Wishbone bushing comparison - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
I've put about 8k miles on them. Yep, no issues. One thing I like about them is that you can press them into the arms so that they fit your chassis perfectly. Basically, as apexdc is describing, the interface between the chassis and the a-arms is not always the same car to car so there needs to be some way to adjust the location of the bushing in the arm. The stock bushings are so easy to move it doesn't matter, they'll just self adjust. If you can't adjust what ever one you use, there either will be play or it will put stress on the chassis as you force the arm to fit and then tighten the bolts.

It's kind of hard to describe.
Sorry, I've been off this thread for a while.

What I was trying to say earlier is the KEY to an easy install is to measure the offset from the end of the bushing to the end of the a-arm in every case and then use the "tool" to set the new bushings in the same position. You should also measure each bushing end to end so that you can make the monoball replacement the same overall length. You can do a lot of this with some mix and matching of the three key monoball parts. Some might take a little sanding.

if you do all this, CLICK! and the arms just slip into place.

The sad news is I didn't really see this at first. The "tool" will set the bushing in the same relative postion in every arm if you run it in to the stops. That will almost certainly be where the bushing will need to be.

The summary is the front and rear of every bushing has to be in the same relative position as the original or you will regret it A LOT!

I have heard mixed reviews on the life of the monoballs. If a car is being tracked a lot, I think they wear much more than street use with periodic track days.

In retrospect, I might have gone to a superhard polymer for that reason. But as far as feel, they are fantastic and I don't notice any real downside on the street. My car is my daily driver, too.

My hat's off to guys who talk about doing the install in eight hours or so, but I will say the vast majority of time spent by me was trying to refit the arms. Next time (if there is one) would be MUCH faster.

2006 Elise, Graphite Grey/Red leather, Sport Elise Suspension, Cup airbox, ECU ref lash, MonoBalls, etc. etc.
1992 900SS Ducati Race Spec Built by Ferracci
2006 KTM 950 SuperMoto, a work in progress

Old stuff gone: Ferrari 275GTB/4, '69 1275 Cooper S. '72 500 Fiat, old Jags, etc. Never bought a boring car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Less is Better

I've got a few miles on the Superpros now. Road impacts are definitely more sharply felt in the suspension. Steering response has sharpened in kind. While the difference between the Powerflex and stock bushings was really subtle, there is a noticeable difference with the Superpros. They have made a nice little improvement in the car's transient responsiveness.

Last edited by me73; 10-03-2014 at 09:47 AM.
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 11:27 AM

Garage
Just a note on fitment from my experience. I'm in progress with the inokinetic monoballs (same as sector111's) and what I've found is that the gold colored centers can migrate out slightly and so far things fit right up if after I install I press the ends of the monoball together with a c clamp. This will get the lengths equal +/- .2 mm or so. No need to bear down hard. just tight enough that the clamp won't slip, Then if you rotate the centers back and forth a couple times using the clamp all your monoballs will be identical width (except the 2 long ones) to within +/- 0.03 mm. The rotation relieves any stress in the viton seals that may be preventing the centers from completely seating.

In theory none of this should be necessary, but handling and knocking things around can loosen up the centers so in practice it seems to help.

Disclaimer: this was measured on the bench before install, with my set of monoballs YMMV, but it should work in situ too and 2 of 2 a-arms dropped right in so far. (Stalled on a different unrelated problem at the moment)

2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black # 111 SSM NER SCCA Solo - 1840lbs up to 1.65 Lat [email protected]~55mph (asphalt) 195whp 143wtq 4.8 Final Drive, Normally Aspirated.

http://www.the111shift.com/p/the-build.html

https://www.youtube.com/c/the111shift

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 08:31 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdc View Post
...I have heard mixed reviews on the life of the monoballs. If a car is being tracked a lot, I think they wear much more than street use with periodic track days.

In retrospect, I might have gone to a superhard polymer for that reason. But as far as feel, they are fantastic and I don't notice any real downside on the street. My car is my daily driver, too...
I've sold no replacement bearings so the wear issue is not real from my perspective. Most of the Lotus Cup field ran MONOballs with great results.

I'm not a fan of the Delrin or PUR products for the reasons mentioned in previous posts. Plus the stiction is a bigger challenge with these products.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
I've sold no replacement bearings so the wear issue is not real from my perspective. Most of the Lotus Cup field ran MONOballs with great results.

I'm not a fan of the Delrin or PUR products for the reasons mentioned in previous posts. Plus the stiction is a bigger challenge with these products.
Hi Shinoo,

Nice to hear that on the MONOballs. I have had mine in for several years now and don't hear any clicking or feel any movement, which I assume would be a symptom. Oddly, I think the car rode a little better after I put them in. I would think that not having to overcome stiction lets the car move easier on the suspension.

2006 Elise, Graphite Grey/Red leather, Sport Elise Suspension, Cup airbox, ECU ref lash, MonoBalls, etc. etc.
1992 900SS Ducati Race Spec Built by Ferracci
2006 KTM 950 SuperMoto, a work in progress

Old stuff gone: Ferrari 275GTB/4, '69 1275 Cooper S. '72 500 Fiat, old Jags, etc. Never bought a boring car.
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:39 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdc View Post
Hi Shinoo,

Nice to hear that on the MONOballs. I have had mine in for several years now and don't hear any clicking or feel any movement, which I assume would be a symptom. Oddly, I think the car rode a little better after I put them in. I would think that not having to overcome stiction lets the car move easier on the suspension.

The lack of NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) surprised me. This has been another real benefit.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:27 AM

Any info/thoughts on the differences between the available monoball kits out there? Looks like the Inokinetic design is significantly different than that of Nitron, Elise Parts, Elise Shop & BWR.

Inokinetic

Elise Parts

Elise Shop

Nitron

BWR

Last edited by JiveTurkey; 01-18-2019 at 12:10 PM.
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
Any info/thoughts on the differences between the available monoball kits out there? Looks like the Inokinetic design is significantly different than that of Nitron, Elise Parts, Elise Shop & BWR.

Inokinetic

Elise Parts

Elise Shop

Nitron

BWR
Would also like to know which is the preferred setup .
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:37 AM

I'm sure there won't be many if any members here that have had exposure to more than one type of "mono-ball" type insert. I have run the Inokinetic version on two different track cars (one S1 and on an S2). I have seen the joints wear out on the S2 after 2-3 seasons of HPDE (the S1 still going with no issues). Great thing is Shinoo has made replacement parts readily available for his offering. $50 buys new inner spherical joint, E-clips and O-rings to rebuild 4 joints (one corner). I have not seen that offered from the other venders. I have only had issues on the S2 front left, this corner takes the most punishment with stiff springs and clockwise tracks.
One more note is that when they fail/wear, they don't come apart so much as develop play.

Looking at the design of each, it looks like the others have a larger outer race that supports the monoball. The Inokinetics have the full sleeve insert that forces the joint itself to be a smaller dimension than the other offerings. So the others could possibly offer greater support/durability. This may be overkill with the weight of the car.

00' S1 Exige
17' Jaguar F-Type R
94' S4 Esprit (SOLD)
14' Evora S (SOLD)

Last edited by mikelr; 04-21-2019 at 09:42 AM.
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:14 PM

Thank you for chiming in .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in