APR Wing Revisited - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

APR Wing Revisited

I've been itching to buy and install the APR wing (GTC-200) and splitter lately. It's been a while since people on this forum have been using this wing and would like to get long-term feedback on the effects. I'm aware that it creates DF but inefficient and creates loads of drag compared to the high-end wings such as Reverie. When people started using this wing, back in 2009-2010, it received positive feedback (e.g., reduced lap time, planted, etc..).

After 8 years, I'm wondering if people still find them to be effective regardless of its inefficiency.
Any long term clam damage due to the pedestals' mounting points?

Currently, I have the Sector111 splitter, Difflow diffuser, APR side sills, Stock Exige wing, Penske DA 550F/800R, and VF2 SC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 12:01 PM

Garage
I run the Reverie, but I would expect almost anything to be much better than stock. The GTC200 seems like a good option, the only question I've had about the effectiveness is whether it really needs to be "twisted" since it seems like it's mounted high enough to be in clean air in which case having two stall speeds wouldn't be beneficial, but I don't have anything to support that. GTC250 is their straight wing design, FYI, and worth considering.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

I considered the 250 and it's only .5 inches wider but also costs a few hundreds more.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater View Post
I run the Reverie, but I would expect almost anything to be much better than stock. The GTC200 seems like a good option, the only question I've had about the effectiveness is whether it really needs to be "twisted" since it seems like it's mounted high enough to be in clean air in which case having two stall speeds wouldn't be beneficial, but I don't have anything to support that. GTC250 is their straight wing design, FYI, and worth considering.
The twist is so the air going downward over the rear 'window' hits at the same angle as the flatter air towards the ends, so it is trying to give the whole wing the same angle of attack. The reality though is the Exige is not a true fastback because of the mesh, so the air over there (even above the roofline) is pretty nasty. The narrow stock wing is almost entirely in a nasty region and has no endplates to speak of, so you're right, anything is going to be better than that.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 01:56 PM

Garage
Yea I'm aware of why twists are used, which is why I mentioned different stall speeds in my original post, but isn't the total mounted height of the GTC200 something close to 12"? The only wind tunnel demonstration I've seen for the Exige is the testing Reverie did, and the air looks pretty clean that high up. Anyway, like cyow said, better than OEM for sure.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

I believe the total height of the GTC-200 is 10 inches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in