Who's running 2 pot calipers front and rear? - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionZoo View Post
Thanks. This is very helpful. I was talking with the guy in Colorado and it seems he didn't know that this product was already made. Did you buy the used part or did you get it new? If new, can you share where you got it from?
I bought the used set from da40flyer.

Later,
Eldon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonz View Post
I bought the used set from da40flyer.

Later,
Eldon
Any interest in taking some measurements?

2011 Lotus Elise SC Final Edition 15 of 15 - Ardent Red
post #63 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Anyone?
I'm also interested, but the $800 is a bit steep.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise

post #64 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 05:28 PM

Thanks. Considering the new information in this thread, there is likely going to be changes.

post #65 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 05:35 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Thanks. Considering the new information in this thread, there is likely going to be changes.
I was on another forum about a year ago and was pointed to a "spot caliper" that was lightweight. Problem was you needed a custom mounting point or some pricey aftermarket pieces. I just haven't been able to justify the cost of a hand brake.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #66 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
I was on another forum about a year ago and was pointed to a "spot caliper" that was lightweight. Problem was you needed a custom mounting point or some pricey aftermarket pieces. I just haven't been able to justify the cost of a hand brake.

San
I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Wilwood mechanical spot caliper. While that one is a bit lighter, it's also a bit janky. I considered it for awhile, but would probably pay more for the more OE feeling solution.

post #67 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 06:13 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Wilwood mechanical spot caliper. While that one is a bit lighter, it's also a bit janky. I considered it for awhile, but would probably pay more for the more OE feeling solution.
Wasn't Wilwood. I am not a fan of anything Wilwood. Been there, done that a decade plus ago. Never again.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #68 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 06:13 PM

How about using the AP Racing 41.3mm 2-pot calipers in the front and HiSpec 38.6mm SVA Ultralight 2 Sierras in the rear?

This would provide the same front:rear balance as the stock Lotus front and AP Racing 41.3mm calipers in the rear and results in a total piston area reduction of 1% vs. totally stock Lotus brakes. Balance shift would be rearward and pedal travel would be similar to stock; plus it gets you a cable actuated parking brake integral to the rear calipers.

HiSpec rear calipers

A new bracket would be needed to adapt the HiSpec caliper to the rear knuckle.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #69 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
How about using the AP Racing 41.3mm 2-pot calipers in the front and HiSpec 38.6mm SVA Ultralight 2 Sierras in the rear?

This would provide the same front:rear balance as the stock Lotus front and AP Racing 41.3mm calipers in the rear and results in a total piston area reduction of 1% vs. totally stock Lotus brakes. Balance shift would be rearward and pedal travel would be similar to stock; plus it gets you a cable actuated parking brake integral to the rear calipers.

HiSpec rear calipers

I think that there maybe a little more involved than just a bracket to mount the caliper. The direction of the actuator for the parking brake is 90 degrees from how the Lotus is actuated. I'm not sure there is enough cable to accommodate this caliper.

Later,
Eldon
post #70 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post

HiSpec rear calipers

I was just considering this yesterday and it seemed like a promising solution. However, it seems HiSpec's reputation isn't the best and the caliper apparently flexes a lot and has a tendency to fail. Considering that, I crossed it off the list.

post #71 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 05:21 AM

Forgive me for the OT post, but does anyone know where I could get brackets made to fit the Lotus OEM BBK to the rear? It's an aesthetic choice, I don't race the car.

This car has them fitted this way, but VSA no longer responds to requests, PM's or emails.

Possibly the same brackets used in this kit?

AP Racing Big Brake Kit 330mm and 315mm for Lotus Elise and Exige

2006 Exige
post #72 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 06:30 AM

So it appears that the larger AP calipers mount on the standard mounts typically correct? If that is the case would you not be able to take a stock upright, remove the tabs for the old brake caliper, and run the BOE or similar caliper relocation thing rotated 180 degrees so the calipers are on the back? Then match to a larger rotor? Im not looking at the car right now to verify this will work, but I am guessing it will?

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #73 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
He's on fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post

why not just buy that kit? You're going to spend nearly the same money acquiring the lotus calipers and the expensive 308mm discs.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #74 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
So it appears that the larger AP calipers mount on the standard mounts typically correct?
With brackets, yes. I'm just wondering how hard it might be, not a brake guru at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
why not just buy that kit? You're going to spend nearly the same money acquiring the lotus calipers and the expensive 308mm discs.
I might be able to get the OEM Lotus BBK at a much discounted price.

2006 Exige
post #75 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I was just considering this yesterday and it seemed like a promising solution. However, it seems HiSpec's reputation isn't the best and the caliper apparently flexes a lot and has a tendency to fail. Considering that, I crossed it off the list.
I'm really interested in this upgrade. A replacement / retrofit two pot caliper that has an integrated parking brake would be a very clean solution. It would eliminate redundant costs of two sets of calipers (two pot upgrades plus a lightweight parking brake) plus two sets of pads plus any bespoke brackets required. All of those bits make it a fairly pricey upgrade, and simplifying it to a set of replacement calipers would bring the cost down and also keep weight off the car. Finding the replacement caliper with integrated parking brake might be easier said than done, though.

This is an upgrade that makes too much sense...reminds me of the rear oil cooler upgrade / OEM oil cooler delete that had far more benefits than downside.

LionZoo, we're both in SoCal. Feel free to contact me if you need any R&D resources either for desk research or car R&D. I have a Lotus friendly garage at home that is complete with all of the ramps, jack stands, jacks, tools & wrenches, vacuum brake bleeder, compressor, etc. for anything from R&D exploration to taking a Lotus apart and reassembling it.

2006 Exige - Phantom Black
post #76 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Forgive me for the OT post, but does anyone know where I could get brackets made to fit the Lotus OEM BBK to the rear? It's an aesthetic choice, I don't race the car.

This car has them fitted this way, but VSA no longer responds to requests, PM's or emails.

BOE brackets for the rear will work with 288mm stock rotor diameters. I have longer bolts and spacers for 303mm or 308mm rotors, everything should bolt up fine. I have 288mm fixed and 303mm floating rotors in production now. I make brackets too if you really need some custom parts.
VisualEchos likes this.

2006 Elise with BOE 400 supercharger and some aero mods, CRF floating oversized rotors, MCS single adjust coil overs, CRF exhaust, CRF sway bar w/adjustable link, mono-ball pivots, machined steer arms, baffled oil pan, CRF titanium toe link brace, hardened motor mounts, Ethos wheels w/Yoko slicks
post #77 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumdave View Post
BOE brackets for the rear will work with 288mm stock rotor diameters. I have longer bolts and spacers for 303mm or 308mm rotors, everything should bolt up fine. I have 288mm fixed and 303mm floating rotors in production now. I make brackets too if you really need some custom parts.
The Lotus/AP 4-pot calipers used on the Exige S240 use an offset spacer to allow mounting to the front uprights. These spacers would be needed if one wanted to use these 4-pots with existing 2-pot to rear bracket kits. Alternatively, one could have custom spacers made, or there might be a different AP 4-pot that would bolt directly to existing 2-pot to rear adapters. Net it is not a simple plug-and-play for S240/Cup AP calipers to the rear.

BTW I briefly investigated 4-pot Porsche calipers (Brembos) as used on 981s and other models because there are lots of these available almost new and quite cheap. Would require caliper adapters and different rotors and bells, negating the caliper cost advantage.
VisualEchos likes this.
post #78 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
BOE brackets for the rear will work with 288mm stock rotor diameters.
I'm literally wanting the Lotus OEM 308mm black BBK front and rear.

Quote:
I make brackets too if you really need some custom parts.
Now we're talking. Let me find out what I need and I'll get back to you. My main question was really if the bracket will be different for the rear than for the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabob View Post
The Lotus/AP 4-pot calipers used on the Exige S240 use an offset spacer to allow mounting to the front uprights.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm meaning.

Quote:
These spacers would be needed if one wanted to use these 4-pots with existing 2-pot to rear bracket kits.
I'm just wanting the 4-pots in the back just like the front. I plan on getting some after-market solution for the ebrake.

Quote:
Net it is not a simple plug-and-play for S240/Cup AP calipers to the rear.
Yes, exactly. But without an ebrake, all I would need is a custom bracket/spacer for the rear, correct? My wonder is if I could use the same brackets as the front use.

Also, I wonder if the black OEM BBK 4-pot AP racing caliper and the red one I showed in the above link would use the same brackets. Maybe such brackets already exist?

2006 Exige
post #79 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusmotion View Post
I'm really interested in this upgrade. A replacement / retrofit two pot caliper that has an integrated parking brake would be a very clean solution. It would eliminate redundant costs of two sets of calipers (two pot upgrades plus a lightweight parking brake) plus two sets of pads plus any bespoke brackets required. All of those bits make it a fairly pricey upgrade, and simplifying it to a set of replacement calipers would bring the cost down and also keep weight off the car. Finding the replacement caliper with integrated parking brake might be easier said than done, though.

This is an upgrade that makes too much sense...reminds me of the rear oil cooler upgrade / OEM oil cooler delete that had far more benefits than downside.

LionZoo, we're both in SoCal. Feel free to contact me if you need any R&D resources either for desk research or car R&D. I have a Lotus friendly garage at home that is complete with all of the ramps, jack stands, jacks, tools & wrenches, vacuum brake bleeder, compressor, etc. for anything from R&D exploration to taking a Lotus apart and reassembling it.
So here's what I know from my investigation:

1) The HiSpec calipers use a standard spacing between the mounting bolts. The spacing seems to be shared among a bunch of other cars. I'll have my Lotus apart in the next week or so and I'll measure the spacing of our caliper to see if it's the same. If it is, adaptation might be relatively easy.

2) The HiSpec calipers use a pad that looks very similar to the Lotus front pad. It might even be identical. If the pads are the same and the spacing between the bolts and the top of the pad is similar to the Lotus calipers, that would mean it would almost be plug and play. Slight chance, but very intriguing.

3) If they're not plug and play, it might be best to run them with adapters in the same manner as the front AP adapters. Basically, put them towards the front of the car instead of towards the rear like the stock calipers.

4) Handbrake will require some adaptation, but doesn't look that bad.

5) HiSpec calipers don't have the best reputation. Apparently customer service is pretty non-existent if you have a problem (this seems to be a common thing with British suppliers, they're very nice to you until you need help). There have also been enough stories of HiSpec calipers flexing and failing that I was scared off.

Having said that, those calipers are cheap so it might be worth the investment just for a science experiment. Send me a PM and let's chat offline if you're interested. Or better yet, come to the next LCOSC board meeting on 1/13 at 11:30 am. Events ? Lotus Club of Southern California

Last edited by LionZoo; 01-04-2018 at 12:07 PM.
post #80 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 04:12 PM

AP 2 pot front and rear

Haven't been on here in a while, but found this thread interesting. I championed this setup years ago on this forum and have been running these brakes for years now. I used front calipers front and rear with a slightly less aggressive pad on the street for some time now. I use the old Brembo slider for the park brake. I have since perfected the bias(for me at least) with an AP 41.3mm 2-pot on the rear. In combo with the approximately 44mm front pistons, you get a natural bias that works. By the way, I have never experienced "ice mode" with this setup. As a matter of fact, that was the reason for the rear brake upgrade-too much front bias causing the car to go into an ABS event prematurely. Here is on old picture of the first set up.
Attached Images

LionZoo likes this.

2006 AR,Magnolia,Sport,Track Pack,Touring,LSD,Trac Control,Katana 2, a lot of other stuff
1985 Mustang SVO SCCA ITE #67(victim of recession)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Willys Edition(off-road ride)
2014 Mazda Mx-5(wife's new ride)
2001 Volkswagen Passat(wife's old ride)
2001 Ford E-350 SuperDuty(racecar hauler)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in