OUTERPLUS Front 6 Pot Brake Caliper & Big Rotor Kit - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

OUTERPLUS Front 6 Pot Brake Caliper & Big Rotor Kit

While looking at available parts for my Exige I came across a 6 pot 320mm front big brake kit from Outerplus but could find little information on it online. Anyone here have any experience with this kit or more information on it? Below are some photos of the kit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 02:55 AM
Sig

Garage
Can you post a link for those parts?

Whoever said that island life is great was never committed to Alcatraz...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:29 AM
The Enforcer

https://garageshimaya.com/en/product/55

On sale in yellow or white (only).

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 05:20 AM

Looks Janky.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
https://garageshimaya.com/en/product/55

On sale in yellow or white (only).

San
What he said. Unclear though whether that is for a front set or for a single rotor, caliper and line (gotta assume it's a full front kit though). Contacted them yesterday via e-mail for clarification and any additional details, no response yet.

Last edited by JiveTurkey; 12-20-2018 at 11:44 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
Looks Janky.
What's Janky about it? Isn't Outerplus known as a high end tuner out of Japan? All of their other parts appear to top knotch.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
What's Janky about it? Isn't Outerplus known as a high end tuner out of Japan? All of their other parts appear to top knotch.
Outerplus isn't a brake company. They just sell stuff with their name. That's janky.
Liftnot2 likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Meh, doesn't mean it's janky. Lots of high quality aftermarket tuners do this. Looks like the actual caliper manufacturer may be Endless. They make a very similair caliper for the J's racing kit that fits the S2000. They are also in Japan, which would make sense. Can't find an exact match on the Endless website though.

Similair S2000 Caliper

Last edited by JiveTurkey; 12-20-2018 at 01:04 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 01:25 PM

Gotta be careful with those guys, they offer quality parts for sure, but much of it is waaaaaay overkill.

2006 Exige
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Gotta be careful with those guys, they offer quality parts for sure, but much of it is waaaaaay overkill.
Yeah I have noticed a number of their parts seem to be overkill (i.e. their titanium suspension bolts and their suspension arm replacements). This is actually what I would be most concerned about with this kit. Without knowing the details around it, could be that the calipers are oversized and would require an overhaul of the rest of the brake system to get good front to rear braking balance and decent pedal travel. However, at almost $1,000 less (while on sale anyway) than an equivalent AP kit may be worth giving it a shot. Still haven't heard back from garageshimaya.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 11:23 AM
The Enforcer

Someone asked for a link and I provided it. I didn't provide a recommendation, opinion, or guaranteed (implied or otherwise) that said company is "janky" or not.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 11:54 AM
He's on fire!

Quote:
Yeah I have noticed a number of their parts seem to be overkill (i.e. their titanium suspension bolts and their suspension arm replacements). This is actually what I would be most concerned about with this kit. Without knowing the details around it, could be that the calipers are oversized and would require an overhaul of the rest of the brake system to get good front to rear braking balance and decent pedal travel. However, at almost $1,000 less (while on sale anyway) than an equivalent AP kit may be worth giving it a shot. Still haven't heard back from garageshimaya.
Looking at advice from those that race their cars, the consensus seems to be that the stock AP 4 piston calipers have worse braking balance than the 2 pots. If you're going to install dual masters and all that, then maybe go for it?

Side questions would be - where do replacement rotors come from? What wheel changes are required in order for these to fit?

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
Looking at advice from those that race their cars, the consensus seems to be that the stock AP 4 piston calipers have worse braking balance than the 2 pots. If you're going to install dual masters and all that, then maybe go for it?

Side questions would be - where do replacement rotors come from? What wheel changes are required in order for these to fit?

All great questions. From what Iíve read so far if you are doing the AP 308 upgrade so long as you move your stock fronts to the rear the balance isnít that bad. I assume you would do the same with these. However if the total area of the 6 pistons in these is larger than the 4 on the AP you could definitely see a problem. Judging by the pictures the caliper is likely close to the same size as the AP just with 6 pots. As far as I know Outer doesnít use or sell upgraded master cylinders this and the fact that caliper looks to be the same size would lead me to think the total area between the AP 4pot and OL 6 pot would be similar. As far as wheel size I know that a 315 can fit under a 16Ē LSS but a 330 requires 17Ē rim. Unsure whether these 320s would still fit under a 16Ē LSS. Too hard to tell what size rim that is in the picture. If anyone can recognize that rim/size it would be helpful in figuring it out. In regards to replacement rotors, may be able to run any 315 rotors if the 320 replacements for these are difficult to source. Hopefully I hear back from garage shimaya and they can help answer some of these questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 02:58 PM

Wheels in the picture look like the ToyBox48 Hethel, no idea on what that means for fitment though because other than what they look like I know nothing about the wheels.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 04:56 PM
He's on fire!

Outerplus isn't a brake manufacturer, so figuring out who actually built the caliper might help you figure out all those things... I'd assume you'd also want to have access to replacement seals and maybe know what pad backing plate this supports (as that might also help indicate affect on balance and/or identify the actual manufacturer). If outerplus is clearing these out you won't have any support from them going forward...

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
Outerplus isn't a brake manufacturer, so figuring out who actually built the caliper might help you figure out all those things... I'd assume you'd also want to have access to replacement seals and maybe know what pad backing plate this supports (as that might also help indicate affect on balance and/or identify the actual manufacturer). If outerplus is clearing these out you won't have any support from them going forward...

Yeah rebuild kits may be an issue. As far as pads I think these take fairly standard pads. I read much info about the S2000 kit I posted above that is very similar and the community found that caliper could take a large number of regularly available pads.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 10:01 PM

Really? A 6 pot for a sub 2000lbs car. Save your money...
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ventura 2 View Post
Really? A 6 pot for a sub 2000lbs car. Save your money...
When the 6 pot kit costs almost half of what the 4 pot kit costs cause it's on sale, why not? The number of pots has nothing to do with braking power in this case as the calipers/pads appear to be the same size as the AP 4 pots.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 11:02 AM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
When the 6 pot kit costs almost half of what the 4 pot kit costs cause it's on sale, why not? The number of pots has nothing to do with braking power in this case as the calipers/pads appear to be the same size as the AP 4 pots.
Not going to agrue about the cost savings, but you need to read a bit more about brakes. Just because the surface area of the pad is the same does not mean the braking force will be the same. The number and size of pistons does affect braking power. For example, there are three different two pot calipers from AP that use the stock front pad but all three apply different braking pressure.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
Not going to agrue about the cost savings, but you need to read a bit more about brakes. Just because the surface area of the pad is the same does not mean the braking force will be the same. The number and size of pistons does affect braking power. For example, there are three different two pot calipers from AP that use the stock front pad but all three apply different braking pressure.

Yeah I should probably clarify when I say area I mean the pistons surface area, aka the total force the pistons are applying. 2 pistons with the same area of 6 apply the same pressure. Generally you use a multi pot setup for 1 of 3 reasons. 1. You want more piston surface area ala force. 2. You want to run a larger pad. 3. You want to bias the force across the pad based on where the heat is. EE does a pretty good job of breaking it down quickly in the video below. I am assuming right now that the total piston surface area of the 6 pots in this caliper isnít drastically different than the 4 pots from AP.

https://youtu.be/tOlBec2APvs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in