Engine cover alignment question - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kfennell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Engine cover alignment question

I am about to attempt to reshim my engine cover at the hinges in order to make it more even, and level. You can see in the pic that it seems to sag on the right side while alignment is perfect on the left.

Before I go unbolting things and making it worse is there anything else I can try to correct this? Or is it all about the shims?

Thanks
Attached Images

-Smoky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:53 AM

There are two adjustments possible. At the shims and at the screws with the rubber bumpers. Might see what you can accomplish by shortening the drivers side screw a little.
Smoky likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks!

Well it turned out to be easier than I thought. "After" pic attached.

What I did was to shorten both screws in the rear corners to pull them out of the "shut" equation. Then I shortened the main catch to the point where it no longer latches and then went a tad longer until I got a strong latching and clean releasing action (involves some centering of the main latch).

At this point nothing had changed. So I moved to the right-side hinge.

When you loosen the two bolts on this hinge, the engine cover will want to slide toward the clam. It won't make contact but to avoid stressing the other hinge connection and just to be safe you should fold and stuff a wash sponge between the cover and clam so the sponge is fully supporting the clam when it comes loose. Also, in my case, "centered" on this hinge meant "all the way rear", so it was easy for me to keep track of the original position. YMMV

I loosened, but didn't remove, the two bolts then slid the shim into place, keeping everything straight and even as I tighten the two bolts back down. I ended up needing two shims (P/N A122B0199F). It is now symmetrical, which is what I was after. "Flush" may not be possible, or I think one might need longer screws for the hinge... and maybe I'll tackle that one day but right now I am totally happy with "even", "level" and "symmetrical".

Then I went back and lengthened the rear corner screws (the ones with the rubber cap) until tapping on each corner when shut not longer caused any kind of rattle.

Only thing I wish now is to get a more "shut" engine cover. The rear of the cover feels like it sits a tad bit high. But I if I compress the spring any more than it is then for some reason it does not latch. I guess it's not a huge deal but I know I've seen cleaner shut lines on these engine covers on other cars.
Attached Images

-Smoky

Last edited by Smoky; 04-11-2019 at 11:44 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
Thanks!

Only thing I wish now is to get a more "shut" engine cover. The rear of the cover feels like it sits a tad bit high. But I if I compress the spring any more than it is then for some reason it does not latch. I guess it's not a huge deal but I know I've seen cleaner shut lines on these engine covers on other cars.
There is probably some play in where the latch assembly bolts to the clam. I think it is all through bolted to the trunk IIRC, maybe you can pull it down.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
Thanks!

There is probably some play in where the latch assembly bolts to the clam. I think it is all through bolted to the trunk IIRC, maybe you can pull it down.
That was also my first thought but right now the spring is tightened down such that if I compress it any more then it will no longer latch. I don't know why, though. Seems like it should still have enough compression to latch.

-Smoky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in