When to replace suspension bushings? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 532
When to replace suspension bushings?

I’ve read through the maintenance schedule and don’t see any definitive info on when the stock suspension bushings need replacement.

Do we replace these only when they go bad? After X amount of miles? After X amount of years?
brandobot89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:22 AM
Supporting Vendor
 
shinoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 4,076
This is a good question. I'm not sure what the expected life of the stock bush is. Cars that are driven in extreme environmental conditions are going to street the bushes the most. We typically see them wandering out of the wishbone - which then demands replacement. This seems to happen far sooner than any degradation to the bush.



Our OEalt Bushes are a good OE alternative (hence the name ) or our MONOballs are really an excellent performance upgrade with no real perceived NVH issues.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
shinoo is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
This is a good question. I'm not sure what the expected life of the stock bush is. Cars that are driven in extreme environmental conditions are going to street the bushes the most. We typically see them wandering out of the wishbone - which then demands replacement. This seems to happen far sooner than any degradation to the bush.



Our OEalt Bushes are a good OE alternative (hence the name ) or our MONOballs are really an excellent performance upgrade with no real perceived NVH issues.
Thanks. Is the general consensus is that if the bushing haven't shifted out and there's no cracking, there is no need to replace it?
brandobot89 is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:50 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: The Motor City
Posts: 45
So is there any reason one would use OE style or stiffer Ertacetal bushing (from ES parts) over a monoball if there is no loss in comfort/NVH?
JiveTurkey is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:05 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 463
Garage
'Wandering out of the wishbone' suggests some combination of either the press fit isn't tight enough, that the bushing doesn't handle shear well, or that it's binding too strongly on the center pin.

Interesting that there have been no NVH complaints around the monoballs. I wonder how much of that is who is putting them in the cars and how much is that there isn't really any change in NVH.
steelypip is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:17 AM
Registered User
 
cyow5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NoVa
Posts: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelypip View Post
Interesting that there have been no NVH complaints around the monoballs. I wonder how much of that is who is putting them in the cars and how much is that there isn't really any change in NVH.
I suspect that most peoples' "NVH meters" are already saturated with the car after an exhaust and other normal first mods, so they just don't register the increase.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
cyow5 is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 07:29 AM
He's on fire!
 
jds62f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
So is there any reason one would use OE style or stiffer Ertacetal bushing (from ES parts) over a monoball if there is no loss in comfort/NVH?
Sure - ease of installation, many who puts these cars on track have found they fail quickly

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
jds62f is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome