Billet aluminum air vents - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Varun916
  • 1 Post By David Craig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Billet aluminum air vents

I've been overhauling my interior & thought I'd give these a try!
Attached Images

ERDoc74 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:48 PM

Interesting. Can u adjust the direction of air flow? And is it lighter than OEM?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Direction's adjustable, the inner ring is a vent ball that moves around. You can't quite close it off though. I didn't weigh the factory vent - that's plastic so it has the weight advantage there, but it also has more parts and is overall bigger...probably a wash.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

This is the site I got it from - really high quality stuff, though with a price to match. I expect this won't be a worthwhile mod for most, but I'm a little obsessed about my interior... https://www.restomodair.com/product-...rket-ac-vents/
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Another shot with a different vent design I was considering, showing how it angles: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQVs9VmTOTawTcCKhQAywxfa0Eh
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 05:01 PM

What size fits our cars?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

https://www.restomodair.com/shopprod...inum-a-c-vent/ this is the one I'm using in my car - 2.5'' inner hole & 2.75'' outer. 3'' works too, it's just a matter of aesthetics. The second pic I posted was a 3'' outer. I did have to dremel a little bit off the inner ring to get these to fit though. I suspect going back to stock may not yield great results if you do expand them, unless you shim.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:41 AM

So the 2.75 fits without dremel work? And what are the two options 1. Part only and 2. With system purchase?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:46 AM

Those look very nice. For my information, how do you remove the stock vents?

Thanks -

Mark
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb26dett View Post
So the 2.75 fits without dremel work? And what are the two options 1. Part only and 2. With system purchase?
They Sell AC systems and give you a discount if you buy their system - you don't want that. You want the "Part only" option.

Both the 2.75'' and 3'' require a bit of dremeling - the inner hose diameter is fine, it's just that these mount via universal compression fit, and our factory vents have four slits in the plastic - so you'll have to remove a bit to get these to fit. My carbon dash had smaller/less circular openings than the stock dash though, so you might be able to get away with a little less grinding. I feel like it'd be pretty easy to go back to stock with some shims, even if the hole became too big :-)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
Those look very nice. For my information, how do you remove the stock vents?

Thanks -

Mark
You could try pulling on them, but that's liable to rip the front vent piece from the hose piece off(ask me how I know). The best way to do it is to remove the dash trim piece(a few screws), and push it out from behind. They sit via a compression fit mechanism, similar to these ones(but not exactly the same, stock uses a four-slit compression whereas these alum vents use a universal fit).
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun916 View Post
They Sell AC systems and give you a discount if you buy their system - you don't want that. You want the "Part only" option.

Both the 2.75'' and 3'' require a bit of dremeling - the inner hose diameter is fine, it's just that these mount via universal compression fit, and our factory vents have four slits in the plastic - so you'll have to remove a bit to get these to fit. My carbon dash had smaller/less circular openings than the stock dash though, so you might be able to get away with a little less grinding. I feel like it'd be pretty easy to go back to stock with some shims, even if the hole became too big :-)
I have a carbon dash too. But Im just debating on forking out such serious cash for some vents. Thanks for all your info though.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb26dett View Post
I have a carbon dash too. But Im just debating on forking out such serious cash for some vents. Thanks for all your info though.
Sure! Yeah I had second thoughts for sure, given the price but now that I have them I think they're worth it. They're really gorgeous in person, perfectly complement the carbon interior. They're also made in the USA, which I'm a sucker for.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun916 View Post
You could try pulling on them, but that's liable to rip the front vent piece from the hose piece off(ask me how I know). The best way to do it is to remove the dash trim piece(a few screws), and push it out from behind. They sit via a compression fit mechanism, similar to these ones(but not exactly the same, stock uses a four-slit compression whereas these alum vents use a universal fit).
Thanks for the information. I'll probably have the dash apart to install the garw LCD dash soon, so I can
do the vent replacement then. I've got a couple of the stock vents that are broken.

Mark
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:51 AM

Wow. Very nice! They look like a perfect match for the OEM aluminum look of the interior.
Varun916 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in