Diffuser Tuft Testing - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:47 AM

I wonder if Difflow can make and sell this one inch 90 degree bend for folks who owns his diffuser. This would be like a add on mod for existing diflow owners.

Yes you, Peewee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn View Post
I wonder if Difflow can make and sell this one inch 90 degree bend for folks who owns his diffuser. This would be like a add on mod for existing diflow owners.
Mine cost less than $10 for the raw material, of which I had enough left over to also make vertical supports for my side skirts that extended slightly downward to improve those, too.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 04:26 PM

Pictures pls. Thanks.

Yes you, Peewee.

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Pictures pls. Thanks.
I haven't done it yet, but lowes angle aluminum + some rivets is my plan
forkmeupscotty likes this.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:15 PM
The Enforcer

No offense to anyone, but I like parts that are actually tested in a wind tunnel. Reverie is pricey, but lately due to the exchange rate, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them. Unfortunately, they make little that I don't already own.

San
shay2nak and glb like this.

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
No offense to anyone, but I like parts that are actually tested in a wind tunnel. Reverie is pricey, but lately due to the exchange rate, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them. Unfortunately, they make little that I don't already own.

San
Since I actually use the car on the track I and many others can't really use Reverie. The cost of hitting a high curb now goes from $100-400 to well over $1k.

Plus they gave away their secret which is the block off plates anyways. Copy that and you get 90% of the effect! (not really but it is a lot)

post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:49 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
Since I actually use the car on the track I and many others can't really use Reverie. The cost of hitting a high curb now goes from $100-400 to well over $1k.

Plus they gave away their secret which is the block off plates anyways. Copy that and you get 90% of the effect! (not really but it is a lot)
I can't disagree with you. My front splitter or rear diffuser being destroyed would hurt my feelings and would be pricey to replace. Both of those I bought used and they were still expensive.

There are other parts not susceptible I've picked up (all used). Even used Reverie is expensive. Kind of like Penske. I really need to find a replacement for Photobucket.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I can't disagree with you. My front splitter or rear diffuser being destroyed would hurt my feelings and would be pricey to replace. Both of those I bought used and they were still expensive.

There are other parts not susceptible I've picked up (all used). Even used Reverie is expensive. Kind of like Penske. I really need to find a replacement for Photobucket.

San
I was going to ask what else they make that is important, then I remembered that I have their wing that I bought through BOE. Which is tested etc. God I hope I don't ever hit that on something on the track!

Since all the Aero people are in here, Could I make side extensions to my splitter and have a big end plate that goes up to a 1' piece of aerofoil/wing that connects back to my fender? Would that be productive? Would it be better if the blade was boxed off on both sides?

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 06:47 PM

Nice work, cool to see real world effect of changes.

2006 Elise with BOE 400 supercharger and some aero mods, CRF floating oversized rotors, MCS single adjust coil overs, CRF exhaust, CRF sway bar w/adjustable link, mono-ball pivots, machined steer arms, baffled oil pan, CRF titanium toe link brace, hardened motor mounts, Ethos wheels w/Yoko slicks
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Since all the Aero people are in here, Could I make side extensions to my splitter and have a big end plate that goes up to a 1' piece of aerofoil/wing that connects back to my fender? Would that be productive? Would it be better if the blade was boxed off on both sides?
Should we break out splitter, diffuser and wing topics into separate threads? Not trying to discourage discussion, but might be better to keep things organized by major aero feature.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Pictures pls. Thanks.
See post #8 in this thread

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 02:56 AM

Quote:

San
I do it almost entirely for warm fuzzies. Judging by how unstable the car got when the side skirt came loose one time or when the splitter shifted a half an inch when I hit something at 100mph, these devices absolutely do something though

post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 05:17 AM

Reverie stuff is about the closest we are going to get to tested aero pieces. Unfortunately, testing aero pieces that are below the axle line is not very effective in a static floor wind tunnel. You can generate some numbers but the data may or may not be relevant. To actually perform real world testing, you need a moving ground plane under the vehicle. For those of you who do not know what that is, check out this web site: Windshear, Inc. Wind Tunnel - 180-MPH Rolling-Road Wind Tunnel. I've given Cyow5 a tour of the facility that I do consulting at so he knows what I have access to. We have all kinds of cars come through our tunnel from open wheel Indy cars to IMSA prototypes and GTs to NASCAR to production cars. Testing at the tunnel is very expensive, around $4000/hr, and also has a very steep learning curve.

So, the best way for mortals to test is what you saw at the beginning of this thread. Now a couple of improvements to this type of testing is to use cloth style fly fishing line instead of yarn. Yarn works but has the draw back that it is heavy and large thus not as sensitive as it could be. One good thing about yarn is that it will fray which helps show turbulent air flow. Make sure that your recording device is well down stream from what you are recording.

Other than that, if we could ever get enough of us to pool our resources, we could always put a car in the tunnel and do some real testing!

Later,
Eldon
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I was going to ask what else they make that is important, then I remembered that I have their wing that I bought through BOE. Which is tested etc. God I hope I don't ever hit that on something on the track!

Kevin,

Did a little checking on side plates for wings. You want to run the plates about 2" above the highest point on the wing, usually the trailing edge. Not much more than 1" in front of the leading edge so you don't disrupt the air flow. Don't need to go much more than 2" behind the trailing edge. Now, going down is where you can gain the most. If you can, run it all the way to the body work. The only caution here is to watch the air flow from the body. You might have to open the leading edge as it approaches the body of the car. Take a look at the side plates Lotus did for the 2010+ Exiges and that should give you an idea of what I'm referring to.

Later,
Eldon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in