Below Sill and Aluminum Floor Carpeting - Pics/How To/Etc. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Below Sill and Aluminum Floor Carpeting - Pics/How To/Etc.

- Covered the aluminum ribbed floor of my car with carpet (I just like the look of full floor carpet and it protects the aluminum.

- Added Carpeting below the sill and ABOVE the touring pack side sill carpeting.

The floor is easy - make a template of paper, cut your carpet, velcro in. Easy.

Here are DETAILED instructions with tools you need and sources for the side sills.

1. Make template using paper. Or, I've taken paper templates of mine. I'm happy to send them to you. Say, 5 bones for my time and dumping them in the mail.

2. You purchase the carpeting AND the binding from online sources.

3. You need the right tools - SPECIFICALLY a plastic interior trim tool kit and a glue gun with a narrow nozzle (see below).

Here's the exact process:

1. Use the template. Apply green painters tape to the black carpet. Trace around the template with a Sharpie on the green tape. VERY important that the bottom and front edges are straight. Use a straight edge.

2. Cut the carpet. A nice new set of scissors does the trick.

3. Put Gorilla Tape on the BACK of the carpet pattern to give it some rigidity.

4. BIND the carpet for the finished look (will do instructions/hints on this in a following up on this thread).

5. Apply velcro to carpet pattern using double sided carpet tape. Fuzzy part OUT.

6. Apply LOW PROFILE velcro to aluminum to receive carpet (the 'male' part - not the fuzzy bit) (available at Lowes/HomeDepot).

7. Loosen screw on sill (door side).

8. Use plastic trim tools to work the carpet under the plastic sill.

9. Smooth out (using wooden roller).

10. Vaccuum or use one of those laundry lint rollers to remove any lint/dirt/crap on the side sills.

Done.
shay2nak and darkSol like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Tools and product sources:

1. Carpet - Black Automotive 'EZ Flex Carpet' - 1 yard should do it - $17. I bought 2 yards to have around.

Black Automotive EZ-Flex Carpet - $17 | onlinefabricstore.net

2. Binding - Instabind 'Regular Binding' - it's stick on. Available by foot. 12' should cover your side carpets. I bought 20' just to have around. It's cheap - $1.40 a foot.

https://www.bondproducts.com/shop/in...g-color-black/

3. Hot Glue Gun - GET THIS ONE - you need this one because it's got a 1/8" tip. I got mine at Michael's locally (print out a 50% coupon before you go).

Aleene?s Ultimate Glue Gun

4. Interior Trim Tools (Plastic) - great to have around and cheap:

The rest of the stuff you have around:

- Scissors (good ones)
- Green painters tape
- Gorilla tape
- Sharpies
- Wooden Roller
- Long Straight Edge
- Dual Sided Carpet Tape (Lowes, Home Depot, Ace)
- LOW PROFILE Velcro (Lowes, Home Depot)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Oh, and did the side carpets as the sills were getting dinged up for various reasons. This keeps them covered and protected, but reversable.

Pics:
Attached Images

shay2nak likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Carpet with the binding on
Attached Images

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 05:31 PM

Thank you for posting. Nice work.

My Cup came without carpeting at all apparently to save weight!

I was thinking of putting some carpets mainly to protect the interior and have some heat insulation .

Could you please email me your templates ! I'll PM you my address
Thanks,
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 09:30 AM

I have just ordered a complete carpet set for my new s3 Elise and should receive the set next week. Your piccy's will be great help when I fit them, thanks.

Would you believe it just two minutes after I posted this the doorbell rang and a chap was on my doorstep with a parcel, the carpet for my Elise. I was not expecting it till early next week, but to be delivered on a Sunday, things are looking up.

Guess what I'm going to do over the next few days?

Last edited by Rascal; 03-23-2014 at 09:49 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 11:51 AM

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 09:22 PM

Does anyone know where you can pick up some high quality cut pile style carpet? I went to my auto upholstery guy to order some, but after asking him to order it for me 3 times now and getting no response I've given up on him. I'm looking for some with plastic backing for the floors and door sides. Also looking for the same type of carpet without the backing for behind the seats. Glad I found this thread as I hadn't been able to find anything like the binding that SwingLo describes and that will help out a lot.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 10:55 AM

Osht, can you post up more pics of the interior please?

Lotus Evora (Solar Yellow)
Lotus Exige (Aspen White)
Honda S2000 (Silverstone)
Mazda Miata NA (Classic Red)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labgood View Post
Does anyone know where you can pick up some high quality cut pile style carpet? I went to my auto upholstery guy to order some, but after asking him to order it for me 3 times now and getting no response I've given up on him. I'm looking for some with plastic backing for the floors and door sides. Also looking for the same type of carpet without the backing for behind the seats. Glad I found this thread as I hadn't been able to find anything like the binding that SwingLo describes and that will help out a lot.
This guy in UK does tailor made carpet sets, the cost in uk pounds is 185:00 for the set that includes carpet that covers above the upper section of the side panels.
Also parts are backed with sound insulation. They also have Velcro in areas where needed, check out his site it might be just what you need, it has pictures so you can see how they look.
Scrappingtons

Last edited by Rascal; 04-18-2014 at 06:52 AM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labgood View Post
Are you looking for the actual floor mats or just the aluminum exposed ribbed area and sides? If so, what you want is very thin formable carpet.

Again, the stuff I posted above works perfect for that application. It's dirt cheap too. You can do the Instabind as I note above - also cheap and very easy.

The carpet has NO back so you'll have to give it some. Just put Gorilla Tape on the back of the carpet and it will provide just enough rigidity - and gives the adhesive velcro a nice solid base to attach to.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 12:24 PM

Thanks for all the help.

I hadn't thought about the thickness of the carpet being an issue.

My auto body guy gave me the name of another upholstery shop and told me not to go back to the guy I had been to from previous bad experiences with him. I was able to buy some thicker carpet with plastic backing to make my own floor mats with from this other shop. I think the brand was Essex, but I will check when I go back in to pick up the carpets. Also putting some of this type under the seats. It was around $60 for a yard of the stuff.

I'm definitely going to get some of that instabind.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Get the instabind - it's great stuff.

But again, you WILL need a hot glue gun for finishing the edge (see their videos on Youtube).

Get the EXACT one I listed above. It has the smaller/swap out nozzles to administer just the right about of glue. Get it at Michaels - but go on line and print out one of their 50% coupons. Got the glue gun for $12 and it will have dozens of uses around the house over the years.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 05:47 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
SwingLo - great thread! (resurrect!)

I've been thinking about doing this for the floor and bottom ribbed sections but leaving the sides exposed. Too much going on with all my aluminum and carbon... I might do the sides but I'm still on the fence...

Any more pictures of your interior? Specifically from farther out...

BTW in post #3 it looks like you're missing an under steering column cover screw...

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:20 AM

I put carpet in my elise this winter. I love the way it looks. Took the time to put in some sound deadening while i was at it.

I would recommend doing the sides as well, it really adds to the feel of the car. It makes it not feel as much like a go kart.

Here are some pics of mine. I wanted to keep the rubber mats and the buttons for easy cleaning and a little differentiation of textures. Pic quality kind of sucks.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:41 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Looks great!

It almost makes me wish I had the touring pack so I could have that stock side carpet with that aluminum strip... oh well.

What are you guys doing around your feet / pedal box / lower air vent?

I briefly thought about carpeting all the way down driver and passenger sides and perhaps PlastiDipping the rear wall black to match.

Does the carpet push in between the rows in the corrugated aluminum floor area? Could you lay Velcro strips in the valleys to even out the surface and provide greater holding power?

Lots of thoughts!

d.a..v...i....d

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 12:01 PM

I actually replaced my stock carpeting with the aftermarket stuff I got. That way it would all be uniform.

I ran the carpet all the way down to the front wall on the sides, and up about 5 inches from the floor on the front wall. That way when you are sitting in the seats you don't see the carpet end, but it doesn't block the openings. I'll grab a pic for you.

As for the ribbed aluminum on the floor, if you make a thick enough backing and use velcro or double sided tape, it forms a flat service over the ridges. I used both, because thats primarily where my foot goes when I'm getting in and out of the car. It has held up great.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 12:09 PM

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 07:52 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Getting ready to do this over this weekend along with my ShiftR111/cables.

I'm thinking about doing it this way:

1) Remove carpet mats/seats/console and wash/clean aluminum floor/sides.
2) Lay newspaper down on the floor and tape the edges and make a template - especially holes for seats/console/etc.
3) Place paper template on top of carpet and cut to fit - holes too.
4) Test fit carpet and tweak anything that needs tweaking
5) Place 3" wide Gorilla tape strips over the corrugated step sections on the floor to smooth out the indentations
6) Apply Gorilla tape to the underside of the carpet edges and where the front/rear "risers" are for the step sections for rigidity
7) Liberally apply ultra-thin double sided Velcro where the Gorilla tape is underneath
8) Install carpet by starting from the back and moving forward, pulling strips off Velcro and applying pressure.

Bottom is complete - now for the sides...

1) Once again make a template using newspaper on the sides all the way to the front of the footwell
2) Place template on carpet and cut to fit - leave some extra on top to tuck underneath side sills
3) Apply binding to rear/bottom/front edge of carpet
4) Apply Gorilla tape to edges
5) Apply ultra-thin double sided Velcro where Gorilla tape is underneath
6) Install carpet on sides pressing firmly to set Velcro and tucking top edge underneath side sills
7) Do both sides!

Reinstall console, seats and floor mats!

Aesthetically speaking I'm just doing the binding on the sides so the binding will cover the edge of the bottom carpet. I don't want binding on the carpet sections that run up and down around the corrugated step area.

Thoughts!?

d.a..v...i....d

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 10:16 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
And I'm done!

Took 10 hours in total - most of them upside down in the Lotus position

Seats and other interior pieces still need to be bolted down / installed but you get the point...
Attached Images

shay2nak likes this.

d.a..v...i....d

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in