OE Center Caps on Rota Torques (3D Printed Adapters) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up OE Center Caps on Rota Torques (3D Printed Adapters)

3D Printed some simple adapters from the Rota Torque center cap size to the Lotus center cap size.

Rota Torque center caps are 62mm across. The Lotus caps have a 50mm ID for the section that attaches to the wheel. The Rotas have a lip about 1.5mm in to hold clips to. The Lotus caps have their clips inset 3mm.

Could use a bit larger "clips" to go into the wheel but I just applied some silicone (better safe than sorry) and they're in there solidly now. The OE caps snap in very strong and I'm not worried about them coming loose.

Wouldn't use these at the track as the ABS would probably warp under the heat, but since the Rotas are my street wheels they're perfect.

Attached the STL file if anyone else with a printer wants to use it - again, I'd probably make the clips a bit bigger if I did it again, but they work.

Oh, and these will only work with the "Tall" OE caps. The "Short" style won't clear the rear axle nut. Some taller adapters could be made but more finish work would be required to make them look good.

Printing:

Before paint:

Painted:

Turned out:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 11:30 AM

I don't know why no one makes aluminum center caps for our wheels. It seems so flimsy to have beautiful wheels with plastic caps.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
I don't know why no one makes aluminum center caps for our wheels. It seems so flimsy to have beautiful wheels with plastic caps.
I don't think I've ever seen an all-aluminum center cap, honestly... they all have some sort of plastic clip system. I do agree that the Lotus caps aren't very high quality though. A friend made fun of me for making these adapters just to transfer such generic caps over rather than buying an eBay set.

In defense of the Lotus caps they don't seem to melt as readily as other caps, and the "tall" caps worked great on the rear hubs where the axle/axle nut sticks out a bit.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri3d View Post
I don't think I've ever seen an all-aluminum center cap, honestly... they all have some sort of plastic clip system. I do agree that the Lotus caps aren't very high quality though. A friend made fun of me for making these adapters just to transfer such generic caps over rather than buying an eBay set.

In defense of the Lotus caps they don't seem to melt as readily as other caps, and the "tall" caps worked great on the rear hubs where the axle/axle nut sticks out a bit.
It would be nice if someone made these. I mean, the form could be 3D printed and then cast pretty easily.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:11 AM

Nice! You should make some more, group buy?

06 OCM elise r.i.p.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri3d View Post
I don't think I've ever seen an all-aluminum center cap, honestly...
Like these?

Actually 2 of these flew off on the track... Lotus only made 20 sets of these for the Esprit X180-R cars! Kind of expensive if you can imagine! Also wheels expand and heat up a lot on track!

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 02:59 AM

Do you have to create your designs in a CAD like software? Can you pay for download schematics anywhere? Also how much does the material run?

http://www.youtube.com/jerusdc
BOE TVS
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 06:20 PM

Is anyone capable/interested in making me a set of these Rota adaptors? I'd be willing to fairly compensate whoever for their time.

Let me know. Thanks.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 06:32 PM

Same, I thought bri3d was going to make them

06 OCM elise r.i.p.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

I didn't really plan on selling these, but I'm glad people are interested.

The .STL file (a kind of 3D model which is used in 3D printing) was and is attached to the original post for those with access to a printer.

Like I say in the first post, there are a few revisions I would like to make to the clips which hold the adapters into the Rota wheels. The ones that are on my car (and in the attached file) work. They have been on my car for over a month and about 800 miles of somewhat spirited driving. However I just eyeballed the fitment and they could engage a lot better. I used a dab of silicone on my car to keep them really secure, and I'd like to make them fit well enough to make that unnecessary.

I made these using OpenSCAD, which is a programming language for making CAD models. I'm a programmer, so that was the most intuitive way for me. Obviously you could make something similar in SolidWorks, AutoCAD, CATIA, or whatever CAD software you're familiar with.

The material is VERY cheap. These weigh probably ten grams each, and a kilogram of ABS plastic filament is around $25. That's less than $0.10 an adapter. The time is the most expensive part as my printer is very crappy and slow and takes about 40 minutes per adapter, but even still they're not exactly pricy.

Since there's interest I'll make some revisions to the model and post it. I'm not sure I'll have the time to make and sell them myself, but you can use a third party like Shapeways to print the model out for you.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 12:30 PM

Ok. Thanks for all of the legwork. That wasn't my intention, but it's really cool that you're taking the time.

I did realize that you didn't want to sell them, but figured someone with access to a 3D printer would be interested.

If all else fails, I'll contract it out to someone but this is just not my area of expertise and I hate contacting someone to order something that I know very little about.

Thanks again
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 01:59 PM

Possible to attach the .stl file again ? Want to try and print out the adaptor
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

I've had a lot of inquiries about the STL and I'm looking around but may have lost the file (it's somewhere, but I must have named it something stupid).

I think I posted enough of the measurements to reproduce it without too much work so I'm going to try to cook up a new one tonight and test it on the wheels tomorrow.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 10:11 AM

Any updates on this? Thinking about getting a set of Rotas (just because they look so awesome on our cars) and would like the OE look on the center caps! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in