Tire Questions - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By VisualEchos
  • 1 Post By LostPawn
  • 1 Post By TachItUp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Tire Questions

Hey yall, Im wanting to put new shoes on my 05 Elise and have a couple questions.
I currently have F 205/45ZR16 R 235/45r17 mounted in Rota Torques. I came into a pair of AD07s in 175/55r16 and would like to mount those for the front. In the rear I would like to get another set of 235/45r17 (probably firehawks) for the rear.
This would be mostly a street car but there will be occasional track days. Ive read the 175s may improve handling over the 205s but realistically how much would it be? Also the 175s are about an inch bigger than the 205s. If I mount the same 235s in the rear and the 175s in front that would give me a slight rise in the front of the vehicle correct?
Im kind stupid when it comes to tires, hell I have no idea what the "Z" in ZR means so Im open to all suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:06 AM

Brother, you're all over the place here lol.

You're talking about mis-matching tires and doing occasional track days?

If you're just doing all this for fun then you're fine.

The 175/55/16 AD07 has an OD of 23.5", and good fitment for the Lotus (I prefer 22.8 to 23.1, but 23.5 is ok)
The 235/45/17 500 has an OD of 25.4, which is really about a half inch too tall, but it'll work. I prefer 24.4.

You need to think about the difference in OD between the two. 1.3" difference, with the rear being higher, is the rake that Lotus prefers.

You're going to be at 1.9 with the rear higher. I think you'll be fine.

But certainly I recommend different specs. You're driving a Lotus bro, not a Civic. There is absolutely no reason you can't have 2 sets of cheap wheels, Rota's if you like and 2 sets of good fitting tires that do 2 different things; one for the street and one for the track. Doing it this way will give you the best of both worlds, and storing your tires properly will allow you to use them effectively for years, especially those track tires.
6TVRs+ likes this.

2006 Exige
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:34 AM
Addict

Garage
Aside from what Echos states, and he has a ton of experience fitting different wheels/tires on this car, I would not recommend the 175 fronts for track use. Curious where you read those could be better than 205s. I could maybe see that if you have a rim too narrow for the 205s.
VisualEchos likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
Aside from what Echos states, and he has a ton of experience fitting different wheels/tires on this car, I would not recommend the 175 fronts for track use. Curious where you read those could be better than 205s. I could maybe see that if you have a rim too narrow for the 205s.
Probably more understeer making it safer, more bite from the 205 will make the car more twitchy for the novice.

2006 Exige
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:05 AM
Race & Pamper

Don't mix different tires. Only use matching ultra high performance tires.

Under no circumstance mix those different tire types. You have been warned.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

I’d like to stick with the ad07s front and the rota rims front and rear. So what would be a good choice for the rear tires?
Also thanks for the advice so far
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemgunner View Post
Id like to stick with the ad07s front and the rota rims front and rear. So what would be a good choice for the rear tires?
235/40/17 AD08R

2006 Exige
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:21 AM

What are the date codes on the AD07s? If you are going to track the car, a 175/235 combo is going to have significant understeer.
VisualEchos likes this.

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemgunner View Post
Id like to stick with the ad07s front and the rota rims front and rear. So what would be a good choice for the rear tires?
Also, the AD07 on the front is going to be really stretched on the the Rotas if they are 16x7. I've seen them on the stock LSS wheels though which are 16x6.5.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in