Yoko Advan A052??? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
glb

Yoko Advan A052???

I saw a mention in Automobile magazine.

TR: "Building on success of A048, the A052 steps it up a notch. Gone is the old directional pattern, replaced by a modern asymmetrical sculpture designed to deliver motorsport-love performance on a dry road."

AM: With internal construction focused on precise handling and Yoko's motorsport compound to provide extreme grip levels, the A052 offers Yoko's highest level of DOT-approved performance for the most demanding track-day enthusiasts.

NOT tested by TR yet.
---
Reviews:

Initial Review: (Honda S2000)
1,500 Miles on Tires
February 14, 2018
On my 3rd set in a row. The grip is phenomenal in the dry. Turn in is razor sharp. VERY predictable at the limit and easy to control pass the limit. I was previously on re-71r's and the grip on these is just next level. The re-71r's would last me 4 summer days (75F+) and about 5 winter days (55F+). The grip level on the 71's would drop off after about 2-3 days. Theses A052's I'm able to get about 5 summer and currently on 7winter days going on 8. Grip does slightly drop but I'm still able to consistently get within .2-.3 of my PB at the end of its life.

---
Initial Review: ('04 Lancer Evo)
2,000 Miles on Tires
September 23, 2017
All these r compound tires are amazing in their own way. Am driving evo Viii no mods full weight 255 40 17 on 8" wheels. With that in mind I would like to see Yokohama get rid of that thin groove all the way around the outside circumference of the tire. If it s there for heat management of the tire to keep a 200 tread wear find another way. Also the tire would look nicer. The lateral grooves are nice please keep them. I don't have a picture in my head of the inside tread but the circumferential groove could be 1/8" smaller. Besides that I guess you d have to tighten up the carcass for the increase grip of these mods and again tread wear would go down a bit. Besides that I would like to see a slight increase on top of all that in sidewall stiffness. It s hard to say how much without changing the philosophy of the tire but as much as you can without changing that.

-----
Initial Review: (BMW 1 Series M Coupe)
150 Miles on Tires
June 10, 2017
I race autocross and the occasional Time Trial in my 2011 BMW 1M Coupe. I'm an instructor Pikes Peak International Raceway and have spent the last couple years on Bridgestone RE71R tires which are outstanding for autocross and track days. I raced Pikes Peak International Raceway Time Attack (autocross) on a fresh set of Yokohama AO52A tires. Initially the tires feel very good on the road with a little road noise. The turn in is a little quicker than the RE-71R's which was surprising considering the Bridgestone's turn-in is very good. I feel the new Yokohama's need to be scrubbed in more to increase increase traction which I'll work on in the coming week. The tires improved as the day progressed and performed very predictably at the limit. When they are pushed beyond the limit, they are easy to catch in a slide like the Bridgestone RE71R's. Outside temps were in the low 80's, I suspect once I can get more tire temp the traction will improve which will make these tires great for track days. I'm instructing this week and will be able to log some track time on the tires. Stay tuned. I logged some time on the track today, temps were in the low 90's. Tire squeal is very pronounced when pushing these tires. I've had to adjust my driving style around the grip or rather lack of grip of these tires. The front doesn't set as well as the Bridgestone RE-71R tires which requires me to pitch the rear of the car into neutral steer to attack tight corners or use a lot of hard lifts off the gas to initiate rear rotation. The tires do take a little time to come up to temperature, until then the grip is a solid moderate. The AO52A's break away cleanly with some warning ,however they are relatively easy to catch and bring them out of the slide. I prefer the Bridgestone RE 71R for my style of driving and events but unfortunately they are out of stock. The AO52A tires will probably outlast the RE-71R tires but they simply lack the monster grip the Bridgestone tires possesses.

----

I'm not interested, but thought others might be.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 03:39 PM

Old news

2006 Exige
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
glb

Ok, but I did a search first.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:26 PM
German Reimport

The available front tires in 205/50/16 are 1/2 inch taller than for example the R888R in 195/50/16.
Would that still make them a viable option for us?

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
The available front tires in 205/50/16 are 1/2 inch taller than for example the R888R in 195/50/16.
Would that still make them a viable option for us?
The 205/50s tend to rub, especially if your car is lower than stock

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in