Since we’ve never had a tire thread on LT before, I figured I just finally go ahead and start one
My setup has always been two sets of LSS wheels, both with the 6,5” fronts.
One set with R888 for the track (195/50/16 and 225/45/17).
One set with AD08R for the street (205/45/16 and 245/40/17).
The R888 are no longer available, so I need to think about something else.
I could switch to R888R and keep doing what I’ve done for the last 12 years, one set for street and one for track.
But some racing guru tells me the RE-71R is only marginally slower than the R888 (as well ass the R888R?) while being more consistent over its lifetime and less picky about pressures and temps.
And they would be ok even in the occasional rain shower on the street.
I would like to stick with the AD08R for street use, but the 205/45/16 front size is not available in the US (I got mine when I was overseas). So I'll probably need to switch to a different type of street tires eventually.
Some other details:
- between 4 and 8 track days a year, some of them with run groups (around 100 to 125 track miles a day), some open track (around 300+ track miles a day).
- advanced group driver
- Cobald XR2/XR3 on track, Pagid blues on the street
- Penske SA
- between 2000 and 5000 street miles per year (lately it has been closer to 2000).
- no trailer (need to be able to drive to the track on whatever tire I run)
- don’t necessarily want to run R-comps on the street
So which tire(s) would you get and would you stick to two different sets?
And I know, this thread will not result in one clear answer