Driver seat stuck in rear most position - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 4380r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Driver seat stuck in rear most position

Driver seat stuck in rear most position. I'm guessing that a penny or something similar is jammed. Any ideas for fixing short of removing the seat? I ask because I won't have time to visit a shop for a week or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
Driver seat stuck in rear most position. I'm guessing that a penny or something similar is jammed. Any ideas for fixing short of removing the seat? I ask because I won't have time to visit a shop for a week or two.
Removing the seat is a 30 minute job, less if you don't have to remove a hard top to get the seat out. Made a bit trickier if the seat is all the way back, but no more so than removing the passenger seat. If you've got the right tools, it's pretty quick.
brgelise likes this.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Because the seat is all the way back, the rear bolts will be a bit hard to reach, but looks removing the seat is the only solution!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 PM

Have you looked under the seat with a flashlight and mirror? Maybe you can see the obstruction and remove it .
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Wasn't able to see anything...perhaps if I had one of those cameras made for surgery.

Are the rear rail bolts covered up by the seat in its rear most position? I see some allen key bolts back there, but I think these might be what attaches the seat to the rail, rather than the rail to the chassis. I suppose I could just remove the seat from the rail and go from there.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Wasn't able to see anything...perhaps if I had one of those cameras made for surgery.

Are the rear rail bolts covered up by the seat in its rear most position? I see some allen key bolts back there, but I think these might be what attaches the seat to the rail, rather than the rail to the chassis. I suppose I could just remove the seat from the rail and go from there.
I have a flexible fiberoptic camera, but you're a little too far away for it to be useful.

Here are the seat rails. Top is passenger, bottom is driver.

Name:  seat rails.jpg
Views: 3682
Size:  54.2 KB

Note part number 4 when you remove the rails from the car... you'll want to put it back.

If you are seeing the bolt that faces sideways (7), then that attaches seat to rail. If you are seeing the bolt that faces up (3), that attaches rail to chassis. The rail to chassis bolts are allens and IIRC so are the seat to rail...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the diagram. I cannot see #3 because it is being covered up by the black bracket. If you look at where #7 would be on the driver's side, there is another bolt that is un-numbered with a round head below it. It is parallel to #3 and pretty much is right on top of it with the seat all the way back. That is all I can see.

So looks like I do indeed need to take the seat off the rail first. I may take this one in to a shop, in case I cannot put the seat back together at home!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:02 AM

Wink help-seat stuck

Quote:
Thanks for the diagram. I cannot see #3 because it is being covered up by the black bracket. If you look at where #7 would be on the driver's side, there is another bolt that is un-numbered with a round head below it. It is parallel to #3 and pretty much is right on top of it with the seat all the way back. That is all I can see.

So looks like I do indeed need to take the seat off the rail first. I may take this one in to a shop, in case I cannot put the seat back together at home!
Can you tell me how y fixed this. I have had a 2013 lotus evora for 2 weeks and my passenger seat is stuck in the most rearward position as well. Took it to a lotus shop and they were like they might have to cut the seat out.. I like wth
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 06:15 AM

tap the rails and listen for the jingle! Or push back/forward as far as possible when doing this to give obstruction ability to move.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Benetec CF wing | - »