Please explain ABS - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alphadawg
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Crazy05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 167
Please explain ABS

So I have been having an intermittent ABS light for the last 6 months or so... After I did my "go-cart" track day with lots on heavy breaking and twisty stuff the light has been off ever since. Does anyone have a clue of what may be the issue if any at all?

and no I have not made any mods to the breaks except for DBS rotors and Ferodo pads about 2 years ago. No problems existed till recently with the light on.

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
2012 Toyota Prius C Daily Commuter
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT
Crazy05 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:28 AM
Registered User
 
cyow5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NoVa
Posts: 3,842
Having an ABS light on is as ambiguous as having a check engine light - you really need to plug in and see what error is being reported. The problem though is that we don't have a readily available scan tool, so everyone reverts to a guessing game. The likely culprits are usually loose wires - wheel speed, power, brake sensor, etc. A loose wire could've been jarred in a way to make it tight again, too, but again it is a billion times easier to just have the stored code(s) read.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
cyow5 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Crazy05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
Having an ABS light on is as ambiguous as having a check engine light - you really need to plug in and see what error is being reported. The problem though is that we don't have a readily available scan tool, so everyone reverts to a guessing game. The likely culprits are usually loose wires - wheel speed, power, brake sensor, etc. A loose wire could've been jarred in a way to make it tight again, too, but again it is a billion times easier to just have the stored code(s) read.
^So is a dealer/service the only way to get the code scanned?

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
2012 Toyota Prius C Daily Commuter
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT
Crazy05 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:10 AM
Registered User
 
cyow5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NoVa
Posts: 3,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy05 View Post
^So is a dealer/service the only way to get the code scanned?
I'm not really sure what you're options are, but it at least gives you a search term to try and see how people have done it in the past. Maybe someone figured out a cross-reference that works. Despite how much I hate a bad diagnostic approach, I hate going to dealers even more. I looked in the service manual, and it is intentionally vague about the codes, but I think these are the options available:

BATTERY VOLTAGE System voltage
BRAKE LIGHT SW. Brake light switch
FL WHEEL SPEED Front left wheel speed
FR WHEEL SPEED Front right wheel speed
RL WHEEL SPEED Rear right wheel speed
RR WHEEL SPEED Rear right wheel speed
FRONT WHL SPEEDS Front wheel speed
REAR WHL SPEEDS Rear wheel speed

That's a pretty easy list to troubleshoot, but then again you don't actively have a problem. If you go around yanking wires to find which one was loose, you might end up just creating a new problem. Until the light comes back on, I think you're best two options are to go to a dealer or to pretend nothing ever happened. I'd lean towards the latter, honestly, if a visual inspection doesn't show anything obvious.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
cyow5 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Crazy05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
I'm not really sure what you're options are, but it at least gives you a search term to try and see how people have done it in the past. Maybe someone figured out a cross-reference that works. Despite how much I hate a bad diagnostic approach, I hate going to dealers even more. I looked in the service manual, and it is intentionally vague about the codes, but I think these are the options available:

BATTERY VOLTAGE System voltage
BRAKE LIGHT SW. Brake light switch
FL WHEEL SPEED Front left wheel speed
FR WHEEL SPEED Front right wheel speed
RL WHEEL SPEED Rear right wheel speed
RR WHEEL SPEED Rear right wheel speed
FRONT WHL SPEEDS Front wheel speed
REAR WHL SPEEDS Rear wheel speed

That's a pretty easy list to troubleshoot, but then again you don't actively have a problem. If you go around yanking wires to find which one was loose, you might end up just creating a new problem. Until the light comes back on, I think you're best two options are to go to a dealer or to pretend nothing ever happened. I'd lean towards the latter, honestly, if a visual inspection doesn't show anything obvious.
^Thanks for the info!

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
2012 Toyota Prius C Daily Commuter
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT
Crazy05 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:47 AM
Registered User
 
David Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,831
My ABS light started to come on a couple of years ago sort of randomly. It degenerated over perhaps a year and now it is generally ON all of the time.

Every once in a while it will be off for 1/2 hour of driving.

I did have the dealer look at it and they said it might be a defective ABS module, but admitted they were not sure.

I cleaned the contacts at the wheel sensors and also cleaned up the cable that plugs into the ABS module but that did not help.

I am guessing that in my case it is flaky wiring or a bad ABS module but I've decided to give up on fixing it.
David Craig is online now  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Crazy05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
My ABS light started to come on a couple of years ago sort of randomly. It degenerated over perhaps a year and now it is generally ON all of the time.

Every once in a while it will be off for 1/2 hour of driving.

I did have the dealer look at it and they said it might be a defective ABS module, but admitted they were not sure.

I cleaned the contacts at the wheel sensors and also cleaned up the cable that plugs into the ABS module but that did not help.

I am guessing that in my case it is flaky wiring or a bad ABS module but I've decided to give up on fixing it.
Do you or anyone know if the ABS will still function with leaving the light "ON"? Or should I test this on some dirt/gravel?

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
2012 Toyota Prius C Daily Commuter
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT
Crazy05 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:19 AM
Registered User
 
Julian73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Longview, TX
Posts: 4,271
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy05 View Post
Do you or anyone know if the ABS will still function with leaving the light "ON"? Or should I test this on some dirt/gravel?

I would test it out as under some faults it may disable itself.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype S 430 **SOLD**
Julian73 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:54 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 71
ABS

My ABS would not work when the light was on. I did recently send my module to Inokinetic. They rebuilt it and sent it back. No more light and the ABS works again!
Crazy05 likes this.
Alphadawg is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:16 AM
Registered User
 
David Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,831
That is interesting. Was it expensive to fix?
David Craig is online now  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:54 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 71
No, I think Inokinetic charged $199. Getting it out required front clam removal but I used that opportunity to replace the radiator too
Alphadawg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Door lock won't respond to fob again - Please explain this to me (again). Shiftlock General Discussion (Lotus related) 7 07-22-2005 09:00 AM
Please explain the 111 designation.. RSands General Discussion (Lotus related) 17 05-12-2005 05:03 PM
Will somebody PLEASE explain these to me... bvlg Track and Technique 5 02-15-2005 05:25 PM
Could someone please explain... GMorel1916 Lotus Elise 19 05-10-2004 02:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome