what are the best tires for Lotus in wet conditions - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

what are the best tires for Lotus in wet conditions

Hi all,

I am moving to Portland from CA, and I am terrified of driving my supercharged Lotus Elise on wet surfaces, it just loses grip way too easily.

So i suppose i need to change my tires, i currently have toyo R888's and even though i've heard people say they are Ok in the rain, i wholeheartedly disagree. The car is just dangerous with them in the wet (or at least it is dangerous if i drive it).

So i was hoping if any of you can recommend me some tires that will allow me to drive the damn thing in Portland where it rains 9 months of the year.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:20 PM

R888's are not ideal in the wet, and can be diabolical in standing water.

Both the Continental DWS06 (all season) and ExtremeContact Sport are readily available in the stock 195/50-16 and 225/45-17 sizes and have good reputations in the rain. But just about any high performance street tire will be better in the rain than what you have.

If you're not super aggressive on the street and/or on the track, R888's are overkill. Most of us could never work them hard enough on the street to get them to their optimal temperature.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:24 PM
glb

Really like Bridgestone RE-11s in rain and dry, but not sure still available.

Anecdotal evidence is not all that useful vs, say, Tire Rack testing.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:50 AM

Iím running Continental ExtremeContact in stock LSS sizes on an Elise with Rev400. Great street tire in both wet and dry. Sticky enough to have fun on a twisty road and very confidence inspiring in the wet. I no longer have concerns about getting caught in a heavy Texas deluge. I do switch out to sticky r-comps for track use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in