Has anyone put a real "race" seat in an elise? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone put a real "race" seat in an elise?

I am looking to get something with side bolsters, and head containment, and it looks like there is nothing that will fit between the side rail and the shifter mechanism, even with the mechanism removed. The smallest seat the I fit in was the OMP HTE-R, but it is 19.7" at the widest of the bottom, and the seat area narrows to 17.5" at the front. I wonder if I could cut the "rolled over" part of the bolsters off to make it fit there? Just looking for some other ideas.

Please don't suggest something like the T3 etc. I really need something that wraps around my thighs and shoulders much better then stock, so far all of the "off the shelf" elige seats I have sat on my back doesn't even touch the back of the seat as my shoulders are too wide to fit in the wings. That hurts after a session!

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 07:08 AM

Kevin,

Check the For Sale adds for seats. A while back somebody was selling a Kirky seat that was mounted a Lotus. Other than that, take a trip to Charlotte and I'm sure we can get you one custom fitted. Several seat manufactures in the area.

Later,
Eldon
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

It does seem like it's possible to get a Kirky in there, AND that led me to a thread where someone cut a bit off a Sparco Pro 2000 that might work...

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:07 AM

From my understanding, the head support interferes with the passenger seat.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:21 AM
Plug Whisperer

the compact aluminum containment seats will fit in the car fine... you have to make your own brackets of course.... the issue is with all the composite seats... they just take up too much real estate.

-Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Here is the thread, damn shoulda bought those!

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/...-seats-417450/

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Went with a Kirkey seat (without the head containment). It's been a few years but went through the "custom shop" to modify a standard seat for a better fit... think it added about $100 to the cost.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 11:57 AM

I actually owned a Recaro Profi SPG before I owned my Elise. It's the seat used in the cup cars. I set it on the floor of the car with no brackets and was so disappointed with the raised seating position that I sold it. I've been auto-xing with the stock seat for four years and while it's not awesome, it works ok.

I'd love to modify a stock seat by adding custom fiberglass extensions of the bolstering. Years ago, I saw that a guy on here did that and it was great. I wish I could find that thread again.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonz View Post
From my understanding, the head support interferes with the passenger seat.
At this point we are kind of in "whats a passenger seat" mode.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB View Post
Went with a Kirkey seat (without the head containment). It's been a few years but went through the "custom shop" to modify a standard seat for a better fit... think it added about $100 to the cost.
Hey you're still on the forums! Yeah I saw your posts from years ago when you did this. It's looking like it's either kirkey or cut up a fiberglass seat...

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Been a while...
Based it on a stock Kirkey seat ( something like the 58 series). Then had their custom shop make some changes to better fit me and the Elise. Fab up some brackets and was good to go.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Were you able to side mount yours so it sits right on the floor pan, or is it bottom mounted?

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Side mount on the stock rails ~ .25" off the bottom. Added the Sys6Pack and a seat back brace to finish it off.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 05:15 PM

I've got Kirkeys that I threw some carbon fiber over top. I used to have the head restraints on too.

2005 SY-REV310 Supercharger, clam hinge, 2bular 8" single tip exhaust, 2bular header, Ohlin Double Adjustables, RTDbrace, Custom Kirkey 58 Series seats, Schroth 6 pt. harnesses, Multivex mirrors, Race battery, Micromirror, HID's, V2arms, Sparco removeable steering wheel, Volk CE28N's with Hoosier R7's, Pagid RS 14 pads, Cup airbox, catch cans, Ultradiscs, gPan, splitter, canards, Reverie wing, 6 element diffuser, proRad
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotto View Post
I've got Kirkeys that I threw some carbon fiber over top. I used to have the head restraints on too.
Got any pictures, models, how they are mounted, what you weigh, any info would be appreciated.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:34 PM

I am 6'1" and 240lbs. I fit fine.
Attached Images

2005 SY-REV310 Supercharger, clam hinge, 2bular 8" single tip exhaust, 2bular header, Ohlin Double Adjustables, RTDbrace, Custom Kirkey 58 Series seats, Schroth 6 pt. harnesses, Multivex mirrors, Race battery, Micromirror, HID's, V2arms, Sparco removeable steering wheel, Volk CE28N's with Hoosier R7's, Pagid RS 14 pads, Cup airbox, catch cans, Ultradiscs, gPan, splitter, canards, Reverie wing, 6 element diffuser, proRad
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 06:01 AM

Kevin,

This is my preferred seat manufacturer. RACECAR SEATS: Custom Made Racing Seats by The Joie of Seating

They make semi and full custom seats sized to fit your body. I had one in my modified and it was great. It worked so well that when I destroyed the car at the beginning of last year, I got out of the car unhurt. I didn't even have any bruises or soreness the next day. I would also take a look at running 8 pt belts instead of 5 or 6.

Later,
Eldon
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

@eldonz I am sure they are great, but they don't even list prices on their site, in my experience that isn't a good sign!

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 06:51 AM

Kevin,

When I purchased my semi-custom seat it was around $1200. These are NOT a Kirkey seat, which I have had. If that is what you are looking for, I have a couple in my shop. I try not to put a price on safety equipment.

Give them a call and talk to them. Randy Lajoie is a former NASCAR driver that has turned his attention to trying to get grassroots motorsports safe.

I have thought about getting him to build custom seats for my car because, like you, the seats that we get from the Europeans just don't fit our broad shouldered bodies.

Later,
Eldon
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 11:21 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonz View Post
Kevin,

This is my preferred seat manufacturer. RACECAR SEATS: Custom Made Racing Seats by The Joie of Seating...
I can second Eldon's recommendation. I have one of their seats that they custom made for my Spec Race Atom a few years ago. It is excellent. They have made improvements since then. The halo will be the biggest challenge for you to fit if you want to keep your door glass. This seat won't fit in my race Elise.

A custom seat will take more time and money but your car seems to be super focused so it will be money well spent.

ReVerie make a FIA approved seat as well that has good bolstering.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in