Fixed Position Bracket for Stock Driver Seat? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Fixed Position Bracket for Stock Driver Seat?

Hi All,

Has anyone made (or is aware of) a fixed bracket for the stock driver's seat in an elise/exige? I never need to adjust the seat, as I always have it fully rearward, and I have lots of play in the rail. The solutions I have found in other threads:
  • Put a bolt through each side of the stock rail. I may do this, but not a big fan of drilling a hole in a key safety element of the vehicle
  • TallRails. I don't want my knees crammed into the steering wheel. Can holes be drilled in those rails to get stock (full rearward) positioning?
  • Do corbeau rails or others work with the stock rails?
  • Any other good solution?

Thanks!
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:48 AM

I have a set of InoKinetic's TALLRails I could sale...

another option would be FIA Rails available through British Racing Group.

WNC Tour Guide - WNC Drives (click me!)
'93 Vintage Red RX-7 - NA 20B
'06 Chili Red Exige - RIP 2017.12.01
'06 Ardent Red Exige Katana2 - try this again
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:54 AM

as for the tallrails and modifying them for the position you want - I've modified a set already to put the seat forward (I'm rather short... and like a more reclined driving position). How far back do you need the seat? I can snap some pictures of the tallrails for you if you need some to get a better idea to see if you can get them to work for you.

WNC Tour Guide - WNC Drives (click me!)
'93 Vintage Red RX-7 - NA 20B
'06 Chili Red Exige - RIP 2017.12.01
'06 Ardent Red Exige Katana2 - try this again

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I basically just want the stock seat rails all the way back. That's the way I've had them for the last 11 years! So same recline and position.

The FIA rails do look like exactly the right thing. But a lot more expensive than a bolt!

Thanks!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:58 AM
He's on fire!

Do those fia rails allow the retention of the stock 3pt seat belt? Also, what do you mean there is a lot of play in the stock rails? My advice would be to sit in another car... i don't detect a lot of play in the stock rails.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:03 AM

It is natural to have some play, but he ^ has a good point about confirming if you actually have something loose on top of the natural play. It is a start, at least, but I know I had a problem where a previous owner put a longer bolt in and the frame could wiggle a bit. Fixing that for me made a huge difference.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 10:32 AM

Try your passenger side rail and see if that works for you.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 02:55 PM

Can't you order, from Lotus, a passenger side seat base for a right hand drive
S2 car?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

That might work Ted. I wasn't sure whether the bolt spacing is the same.

JDS62F: Good point about the FIA rails. I do indeed want to keep stock belts.

As to the other questions: Its definitely play in the rail. I can see the two parts of the rail (the part attached to the car and the part attached to the seat) each fixed to their respective positions, but moving relative to each other a fraction of an inch.

I've owned the car for 10 years and it has gotten much worse in the last 2 years or so.

Bolt through the rail may be the best solution after all.

Thanks all!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 11:52 PM
Sig

Garage
Have you seen this thread?
Let's talk about seat rails - not for you, if you aren't at least 6' tall

Whoever said that island life is great was never committed to Alcatraz...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 02:35 AM

I just went though this again.

I had the tall rails but the seat back was under the roll bar cover which put my massive head in line with the roll hoop - basically if I was in an accident my head would be split open on the corner of the roll bar cover. This always scared me so I decided to look into other options. It turned out the tall rail was in it's most upright position so the only option was to set it forward. I did that but lost too much leg room so decided to try using the stock passenger seat bracket.

The LHD passenger seat rail won't fit. The tub is wider at the back than the front so the seat rail is angled too. I called Robert at BRG and he said that the RHD passenger seat bracket should work so I ordered it.

It fits although it lines up pointing a little toward the center of the car and a little closer to the door than stock as the bolt holes don't line up as you'd expect them (did Lotus deliberately do that so it couldn't be used?).

My head is now save although I lost a little head room - i'm fine but can't wear a helmet with the hardtop on and leg room is restored. The RHD passenger seat rail was something like $60 so not a huge expense.

If I think of it tonight I'll snap a pic

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again all. Those custom rails from britishspeed look like just the trick... if I had time to weld up a pair.

Cornbeef: Does the stock RHD passenger bracket position the seat similar fore-aft to the LHD passenger bracket (when installed on driver side of LHD car)? Any pictures showing how turned the seat is would be awesome.

Thanks!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by switkesj View Post
Thanks again all. Those custom rails from britishspeed look like just the trick... if I had time to weld up a pair.

Cornbeef: Does the stock RHD passenger bracket position the seat similar fore-aft to the LHD passenger bracket (when installed on driver side of LHD car)? Any pictures showing how turned the seat is would be awesome.

Thanks!
The rhd passenger bracket puts the seat in a similar position to the adjuster rail in the rear position but a little lower. Itís as low as the tall rail in its upright position.

There is a little more space between the seat and the center console but it feels fine.

Pics

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks All.

I decided I needed the seat as far back as it could go, and the RHD passenger rail would lose me an inch or so.

So I ended up going the bolting route (one bolt through each rail). Zero play in the rail now.

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in