Odd, kinda terrifying sensation when turning - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Odd, kinda terrifying sensation when turning

I posted this in a thread I created in the Evora section but not much bit on it. 2010 Evora
I got a weird issue that I have just been noticing with my Evora. When I am driving spirited and make a harder right turn it feels like the front right brake comes on hard, like it wants to rip the tire off the wheel. I thought it was only right, hard turns. Going left hard or soft, I could only reproduce it once. Going right with a gradual turn, no issues. Making a sharp turn right turn slow at a corner, nothing. the way I would explain the feeling is when I am turning, it literally feels like someone throws a steel rod into my wheel. I scares the **** out of me when it happens.

Also, when I am stopped and turned at lock or close to lock, when I go reserves, the front wheel pops. feels like the wheel tries to flip over sideways...like slipping on a piece of gravel. I took the wheel off and looked, seems like every bolt and nut is tight.

Clueless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update on this, I still can't figure it out. It will happen every time I drive the car but not every turn. When I make a right turn, it feels like the front is pushing out hard for like a second, like I am hitting ice - it just wants to slide hard. If I keep making right turns it is gone, only happens on the 1st right turn. If I make a left, it happens but not as hard, barely noticeable. Then, the next right, it comes on hard again for the first turn. There is no thump or sound that I am noticing (I had the windows down) but then again, I am usually in a panic when it happens.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 03:19 PM

Sorry I can't offer any guidance on figuring this out. I'm surprised nobody has chimed in, this sounds pretty serious.

My advice is that you shouldn't be driving the car until it gets fixed.

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Y. Berra

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 04:55 PM

Just curious, have you noticed the traction control light flickering when the issue occurs? It's a long shot, but you may want to pull your wheels and see if there is any debris in the calipers

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
no, no lights. and it is only for a split second. I am not driving the car now, other than to take it to get checked. it is not like I am completely out of control, as i never rloss my lane or anything. it is just for a split second, that will send chills down your spine - but after that, everything is fine.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 05:41 AM

Garage
when was the last brake fluid flush? something is probably jamming up no? OR like above, traction control is doing something funky.

Lotus Elise '05 Graphite Grey; Miles: 41,xxx
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 10:14 AM
xtn

Is the wheel/tire actually locking up? I mean, that would be pretty dang obvious I would think. I'd stick a GoPro on the door aimed at the wheel and induce the problem so I could see what's happening.

xtn

2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
no, the wheel is not actually locking up. I think it has something electrical wrong with it - either traction control or speed sensor related, i really doubt it is mechanical because i would expect to hear a thump or something. this started happening after I took it up to the dealership to get the airbag light turned off that occurred at the place I bought the car from when they jumped it. the lotus dealership said they noticed a bunch of codes and such and took care of them. ever since, this is happening.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 04:36 PM

Im not an expert either but I'm suspecting it could be mechanical. How about bringing it back to the shop?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman1975 View Post
Im not an expert either but I'm suspecting it could be mechanical. How about bringing it back to the shop?
That is the plan, just wanted to go in with some kind of a clue instead of head shrugs.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 07:08 AM

Garage
Are you running OEM wheels still? I had a similar issue when I was running an aftermarket wheel with spacers on my Elise. Rear end would randomly have brake drag. I figured it out when I switched back rear wheels, but never figured out why it happened.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
yes OEM wheels
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 11:14 AM

I think one reason many people aren't chiming in is because the description is all over the place - not an insult to you at all but something isn't adding up and that could be a clue in of itself. You say it feels "electrical" but then you say the front feels like it is sliding but then you say it is not feeling like it locked up. Are you on the brakes when this happens? If you are not on the brakes, there cannot be brake intervention, so that system is ruled out (basing this on the understanding that the Evora does not have the ability to add hydraulic pressure as some systems do, so please correct me if I am wrong). If you are on the brakes, then TC and ESC are ruled out but not ABS.

What is the steering wheel doing during all this? Vibrating, going light, etc?

Could it simply be an oily road? I hit an oily road one time and my passenger and I both got out to check mechanicals because it felt like a suspension component was loose since the car oversteered with the slightest input.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
I think one reason many people aren't chiming in is because the description is all over the place - not an insult to you at all but something isn't adding up and that could be a clue in of itself. You say it feels "electrical" but then you say the front feels like it is sliding but then you say it is not feeling like it locked up. Are you on the brakes when this happens? If you are not on the brakes, there cannot be brake intervention, so that system is ruled out (basing this on the understanding that the Evora does not have the ability to add hydraulic pressure as some systems do, so please correct me if I am wrong). If you are on the brakes, then TC and ESC are ruled out but not ABS.

What is the steering wheel doing during all this? Vibrating, going light, etc?

Could it simply be an oily road? I hit an oily road one time and my passenger and I both got out to check mechanicals because it felt like a suspension component was loose since the car oversteered with the slightest input.
you are right, this was all over the place. i wrote it on what I thought was going on at first. it scared the hell out of me and I didn't want to replicate it on the ride home. a couple days later, i took it to a safe spot and tried to figure out it - that was my 2nd post and a better interpretation of what was going on. nothing was actually locking up.

Wright Lotus in Wexford looked at it today and I tried to explain what was going on. They check all the sensor and stuff, everything looked good. Then they tried to replicate it, which they couldn't so a tech went out with me, which I quickly got it to do. They tore apart the front suspension and everything checked out fine. No issues with bolts, bushings, bearing, etc. The tech then noticed my tires were extremely torn on the inside to the point where they were unsafe to drive on and the centers are extremely cupped and ringed. He said that my alignment was completely jacked on it. He said because of that, this would be the reason why I can being thrown randomly and unpredictably all over the place. So I just placed an order for tires and gonna head back to get things all lined up.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mump View Post
you are right, this was all over the place. i wrote it on what I thought was going on at first. it scared the hell out of me and I didn't want to replicate it on the ride home. a couple days later, i took it to a safe spot and tried to figure out it - that was my 2nd post and a better interpretation of what was going on. nothing was actually locking up.

Wright Lotus in Wexford looked at it today and I tried to explain what was going on. They check all the sensor and stuff, everything looked good. Then they tried to replicate it, which they couldn't so a tech went out with me, which I quickly got it to do. They tore apart the front suspension and everything checked out fine. No issues with bolts, bushings, bearing, etc. The tech then noticed my tires were extremely torn on the inside to the point where they were unsafe to drive on and the centers are extremely cupped and ringed. He said that my alignment was completely jacked on it. He said because of that, this would be the reason why I can being thrown randomly and unpredictably all over the place. So I just placed an order for tires and gonna head back to get things all lined up.

Makes sense! Glad it isn't anything major

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:59 PM

I actually have a very similar experience. I first noticed it somewhat when I replaced the front tires. It was very minor though. Since a new set of brakes it has gotten noticeably worse. When turning right and cornering even a little hard it feels like the brakes are pulsing and/or the front tires are understeering for just a split second before grabbing. This slipping pulse will happen maybe six time in a single quick corner.

OEM wheels on a 2010 NA EVORA.

Did an alignment fix your issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in