the good ones. Could feel it through the wheel on the Miata too. Bad from the factory. So much for quality control. Great thread - going to order my tourque wrenches now and bond with my car.

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
post #127 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 12:35 PM

I recorded a 20 second audio clip of the front end making the clunking noise:

The audio clip was recorded coasting down a local street with reasonable paving at about 20mph. The engine is off to better appreciate the noise.

In response to Komiko's comments about the shocks, the people at the service department at Lotus of Atlanta said they've only really gotten complaints about front end noise/clunking from Elise owners with the base suspension. Apparently, in their experience, the LSS suspension Elises haven't caused any problems (excluding faulty steering racks of course).

post #128 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:03 PM

I am probably oversimplifying the issue, but try tightening your lug nuts to 80 ft-lb (on all four wheels), opposed to the recommended 77 ft-lb, and see if that makes a difference.
post #129 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
...In response to Komiko's comments about the shocks, the people at the service department at Lotus of Atlanta said they've only really gotten complaints about front end noise/clunking from Elise owners with the base suspension. Apparently, in their experience, the LSS suspension Elises haven't caused any problems (excluding faulty steering racks of course).
I have the LSS shocks/springs, and I have temperature dependent clunking (clunks when hot). I used to have the base shocks/springs, and had more clunking dependent. It got less when I switched to the LSS units. (I retorqued all bolts and nuts and retested for clunking well before I switched the shocks/springs.)
post #130 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 03:15 AM
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

Quote:
I recorded a 20 second audio clip of the front end making the clunking noise:

Elise clunking - YouTube

The audio clip was recorded coasting down a local street with reasonable paving at about 20mph. The engine is off to better appreciate the noise.

In response to Komiko's comments about the shocks, the people at the service department at Lotus of Atlanta said they've only really gotten complaints about front end noise/clunking from Elise owners with the base suspension. Apparently, in their experience, the LSS suspension Elises haven't caused any problems (excluding faulty steering racks of course).
WOW - nice tape! Sounds like you have very loud tenants living in your wheel wells!. Seriously, my post was meant to merely include the shock into the circle of possible point sources. I do have base suspension BTW, and while I don't intend to "dis" Bilstein, (or Koni ftm) I know just how poorly made shocks can be. I really want some HQ shocks for this car. Maybe we could get some sound cancelling shocks from BOSE?

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
post #131 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 06:13 PM

That is my clunking too..... I do feel it in the wheel... I believe it is the intermediate shaft too but it IS temperature dependent. I will not be replacing the rack until I have a different suspension on the car just for reference... To the person that posted the video, did you replace the rack and still have that sound?

Wes
2005 GG Elise
post #132 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
That is my clunking too..... I do feel it in the wheel... I believe it is the intermediate shaft too but it IS temperature dependent. I will not be replacing the rack until I have a different suspension on the car just for reference... To the person that posted the video, did you replace the rack and still have that sound?
Wes - That video that I posted was with a new Titan QR steering rack and a new BWR sway bar. I was led to believe that replacing the steering rack would solve the problem with the clunking felt in the steering wheel as well as the noise...well it only solved one of those problems.

post #133 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 04:25 PM

My bolts were loose as well

Thanks for the info in this thread. I have only had my car a few months, and thought the clunking was a little abnormal. I wasn't sure if it was just me being paranoid that there was a problem. Today I checked the bolts. Sure enough, the two bottom bolts were a little loose, the passenger side upper bolt was fairly loose, and the driver's side upper bolt was really loose. I couldn't believe it. The steering feedback feels a lot better now.

As stated before, every owner should perform this check.
post #134 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracer35 View Post
Thanks for the info in this thread. I have only had my car a few months, and thought the clunking was a little abnormal. I wasn't sure if it was just me being paranoid that there was a problem. Today I checked the bolts. Sure enough, the two bottom bolts were a little loose, the passenger side upper bolt was fairly loose, and the driver's side upper bolt was really loose. I couldn't believe it. The steering feedback feels a lot better now.

As stated before, every owner should perform this check.
I assume you mean the upper shock bracket to frame bolts. Given they were so loose, you should strongly consider replacing those bolts. The bolts weren't designed to take a sideways force, so they may now be damaged. I replaced mine with a higher class (10.9) and increased the torque to 26 ft-lbs.
post #135 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Wes - That video that I posted was with a new Titan QR steering rack and a new BWR sway bar. I was led to believe that replacing the steering rack would solve the problem with the clunking felt in the steering wheel as well as the noise...well it only solved one of those problems.
I suspect the shaft and intermediate shaft inside the car are contributors as well. I was at the dealership yesterday and it looks like they order the entire assembly as one piece based on the parts book diagram. it runs about $380 for the lot...

I do not plan on replacing anything until I change the suspension components and see what it sounds like afterwards....

Let us know if you get any further...

Wes
2005 GG Elise
post #136 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 PM

I think I finally found my rattle when warm out issue. I swapped my front brake pads side to side, and cleaned out the calipers with brake clean. It's been a few days, with warm temps out, and so far no annoying rattle. I'd give it a shot if you have a similar issue, it was pretty quick and easy.
post #137 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [P²] View Post
I think I finally found my rattle when warm out issue. I swapped my front brake pads side to side, and cleaned out the calipers with brake clean. It's been a few days, with warm temps out, and so far no annoying rattle. I'd give it a shot if you have a similar issue, it was pretty quick and easy.
I had a brake rattling problem as well. See the following thread:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/...ke-pads-78816/
Make note of post 14 in that thread, where it describes "brake pad buffers" that you can buy to solve the pad rattling problem. It is due to high performance pads having a slightly smaller than normal backing plate so that they have room to expand in the caliper when under high heat conditions (like braking at a race track). However, the nature of that problem is that pads rattle when they are cold, not hot. But, you could add the buffers and see if that helps. I will be (I just ordered a bunch last week - the shipping is so high from England that I decided to order 6 sets because they are individually cheap).

And, of course, use silicone or copper brake lubricant on the back of the pad plates. And, make sure your anti-rattle springs are applying pressure on the pads. Rebend them a little if necessary.
post #138 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 07:29 AM

Garage
I've had a slight clunk/play for a little while, and yesterday my mechanic identified it. Today I found this thread and took a video of it:

As the video clearly shows, the U joint is wearing, and the rod nearer the driver is moving more than the far end. At the steering wheel this creates about an eight to a quarter of an inch of play (measured on the wheel outer circumferance). The play is best observed if you move the wheel with just your pinky finger lightly applied (in otherwords no real force needed). This probably also makes it more difficult for me to make smooth adjustments while auto-crossing, as each transition from clockwise to counter-clockwise input is allowed to accelerate unhindered

It seems that this is only sold as an assembly at lotusgarage

Lotus Garage - Rack & Pinion, & Lower Column

And it's not particularly cheap.

Any ideas of how to fix this, or comparisons with your vehicles are welcome

2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black # 111 SSM NER SCCA Solo - 1835lbs up to 1.65 Lat [email protected]~55mph (asphalt) 193whp 142wtq Normally Aspirated.

http://www.the111shift.com/p/the-build.html

https://www.youtube.com/c/the111shift
post #139 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 08:26 AM

^ that is what I have narrowed it down too on my car as well. I also went to the local dealership to research that part and it is only sold (AFAIK) as a complete assembly and their price was the same as the site you posted.

Another owner commented on replacing the lower joint and having success however I do not know the specifics.

Please let us know if you order the part and perform the replacement yourself, that will likely be my route over the winter months...

Wes
2005 GG Elise
post #140 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 04:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
^ that is what I have narrowed it down too on my car as well. I also went to the local dealership to research that part and it is only sold (AFAIK) as a complete assembly and their price was the same as the site you posted.

Another owner commented on replacing the lower joint and having success however I do not know the specifics.

Please let us know if you order the part and perform the replacement yourself, that will likely be my route over the winter months...
My mechanic mentioned that he believed that this part maybe was changed in 2006+, but he didn't sound 100% sure. I'm curious if anyone with a car that is later than 2005 has had any issue with this joint getting worn (not a loose nut on the attach point which isn't the same as my problem).

Also, do you autocross? I would have to guess that autocross on Hoosier A6's is about the maximum wear on this part possible...

2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black # 111 SSM NER SCCA Solo - 1835lbs up to 1.65 Lat [email protected]~55mph (asphalt) 193whp 142wtq Normally Aspirated.

http://www.the111shift.com/p/the-build.html

https://www.youtube.com/c/the111shift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in