Any places to Vinyl wrap a car in Bay area CA - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Any places to Vinyl wrap a car in Bay area CA

Just wondering if anyone knows of any shops in the bay area where they do vinyl car wraps? I have looked but cant find any close. Thinking about getting the car wrapped flat black if the price is low enough.

Thanks

05 Lime Green- TSOLD

05 noble m400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 01:42 PM
def

premier mobile group (clear bra) could probably do it, although their prices seem to keep going up and some ppl have recently had some iffy experiences with them

V10 R8Noble M400GG Elise (sold after 1192 days and 22961 miles)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 01:43 PM

GraphTech in Daly City:

Graphtech Graphics - Daly City, CA

Jay, the owner is an incredibly talented graphic designer as well, and does many of the team cars in Formula D.

2006 Exige BWR Supercharged, Solar Yellow
2005 Elise, Chrome Orange
2005 Elise, Arctic Silver (Sold)
2007 Aston Martin Vantage
2008 Ducati HyperMotard
1986 F20C powered AE86
1962 Land Rover Series II

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 02:30 PM

Graphtech is great, but a bit pricey.
No first hand experience, but I've heard a couple good things about Lyles Vinyl Styles - Custom Vehicle Vinyl Specialty One Stop Shop
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 02:39 PM

Vinyl car wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7594217 View Post
Just wondering if anyone knows of any shops in the bay area where they do vinyl car wraps? I have looked but cant find any close. Thinking about getting the car wrapped flat black if the price is low enough.

Thanks
Call any of the high end graphic and signage places. Avoid the Fastsign franchises, etc. You can also call your local public transit (bus) service bays because they often wrap city buses. They should be able to tell you who does theirs. If you do it, post pictures. make sure it's done in "low-tack" vinyl. I saw that most über-luxury cars in Monte-Carlo are painted dark matt gray. If you wanna be trendy, then you're on track I guess!

1986 CitroŽn 2CV (the one that gets the most looks and questions)
2008 Ardent Red Lotus Elise 'California' Sold! So looking for a Carrera S.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I gave a call you graphtech and i also sent a email to vinyl styles. Well see what happens.

05 Lime Green- TSOLD

05 noble m400
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 06:02 PM

If you're willing to make a weekend trip down to LA,

Car stickers and decals, racing stripe graphic sticker decal for you car or truck

Damn good prices, and really quality work. They have done a ton of exotics in matte black wrap.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 07:36 PM

I have a friend with a shop just north of San Francisco if you are interested. He has done work for the Racer's Group and prices are very reasonable. I can provide you with some pictures if you are interested or can give you his contact info.

Good luck
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 08:07 PM
The Man

how much does wrapping a car cost?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

anywhere from around 2500 to 5000. The pluses are that it peals off with no residue or indication it was on. It is good for "7" years. I have heard it goes 5 without any show of wear if its 3m vinyl. Although its not cheap a good paint job is about 10k so its a good alternative.

Another thing is even though i like flat black most buyers will want original paint so this is a huge plus if you dont plan on having the car the rest of your life.

If anyone is curious graphtech was cheapest by far.

05 Lime Green- TSOLD

05 noble m400
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 08:10 AM

Spend some time talking with the vinyl shop

Always good to check out the wrap shop and talk to the person that will be doing the work. Have the installer walk around your car and let them explain their process.

Typically anything that can be removed (lights, taillights, grille pieces) will be removed by the shop. This allows the vinyl to be worked into areas behind these pieces.
There will be trim cutting of the vinyl on your vehicle. This is not a problem for an experienced installer.

A few things to look for on a good wrap:

- Edges of the vinyl not lifting-off the body.
- Accuracy of vinyl cuts (as around wheel wells)
- Vinyl not popping up from deeply recessed areas (if the vinyl is not properly installed, this could show up the next day or weeks later).

Good luck
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Modern Day Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsol View Post
Graphtech is great, but a bit pricey.
No first hand experience, but I've heard a couple good things about Lyles Vinyl Styles - Custom Vehicle Vinyl Specialty One Stop Shop
Plus 1 on Lyle! He's amazing. I just had him do my rear valance in matte black and my gas cap in carbon fiber. I've got a few more projects coming up for him too. He's a really cool guy and has a nice shop in San Carlos, right next to Caltrain.

In SoCal I definitely recommend StickerCity as well. Andy did all the tints on my car there. Top shop operation he's got going on with some great employees.

You become who you surround yourself with - Sorinne Ardeleanu

Please don't message me here, my inbox is over capacity. If you'd like to connect with me please send me an email to sprvxn @ gmail . com . Thank you.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTripleX View Post
Plus 1 on Lyle! He's amazing. I just had him do my rear valance in matte black and my gas cap in carbon fiber. I've got a few more projects coming up for him too. He's a really cool guy and has a nice shop in San Carlos, right next to Caltrain.

In SoCal I definitely recommend StickerCity as well. Andy did all the tints on my car there. Top shop operation he's got going on with some great employees.

What's the carbon fiber look like? Any pics? Wonder if it would look cool around the roll bar cover? I'm planning to put my old CF forced fed spoiler on and maybe add a cf hard top. Or stripes even.

Henry
http://www.abendanio.com/
2005 Elise, AR, Touring, Sport, HT (RIP 10-6-08)
2005 Elise,Touring & Sport,Bordeaux Red Pearl + mods.
1986 Pontiac Fiero Gt, 1986 Toyota Pickup
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Modern Day Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by habendanio View Post
What's the carbon fiber look like? Any pics? Wonder if it would look cool around the roll bar cover? I'm planning to put my old CF forced fed spoiler on and maybe add a cf hard top. Or stripes even.
That's what I'm planning to do next. The roof and roll over bar, along with my window frame Eventually the sills too. Still debating about the trunk lid as I'm not sure how the wrap will do with the heat. Plus those plastic pieces are kind of flimsy so it may be hard to remove if I ever want to.

If you tell Lyle that Sorinne (I) sent you, he'll probably hook you up. He's really interested in doing more Lotus right now.

Here's a link to the work he's done so far. I'm really happy with the quality of work he does. He takes great pride in his work and doesn't rush anything.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1386359-post168.html

Please don't message me here, my inbox is over capacity. If you'd like to connect with me please send me an email to sprvxn @ gmail . com . Thank you.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

I have met lyle before but i forgot his name for a bit. I have since talked to him. He is a super nice guy, i do like him. However he wants twice as much as graphtech. And i mean literally double the money, and were talking thousands.

05 Lime Green- TSOLD

05 noble m400
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 05:50 PM

A7594217: I've seen your car on the forums here and appreciated your very particular style and taste. If I were you, I'd take a trip up to talk to Jay at Graphtech. I think your vision will match up very well with his.

When I first came to him to do vinyl's on our Formula D car, I brought about 15 different sketch designs. He looked at all of them and refused to do any of them. He said he didn't want his shop being represented with those designs.

He came up with a design WAY better than anything I could have, and it still looks fresh 5 years later. He's an incredible graphic artist (not just a vinyl guy). Any more, I just throw a few vague ideas at him, and he works it into amazing vinyls.

2006 Exige BWR Supercharged, Solar Yellow
2005 Elise, Chrome Orange
2005 Elise, Arctic Silver (Sold)
2007 Aston Martin Vantage
2008 Ducati HyperMotard
1986 F20C powered AE86
1962 Land Rover Series II
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:49 PM

let me know what you decide on and your result, I'm seriously considering the same thing (matte black or matte gray wrap)

Phantom Black 2007 Exige Kold Fire, Tesla double din dash.
Black 01' Mustang Cobra 'Vert ("some" modifications) daily driver
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Modern Day Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7594217 View Post
I have met lyle before but i forgot his name for a bit. I have since talked to him. He is a super nice guy, i do like him. However he wants twice as much as graphtech. And i mean literally double the money, and were talking thousands.
Thousands? What kind of work are we talking about here? All the work he's done or doing is only in the hundreds. Maybe 1k for everything combined. Maybe less. Guess I'll find out when I'm done having him do stuff.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 05:57 PM

Its a wise choice to get her wrap in vinyl...i got mine done for 2 months now and still gettin rave reviews. I paid about $1250 for it ......Wait! dont get all jealous now, just think that i bought my exige S for $160,000 (300% import tax) ...so i rather pay $60K for the lotus and $5000 for the wrapping any day...
If u wanna see how the car is wrapped in Dry carbon fiber here's a sample with this Audi TT
Attached Images

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thousands? What kind of work are we talking about here? All the work he's done or doing is only in the hundreds. Maybe 1k for everything combined. Maybe less. Guess I'll find out when I'm done having him do stuff.
Ok well ill just say it. 5k from lyle and 2500 from graphtech. I asked lyle if a paid cash what kind of discount i could get and he said 500 so 4500 if you pay cash. And as for something like the black oval its real easy. Go out and look at the elise and look at all the curves on the whole car and thats why it costs so much. If you look at the car you realize that there is alot of stuff to wrap like mirrors and mirror stalks etc.

05 Lime Green- TSOLD

05 noble m400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in