Elise/Exige carbon glove box - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

new pics

im bumping this thread to see if there might be some interest in this glove box.i will be dusting off the molds and making a few in a high grade fiber glass.in the pics you can see the lock installed.im not sure i like the handle on the lock.i will look into making one a bit smaller.you can see what will fit.i have the radio face case on the bottom.with my bb storm and a digital camera.there is still room for a few other items.im very happy with mine.its nice to just open the door and toss things in there.not having them roll around in the tray is nice.so if anyone has interest in one please let me know.

Name:  hyabusa header ec.lotus front grill 011.jpg
Views: 2350
Size:  119.8 KB

Name:  hyabusa header ec.lotus front grill 012.jpg
Views: 2899
Size:  120.4 KB

Name:  hyabusa header ec.lotus front grill 016.jpg
Views: 2426
Size:  125.9 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 03:19 PM

What kind of $ are we talking for the fiberglass...I think it would look great painted to match the car- since i'm painting the center console and ac suround anyway... unfortunately the CF is just too much $ and doesn't match anythign else I have in the car... between the black plastic covers on the dash with the dibits, the black plastic covers without the dibits and the different black material ontop of the dash -- its already a hodgepodge lol --

Josh / thehoffaman -
Richmond, VA

2005 Elise VIN 0007 Storm Titanium / black leather, Touring package, hard/soft, Starshield, 55w 6000k DDM HIDS, 5 1/4 front speaker, Kendwood HD942U stereo HU,
1986 Panther Federal Kallista- Silver w/ black runing boards
post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

yea i agree.so im going to do some in a good quality fiberglass.im going to try and keep the price affordable.i think it will look nice painted body color.or a nice semi gloss black would look good too.it would kinda match the rest of the interior.

post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:29 AM

You know, i was peeking behind the driver's seat- where the cargo net is on the touring cars... there are a couple screws above the net and -- i tlook slike the net is eather clipped in place or scewed in behind some sort of small plastic caps..... I was thinking it may be nice to have some sort of box that fastned to the back wall utilising those screws as fastners inside the box, Kind of like a lock box.... but something that looked way better. I would imagine with your skill you could whip something like that up in a snap and more people may opt to have something less conspicuous.

Josh / thehoffaman -
Richmond, VA

2005 Elise VIN 0007 Storm Titanium / black leather, Touring package, hard/soft, Starshield, 55w 6000k DDM HIDS, 5 1/4 front speaker, Kendwood HD942U stereo HU,
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:36 AM

maybe something like this--- Amazon.com: HOMAK HS10036684 10-by-5-1/2-by-7-1/2-Inch Electronic Access Pistol Boby: Home Improvement

EDIT* - there is an even thinner one that only sticks out 3.5" its model HS10036683
here's the link- but the picture is not right- its way thinner:
http://www.amazon.com/HS10036683-2-I...6003784&sr=8-1

here is the correct picture:
http://www.homaksecurity.com/PistolBoxes.html
or something that opens on top.

Josh / thehoffaman -
Richmond, VA

Last edited by thehoffaman; 02-12-2010 at 10:44 AM.
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

that would be a nice option too.it takes alot of time to make the box.then make all the molds.it would take at least three molds for that box.with the door recess and all.i just dont have the time right now to take on another big project.the glove box is ready to produce now.
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:11 AM

If you could copy the "dotted" look finish of the dashboard above it, it would look like it came from the factory. Just a suggestion.

'05 ELISE Storm Titanium LSS/TP/HT/Dual Oil Coolers/Starshield/Raptor Racing exhaust XP111 (LBH)/BWR 7/8" Anti Roll Bar
"Smooth is fast, but fast is quicker"
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:47 AM

I Like it

I already have a carbon AC surround and center console so I'd definitely be interested in the carbon version of this. PM me when you have one for sale.

06 Elise
14 Passat Diesel stick!
07 Mazdaspeed3
06 Honda Ridgeline
96 Miata turbo track/street car
93 Toyota MR2

66 VW bus, 69 Beetle, 58 Beetle
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

will do fishtaco.

the dotted look couldnt be replicated in a fiberglass mold.plus the parts wouldnt take that small detail.that kinda thing works in machine made injection molds.i think painted semi gloss black it will blend pretty well.when i get around to making a few up i will spray one semi gloss black and post some pics.
post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Mulholland>SCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt63 View Post
i had thought of drilling the side for the wire to pass through for the i pod.but i thought that it might be hard to change play lists while driving.very good ideas though.i can figure out something when i have time to look at it more.as for the lining i wanted to line the inside with alcantera.so things inside didnt get scratched and make noise from the carbon.as for price i just dont see being able to produce it for much less.
Just so you know, you do not control the ipod through the ipod connected to the stock radio. At least I do not in my Exige S. The ipod is controlled through the radio. So, cutting a slot for the cable to pass through is a feasible solution. And as others have said, there is nothing carbon fiber inside of my car, so I wouldn't buy it in carbon fiber.

Toys-
07 Lotus Exige S Chrome Orange
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
post #31 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 08:51 PM

Looking forward to see pics of the finished fiberglass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt63 View Post
will do fishtaco.

the dotted look couldnt be replicated in a fiberglass mold.plus the parts wouldnt take that small detail.that kinda thing works in machine made injection molds.i think painted semi gloss black it will blend pretty well.when i get around to making a few up i will spray one semi gloss black and post some pics.

'05 ELISE Storm Titanium LSS/TP/HT/Dual Oil Coolers/Starshield/Raptor Racing exhaust XP111 (LBH)/BWR 7/8" Anti Roll Bar
"Smooth is fast, but fast is quicker"
post #32 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agirls View Post
Just so you know, you do not control the ipod through the ipod connected to the stock radio. At least I do not in my Exige S. The ipod is controlled through the radio. So, cutting a slot for the cable to pass through is a feasible solution. And as others have said, there is nothing carbon fiber inside of my car, so I wouldn't buy it in carbon fiber.
your right.i seam to remember seeing a radio that controlled the ipod.so you would only need access to it once in awhile to download new songs.i agree with you all on the carbon.some folks do have some carbon in there interior.it was also done in carbon for lightness.mine comes in at 8 ounces.i will try and get one layed up next week in fiberglass to get a better idea of how low i can go on price.
post #33 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

i have the e glass box fabricated.i just need to finish trimming and bond it together.i hope to have some pics up this next week.
post #34 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 12:22 PM

Bump. Status update?

I'm doing a full interior dress up using a local shop (think trimshop). Might be cool to get this and cover it in the same alcantara I'm doing on the ac surround and binnacle.
post #35 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 02:39 PM

I am interested too!

update please .......

2003 911 GT2
2007 Lotus Elise
2013 Mini Countryman JCW
2011 BMW X5 M
post #36 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

i will be finishing up an eglass box for swinglow.it will be sent to him in bare glass.i will do some in eglass unpainted for 200$at that price i might eat my shorts but i would like to get a few of these built.pm me for details.
post #37 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 03:16 AM

SwingLo chiming in here. Yep. I'm getting the fibe box from Kevin.

I'm having my interior done (think Trim Shop) - alcantara, carbon leather, yellow perf leather goodness!

I emailed the link to my interior guy and he said 'no problem'.

He's gonna wrap the box in the same black alcantara he's doing on the binnacle and AC surround.

As Ish from Pimp My Ride would say 'iss gonna be tiiiigght' !!

BTW - I REALLY wish someone would figure out a Tesla style bottom dash. Yeah, I know it adds weight, but for those of us that don't track our cars and merely use them to impress 13 year olds, then this might be a cool solution:

post #38 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

e glass box

here are some pics of swinglos e glass box.its mostly done.i need to do a little filling on the seams and what not.i machined an aluminum ring to replace the handle on the push button latch.the plan was to paint it semi gloss black and show pics of that.but swinglo is having it covered in alcantera.i think it would look good body color too if you have all the other pieces painted.
Name:  silver heat shield e glass glove box diff case 030.jpg
Views: 1590
Size:  134.3 KB

Name:  silver heat shield e glass glove box diff case 029.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  138.8 KB

Name:  silver heat shield e glass glove box diff case 034.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  142.1 KB

Name:  silver heat shield e glass glove box diff case 039.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  144.1 KB
post #39 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 03:33 AM

I would be interested in one that i could have it painted to match the color of my car.
post #40 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

yea i think the paint match would look really good.i have all the other parts painted body color in my car already.i cant decide if i like the carbon more than the paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in