Type of Wishbone/A-arm bushings????? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Gunpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Enterprise AL
Posts: 4,098
Type of Wishbone/A-arm bushings?????

Hopefully somebody can explain this one.............?????????????????

Started changing my bushings tonight. Started on the right rear. Why? Most likely because it was closest to my beer.

Have all 4 out, top ones were purple and made of Poly, lower rear was rubber with a Teflon sleeve ( I think it was Teflon ), lower fwd. was rubber and two piece or it was broken, I couldn't tell after taking an hour to get it out.



Any explanations or identification on what is what type?

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Gunpilot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 01:28 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,339
The purple bushings looks like the powerflex brand.
Nessal is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 06:21 AM
Registered User
 
doug_porsche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 38th state
Posts: 2,249
The rubber with the Teflon sleeve is factory.

Apexes are a lot like relationships. So tough to get right, so easy to see where they went wrong.

The secret to a long life is ------- not dying.
doug_porsche is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 06:37 AM
Less is Better
 
me73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 2,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
The purple bushings looks like the powerflex brand.
I can confirm that the purple ones are definitely Powerflex Urethane bushes. I've installed a set on my car. Were they making noise? Why is the flange chewed up in the one in your picture?

The others are not teflon. They are a more economical plastic with rubber molded to them and the steel inner sleeve. Lotus uses natural color to denote the harder rubber compound and black plastic for the softer compound. They use the softer compound in the lower front position of the rear suspension.

Last edited by me73; 02-06-2014 at 09:29 PM.
me73 is online now  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 07:38 AM
Registered User
 
SyTyArchives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 161
Yep, powerflex and stock style rubber. That front lower one is actually 2 pressed in from each side.

I just finished a writeup for changing bushings that may be useful Installing Polyurethane Bushings on a Lotus Elise | HowTune.com

- Ian
05 StormTi Elise w/ 190,000 miles, 05 WRX STI, 91 GMC Syclone, 14 Scion FR-S
I build things like Howtune.com and EnvyRate.com
My how-to articles: https://howtune.com/uVq/iturgeon
SyTyArchives is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Less is Better
 
me73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 2,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyTyArchives View Post
Yep, powerflex and stock style rubber. That front lower one is actually 2 pressed in from each side.

I just finished a writeup for changing bushings that may be useful Installing Polyurethane Bushings on a Lotus Elise | HowTune.com
Nice write-up. The bushing press tool makes the removal of the old bushings very easy, as you noted.

I initially chose Powerflex because they installed in one piece like the stock bushings and were more pricey, so I assumed they were a better quality product. But I'm not happy with the fact that the Powerflex bushes are longer than the crush washers. It makes the a-arms difficult to install and forces the a-arm to rotate around the bushing instead of the bushing rotating around the crush tube. Looking at the pictures of the bushing in the original post give an indication of what happens to the extra length of the bushing after time. It permanently deforms on the back side of the a-arm where it is unsupported. The radial cross section thickness of urethane is also about double that of the rubber in the stock bushes since the urethane bushes have no plastic carrier. So they're still somewhat soft.

I bought a set of Superpro bushes after installing the Powerflex parts and find that they address all of the issues. They are the same length as the crush tune. They have internal knurling that retains the grease for long term service life. And the crush tube is much larger in diameter, leaving a much thinner band of urethane with less flex than the Powerflex parts. I'm going to use the Powerflex bushings for a while, but eventually they'll be replaced.

Here are the Superpro parts compared to the stock bushing. Note that the Powerflex crush tubes have the same diameter as the stock bushings.
Attached Images
     

Last edited by me73; 02-02-2014 at 09:27 AM.
me73 is online now  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Registered User
 
glagola1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,183
What are you putting in there in place of that garbage you've pushed out? I used the mono-ball set from Section 111 and I've been very happy with them after one season of auto-x.
glagola1 is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,339
Are the monoball much more expensive than urethane?
Nessal is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Gunpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Enterprise AL
Posts: 4,098
me73..... no noise but I wanted stiffer ones and didn't really think the PO had ever changed them out.

glagolola1......Im putting in Black Watch Racings self lubricating bushings.
Self-Lubricating Bushings

Thank you to all that replied. Just so we have this strait uppers/purple were Powerflex. Lowers were stock Lotus with the softer ones up front and this was a two piece bushing.

Just to clarify, the two piece ones up front had a single steel inner sleeve that passed thru the two bushings, or each bushing had its own sleeve?

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Gunpilot is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 514
replaced mine with blackwatch bushings. Very happy with result. Definitely buy the tool. Worth every penny. And get a can of moly grease for assembly.
It was definitely a pain in the ass 12 hr job!!!
///MD is offline  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MD View Post
replaced mine with blackwatch bushings. Very happy with result. Definitely buy the tool. Worth every penny. And get a can of moly grease for assembly.
It was definitely a pain in the ass 12 hr job!!!


Did you have the proper tools? Also what material is the bwr bushings?
Nessal is offline  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Gunpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Enterprise AL
Posts: 4,098
Don't know what the BWR bushings are made of but they are a lot harder than urethane. Bushings are expendable/durables in my book, like brake disks and pads. I can grow into the monoballs just as I can grow into full floating disks. Replace them as my skill increases and they wear out.

Only important tool I see you needing is the bushing removal tool BWR sells, other places do also.

A Big Ass screwdriver and a Rubber Mallet were my friends to gently move and pry the arms so the bolt holes would line up. Uppers are easy, lowers take some muscle and patience.






2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Gunpilot is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 AM
Less is Better
 
me73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 2,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpilot View Post
Just to clarify, the two piece ones up front had a single steel inner sleeve that passed thru the two bushings, or each bushing had its own sleeve?
Did you try pushing the Powerflex bushings out without the tool? They went in easily by hand but I'm curious to know how hard they were to get back out.

Each of the original lower bushings has it's own sleeve. The aftermarket parts all appear to have a single sleeve.
me73 is online now  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Gunpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Enterprise AL
Posts: 4,098
They didn't budge, that's why they looked all chewed up when I got them out.

Okay, each has its own sleeve, I was a little worried it was broke.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Gunpilot is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Registered User
 
SyTyArchives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 161
Yea, those look very different, and I think I agree. Next time I'll give the Superpro's a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
Nice write-up. The bushing press tool makes the removal of the old bushings very easy, as you noted.

I initially chose Powerflex because they installed in one piece like the stock bushings and were more pricey, so I assumed they were a better quality product. But I'm not happy with the fact that the Powerflex bushes are longer than the crush washers. It makes the a-arms difficult to install and forces the a-arm to rotate around the bushing instead of the bushing rotating around the crush tube. Looking at the pictures of the bushing in the original post give an indication of what happens to the extra length of the bushing after time. It permanently deforms on the back side of the a-arm where it is unsupported. The radial cross section thickness of urethane is also about double that of the rubber in the stock bushes since the urethane bushes have no plastic carrier. So they're still somewhat soft.

I bought a set of Superpro bushes after installing the Powerflex parts and find that they address all of the issues. They are the same length as the crush tune. They have internal knurling that retains the grease for long term service life. And the crush tube is much larger in diameter, leaving a much thinner band of urethane with less flex than the Powerflex parts. I'm going to use the Powerflex bushings for a while, but eventually they'll be replaced.

Here are the Superpro parts compared to the stock bushing. Note that the Powerflex crush tubes have the same diameter as the stock bushings.

- Ian
05 StormTi Elise w/ 190,000 miles, 05 WRX STI, 91 GMC Syclone, 14 Scion FR-S
I build things like Howtune.com and EnvyRate.com
My how-to articles: https://howtune.com/uVq/iturgeon
SyTyArchives is offline  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,339
Did you end up having to drop the gpan?
Nessal is offline  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Gunpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Enterprise AL
Posts: 4,098
No......cut a little off the head and it slipped by.




See my other thread. https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157...9/index11.html

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Gunpilot is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Less is Better
 
me73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 2,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpilot View Post
No......cut a little off the head and it slipped by.




See my other thread. https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157...9/index11.html
The bolts through the suspension arms aren't subject to especially large tensile loads, but I still wouldn't trust a bolt with only half a head. Especially a cut head which can introduce brittle material properties and stress concentrations.
me73 is online now  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:04 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 51
I'd like to revive this thread with a question for future me:

I have the later version of the gPan (gPan+ ?)...

Can you just remove the arm by taking off the bracket instead of having to hack at the bolt? I recall when removing my sheer panel that this bracket had four fasteners on it... and seemed like it could just be removed w/ the arm still attached...
yorkadam is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 250
What are the thoughts on the Nitron ones? They seem very pricey.

Nitron Racing Shocks,Store,Bearing kits,Nitron Lotus Elise/ Exige Inner Wishbone Bearing Full Kit
addliteness is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome