Not again! Another tread thread - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By VisualEchos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
German Reimport

Not again! Another tread thread

Since weve never had a tire thread on LT before, I figured I just finally go ahead and start one

My setup has always been two sets of LSS wheels, both with the 6,5 fronts.
One set with R888 for the track (195/50/16 and 225/45/17).
One set with AD08R for the street (205/45/16 and 245/40/17).

The R888 are no longer available, so I need to think about something else.
I could switch to R888R and keep doing what Ive done for the last 12 years, one set for street and one for track.
But some racing guru tells me the RE-71R is only marginally slower than the R888 (as well ass the R888R?) while being more consistent over its lifetime and less picky about pressures and temps.
And they would be ok even in the occasional rain shower on the street.
I would like to stick with the AD08R for street use, but the 205/45/16 front size is not available in the US (I got mine when I was overseas). So I'll probably need to switch to a different type of street tires eventually.

Some other details:
- between 4 and 8 track days a year, some of them with run groups (around 100 to 125 track miles a day), some open track (around 300+ track miles a day).
- advanced group driver
- Cobald XR2/XR3 on track, Pagid blues on the street
- Penske SA
- between 2000 and 5000 street miles per year (lately it has been closer to 2000).
- no trailer (need to be able to drive to the track on whatever tire I run)
- dont necessarily want to run R-comps on the street

So which tire(s) would you get and would you stick to two different sets?

And I know, this thread will not result in one clear answer

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 02:04 PM

The reason you won't get a clear answer is that there is no ONE tire that will properly meet your needs.

It never ceases to amazes me how people will spend $60K on a car they can track, street, drive in rain/cold, but won't buy at least 2 sets of wheels and tires to get the proper performance for each application.

Street: AD08R - probably can't be beat
Mild track days: 888R - probably can't be beat

AT A MINIMUM.

Just my opinion, of course.
brgelise likes this.

2006 Exige
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
German Reimport

I'm not saying that I don't want to spend the $$$ to keep having two sets of rubber, each for its own job.
The question is what the options are since the AD08R are not available in the right size for the fronts, at least not in the US.
So if I go to mount RE71s for the street instead, does it then still make sense to have R888Rs for the track?
The difference between the two seems to be marginal from what I hear.
I would like to get slicks, but that would involve getting a trailer first (unless I drive the licks on the street like you do to get from and to the track).

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 08:15 AM

R888R will not suffice for any significant rain while your street tires will be good at track on rain day as well as daily street use. You need 2 sets. Might as well run Hoosiers at track BTW

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V1 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]->stunning 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather (LUCY)
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
I'm not saying that I don't want to spend the $$$ to keep having two sets of rubber, each for its own job.
The question is what the options are since the AD08R are not available in the right size for the fronts, at least not in the US.
So if I go to mount RE71s for the street instead, does it then still make sense to have R888Rs for the track?
The difference between the two seems to be marginal from what I hear.
I would like to get slicks, but that would involve getting a trailer first (unless I drive the licks on the street like you do to get from and to the track).
The correct size front AD08R (205/45/16) can be sourced.

Accept no substitute I say, especially when the front tires last FOREVER on this car.

And you can drive slicks on the street, you just can't hit standing water with them, and you'll destroy them if you use them for too long on the Interstate, so it all depends on how far you are from the track.

If I had a track car I'd have the Hoosier A7's for damn sure.

2006 Exige
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 08:21 AM

The Hankook Ventus R-S4 is available in the 205/45/16 size. They are not as fast as the RE71s but are durable, and very consistent on track. We have been running them on our Lucky Dog endurance race car.

You could put a trailer hitch on the Elise and pull a small harbor freight trailer with tires, cooler, and tools. A lot of autocrossers doing this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:57 AM

I've ran three sets of RE71Rs and they're absolutely fine on both street and track (and I track a lot). They're only marginally slower than R888Rs, if they're slower at all. They do handle rain okay, but note that the wear of the RE71Rs will match that of the R888Rs. Regardless, if you're tracking hard, you'll heat cycle the tires before you wear off the tread. Better yet, the RE71Rs don't seem picky at all in terms of temperature and pressures.

I'm currently running Trofeo Rs, which is a bit of a left field choice. They're finicky, require warm up, and need just the right pressure, but dialed in they're faster than the RE71R. However, I still think the RE71R is the better value tire.

2011 Lotus Elise SC Final Edition 15 of 15 - Ardent Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in