My hubby and I spent the better part of the weekend modifying the seats for 6-pts and rebuilding them w/ Air2Gel foam. There are several things I would do differently:
1. I would mask off the center console, or wrap felt around the ends of the seat rails. We scratched the hell out of the console getting the seats in and out.
2. The Sector111 seat grommets - I used a dremel to cut out the holes. I was too conservative with the sizing, and had to spend considerable time enlarging it. This was the biggest PITA of the whole project. Be sure to have a mask and safety goggles - my entire garage is covered with fiberglass dust. So, cut BIG! It's ok if the hole is several cm bigger than the inside of the grommet.
3. When cutting a hole for the sub belts, remember to avoid the metal cross beam in the seat itself. I had to cut twice b/c I forgot it was there.
4. I would not have bought the 1/8" HD Air2Gel foam. It was way too firm. Even the regular density 3/8" was quite firm. That said, with a layer of cushy foam, the seats are much better. Definitely a worthwhile mod. Easy, too.
5. I would make sure to have several good leather needles for sewing the "liner" into the sub-strap hole. That was the second biggest PITA of this whole project.
6. I would mark the holes for the lap belt eyebolts while the seats were still in the car. The outboard passenger eyebolt was 1/8" too far inboard. I had to dremel a section out of the seat rail to get the seat back in.
7. Measure 3 times instead of twice!
Hmmm. That's all I can think of for now. The project was quite time-consuming, but mostly b/c I had no idea what I was doing.
I am pleased with the results, though.
Here's the list:
- Sector111 v-force harness bar, seat grommets, anti-sub bar, and chrome fire extinguisher
- Schroth Profi II-H 6-point harnesses... goes with the HANS device hubby gave me for our 1st anniversary
- Kemmler Air2Gel seat rebuild
- Driver's seat raised 1" with a square aluminum rail, as suggested on sandsmuseum.
This is the sub belt and bar install. The bolts on the bottom of the seat were just long enough for 4 washers + bar. This gave us just enough room to wrap the straps. We cut a ~0.6" x 4" hole in the seat for the straps, and sewed a vinyl tube in to make it look tidy. I plan to leave the cam lock off when not at the track.
The finished seat:
The lap belt mounting points. You can see the aluminum rails on the driver's side:
Shiny fire extinguisher: