Elise/Exige carbon glove box - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKAGE1 View Post
I would be interested in one that i could have it painted to match the color of my car.
Not sure if you know Chuck Risen (TJ, John, Justin, etc and the FVMC guys know him well).

Chuck could paint it (and your other parts) the OEM color to match and it would look oh so purty! He's getting his new shop set up (western burbs of Chicago), but I think he'll be online shortly. I would look very cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt63 View Post
here are some pics of swinglos e glass box.its mostly done.i need to do a little filling on the seams and what not.i machined an aluminum ring to replace the handle on the push button latch.the plan was to paint it semi gloss black and show pics of that.but swinglo is having it covered in alcantera.i think it would look good body color too if you have all the other pieces painted.
Attachment 146199

Attachment 146200

Attachment 146201

Attachment 146202

Hey Kevin, it's looking great! I just sent this link to the guy at my upholstery shop.

I'll most likely have him rig something that covers the right hand open space between the end of the back and the sill vertical. The box lines up nicely with the lines of the airbag. Most likely will have him just cover a piece of lexan or thin MDF with the matching alcantara to fill that in.

I'll have the box shortly and the car interior will be done in the next 2-3 weeks. Can't wait and looking forward to posting pics.

I LOVE aftermarket mods.

My biggest question - if this car has been in the US for 5 model years and there is literally NO good place to securely store phones, reg papers, stereo faceplates (especially when you leave the top off), they how has someone NOT come up with something like this before? Necessity is the mother I guess....
post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

hey j,your box did make it out today.i look forward to seeing it when finished.good advice on chuck for the paint work.he does nice paint jobs.

post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 05:59 PM

Awesome. Do you have a tracking number? I've got about a million things on order and I'm traveling this week so need to tell my lovely bride to look for stuff.

As for Chuck, I've seen his car and his work up close and personal. His painting is bang on. Seriously, you cannot tell the difference between it and OEM.

Perhaps you and he can work something out where he does the painting for you and you can sell the eGlass boxes already painted - for example, rather than raw, you can sell a 'graphite gray' or 'ardent red' fibe box. I honestly think those would be hotter commodities versus the expensive and somewhat limited carbon boxes. Would look especially tasty if the AC surround was painted as well.
post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 07:31 PM

Love my CF Glovebox

Hello guys, i've just received my CF Glovebox and it is sweet!

Thank you Kevin, you are the MAN!

PS. will post pictures later, it is too dark outside to take pictures right now.

2003 911 GT2
2007 Lotus Elise
2013 Mini Countryman JCW
2011 BMW X5 M
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 07:45 PM

My interior is 85% done - and looks INSANE!!!

I'll have the glove box covered in alcantara and will post pics by the end of this week.
post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys.good to hear you are pleased with them.
post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Stilling doing God's work

Are you still selling them for the same price?
post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

yea.i will make a few more in glass unpainted for 200$the carbon box i just did was a lot of work for what i charged.i will have to think about that for awhile.
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

here are a few pics of the 2nd carbon box i built.i think it turned out very nice.all the seams where taped and filled with black epoxy.then wet sanded and polished.the lock is much smaller and looks a lot better too.im still working on a price for the carbon.
Name:  new carbon glove box 006.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  270.8 KB

Name:  new carbon glove box 013.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  210.5 KB

Name:  new carbon glove box 027.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  400.1 KB

Name:  new carbon glove box 055.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  263.4 KB

Last edited by kmt63; 06-12-2010 at 09:01 PM.
post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

sorry for the big pics.im not sure what is going on with the resizing on this website.i have done this many times in the past and the pics come out in the regular size.
post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 07:01 AM

Here's the fiberglass one - all dolled up and lookin' purty.

The pics make it look kinda charcoal grey, but the box (as well as the dash, etc) is covered in black alcantara. They lined the inside in black felt - VERY nice and has a very OEM vibe to it.

They also covered the AC surround in black alcantara and made little alcantara covered foam inserts to fill the gaps. Looks like one complete solid unit.

Great solution!

I will tell everyone that the fit is VERY tight. I wish I would have had about 1/16 more clearance, but then again, it isn't going anywhere and that's the whole point!!
Attached Images

post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 07:13 AM

BTW - more pics of my interior pimpage coming soon!
post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

looks good.i didnt think they would be able to cover behind the door with the tight clearance.looks like they made it work.the handle looks pretty good facing down too.
post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 11:28 AM

Sorry - I couldn't find it in any of the previous posts: what are the different prices for fiberglass / matte carbon / wet carbon?

I would probably be ok with fiberglass unpainted, but if you can paint, that would be great too. Great idea!
post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

the price for fiberglass unpainted is 200$it was a page or so back where i posted that.the carbon price hasnt been posted.i can only do gloss carbon.i dont really have a method for matte.the carbon box pictured above i sold way cheap.so this is why im thinking on the price.i need to pay myself a few more dollars to make these.
post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:39 PM

CF

I'd be interested in the CF version..once u determine a price. Great work!!
post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:27 AM

My new Glass Glove Box

Received Kevin's glass box a couple of weeks ago, and slowly painted it with Krylon Any Surface satin black spray paint. I then lined the inside with self-stick black felt from the local AC Moore (there are 2 kinds, soft and stiff, and they have different labels, so you can see the label in one pic). This color - as you will see in the photos - is blacker and shinier than the plastic, however, as I am planning to replace the dash pieces with leather wrapped pieces, it is a very close match in terms of color and shininess with the standard black leather; note the gear shift gaiter for comparison.

The fit is very good - meaning very tight - but that way I don't have to worry about screwing in through the back, because it's definitely not going anywhere. I am very pleased and now have a place for all the stuff that was in my old car! I also purchased a small nickel silver handle from HD, which is close to the finish of the aluminum, but not sure I will need it. The felt only goes to the edges of the flatter parts, because if it went to the very edges, the lid will not close, and these parts cover each other when the door is closed. Thanks, Kevin! (sorry if the images are giant. I went to preferences, and it says it will automatically re-size them?)
Attached Images

post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks fir posting Craig.the semi gloss black looks nice.the felt is a nice touch too.
post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 07:46 PM

Interesting project. It looks like it's fairly high quality, and it looks you've made efficient use of space. But am I the only one here that thinks it looks like someone stuffed their purse into the dash? Especially with the shiny carbon fiber?

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in