Heater Core Bypass Mod (Tony Wa) [How To] - Page 8 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:12 PM

Fixed...thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvacc
Ok....just got back from the 7's 50th reunion and I did not take the Elise. Well I got back and just took it out for a test drive.

I seem somehow to have the temp switch reversed. When I go all the way to the left...it is full hot. Right....cool.

I could swear I did not screw up the connections....I had them labeled...but I must have.

Does someone have the correct wire connections to the new push/pull switch?

thanks

Tony

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 02:59 AM
Probably Lurking

So, you can switch the bypass in and out? I guess I should have taken a closer look at the instructions. It's been a long time, but I thought if you did this mod your heat was gone.

Also, it sounds like the bypass automatically shuts off when the car shuts off. Is that true?

Are there kits still available for this? It sounds like I should do it.

-Shawn (2005 Elise) || New England Members of Lotus Ltd. (NEMOLL) - PM me to join local info list or NEMOLL || UberPost - Elise/Exige info: common problems/fixes, etc.
post #143 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper
So, you can switch the bypass in and out? I guess I should have taken a closer look at the instructions. It's been a long time, but I thought if you did this mod your heat was gone.

Also, it sounds like the bypass automatically shuts off when the car shuts off. Is that true?
Tony's kit uses a vacuum controlled bypass valve to "shut off" the heater core. When you turn off the engine you loose vacuum and the heater is no longer bypassed. This is good, because the Elise has a coolant circulation pump that can turn on to circulate coolant through the head to lessen heat soak - this turns on automatically (as needed) after you shut down your engine (and walk away from the car). The coolant circulates through the heater system to "vent" the heat.

The vacuum bypass valve is controlled by an electric switch. When off, there is no engine vacuum supplied and the heater is not bypassed. When on, the vacuum is passed to the valve. Nice clean system to reduce the heat soak of the heater core that causes warm air to always blow out of the vents.

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White

post #144 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 02:46 PM

Wow....what a difference. Drove my car over the weekend and it really is such a difference. Car is now cooler and very nice.

Great Mod...wish I had done it sooner..

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
post #145 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Tony V - 3/4" insulation - Sorry no callback

Tony V.

Apologies for no callback, I'm on the road again....

The other piece of insulation in the kit was for the aluminum tube that comes from the driver's (LHD) side across the bulkhead where it gets clamped to the rubber tube that goes on to the heater core (one of the two hoses you cut to do the mod). I slid the insulation under/around that tube to isolate it from the frame. No biggie if you don't go back and add it.

Glad the mod is working out!

FZUST/QBALL will be glad you grew a set.......

Tony W.
05 Elise (Stage II, FrankIntake CAI, heater bypass)
04 MINI S (heavily modified)
06 IS350
69 Lotus Elan S4 SE - (orig black badge, weber, etc)
59 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite (heavily modified, 70WHP)

Last edited by Tonywa28; 07-16-2007 at 03:06 PM.
post #146 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 07:53 PM

Just had Huper-Optik film installed this evening. Driving down to Dimwitt tomorrow.... hope it'll be a nice compliment to the TonyW mod!

-Michael
'05 Nighfall Blue with Rallye Stripes!
post #147 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane
Just had Huper-Optik film installed this evening. Driving down to Dimwitt tomorrow.... hope it'll be a nice compliment to the TonyW mod!

without me searching...what the heck is this?

Tony Vaccaro
post #148 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Kits - I'll make a few more

Folx,
Due to popular demand, I'll do some more kits. It may take 2-3 weeks to get them out, but they'll come out (I lose a little bit on each kit, so priority is a little low in the scheme of things...). I'll be using the proceeds to fund my supercharger purchase (that'll be the story for the wife anyway) . I should clear tens of dollars!!!

Please let me know by email ([email protected]) within the next 2 weeks so I can get an accurate count before I order parts. I really get killed on the one or two kits where I have to order parts (shipping).

Price is $120 with optional potentiometer switch (replaces temp switch, retains stock look). $110 with basic rocker switch.

I've let several people know by PM, email or in person that I'll be doing some more. Two have already confirmed (IANA and Z-TEC).

Tony W.
06 IS350
post #149 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Elise Guru

Tony, Many thanks! E-mail sent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonywa28
Folx,
Due to popular demand, I'll do some more kits. It may take 2-3 weeks to get them out, but they'll come out (I lose a little bit on each kit, so priority is a little low in the scheme of things...). I'll be using the proceeds to fund my supercharger purchase (that'll be the story for the wife anyway) . I should clear tens of dollars!!!

Please let me know by email ([email protected]) within the next 2 weeks so I can get an accurate count before I order parts. I really get killed on the one or two kits where I have to order parts (shipping).

Price is $120 with optional potentiometer switch (replaces temp switch, retains stock look). $110 with basic rocker switch.

I've let several people know by PM, email or in person that I'll be doing some more. Two have already confirmed (IANA and Z-TEC).

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #150 of 340 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 12:51 PM

My Impressions :
Tony has a winner here
I posted this in another thread so I will just copy and paste...

The heater bypass helps without a doubt - when you have your cover off and see how close the heater core sits next to the A/C core you will shake your head in disbelief, Basically the airflow runs between the a/c core (cold side) and the heater core and with the Hot water circulating in the core the cooled air is passing right by the heater core with the 180-200 degree right next to it so obviously you are picking up the radiant heat from the heater core as your cooled air is making it's way to the vents! Brilliant design
Tony's mod bypasses the heater core before the hot water reaches the core so the cool air blowing through the system is running by a heater core that is now ambient until you flip the switch to allow the hot water to pass through the heater core again, Great mod! Now at cruise with the vent on I feel ambient air coming out of the vents instead of hot air!
It works!
You can thank Tony for this - He also wrapped some insulation around the flex hose that came from the Evap core to the vents!

PS - For ****s and giggles I decided to test how long a difference it makes so I had the car running in by-pass mode and idled the car with the vents open and the fan on full and the heat to full on, As soon as I flipped the switch off it took less that 5 seconds to feel all the heat blowing on my face then I switched Tony's by-pass mod on and it started cooling right away and was ambient within 10 seconds - Great stuff!
post #151 of 340 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 06:39 PM

Bump for Tony - very happy with this mod!
post #152 of 340 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Folx - I'll be cutting off the orders Friday (8/10/07)

I have kit orders from the following, if you should be or want to be on the list EMAIL me at [email protected]. That's the surest way to get to me. I doubt I'll make any more kits after this, I sort of forgot how much time is involved....

All PMs have been answered, so if you're on the fence, choose a side!!

Michael C.
Tass H.
Stanford C.
Chris H.
Bob F.
James Y.
Brian C.
Shawn
Dipan
Dusten
Gary J.
ben36
Fred Z.
Richard S.
Chris N. (need your email addr)

Tony W.
06 IS350

Last edited by Tonywa28; 08-06-2007 at 01:05 PM.
post #153 of 340 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonywa28
I have kit orders from the following, if you should be or want to be on the list EMAIL me at [email protected]. That's the surest way to get to me. I doubt I'll make any more kits after this, I sort of forgot how much time is involved....

All PMs have been answered, so if you're on the fence, choose a side!!

Michael C.
Tass H.
Stanford C.
Chris H.
Bob F.
James Y.
Brian C.
Shawn
Dipan
Dusten
Gary J.
ben36
Fred Z.
Richard S.
Chris N. (need your email addr)
[email protected]

Ardent Red 2005
Delivered 12/04/04 #742 Auto Europe
post #154 of 340 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 02:42 PM

Tony:

Sent you andemail and left message on your phone.
Please order one (non pot) and instruct on payment method.
Do not mail, keep it there until we can install it so you dont have to pack it or have the postage expense.

Thanks

Tom
post #155 of 340 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 04:33 PM

Need two kits

Tony,

Sign me up for two kits. I have a friend (83 years old!) who wants one for his 06 Elise, as well.

I'll check the earlier posts on how to pay.

Thanks,

David

2006 Elise, Graphite Grey/Red leather, Sport Elise Suspension, Cup airbox, ECU ref lash, MonoBalls, etc. etc.
1992 900SS Ducati Race Spec Built by Ferracci
2006 KTM 950 SuperMoto, a work in progress

Old stuff gone: Ferrari 275GTB/4, '69 1275 Cooper S. '72 500 Fiat, old Jags, etc. Never bought a boring car.
post #156 of 340 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Probably Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxotic
Tony:

Sent you andemail and left message on your phone.
Please order one (non pot) and instruct on payment method.
Do not mail, keep it there until we can install it so you dont have to pack it or have the postage expense.

Thanks

Tom
Buy the pot. All the cool kids are doing it.

-Shawn (2005 Elise) || New England Members of Lotus Ltd. (NEMOLL) - PM me to join local info list or NEMOLL || UberPost - Elise/Exige info: common problems/fixes, etc.
post #157 of 340 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 06:43 PM

I'll take one. Please check your e-mail.
post #158 of 340 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 02:15 PM

Email sent.

Never Lift....
post #159 of 340 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdc
Sign me up for two kits. I have a friend (83 years old!) who wants one for his 06 Elise, as well.
OK, How many people here agree with me that:
#1. That is just so bad-ass.
#2. Hope that that is us at 83.
#3. Hope we can still get in and out of the thing.
#3. Hope like hell he drives better than many other 83 year-olds.

You need to post a picture of that stud with his car.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #160 of 340 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Response to kit offering

Scary amount of orders! My fingies will be bleedin' (SOP for all my projects anyway...)

I'll post the final list of orders I have tomorrow (Fri) night or Sat morning.

I'm getting a few questions frequently;

First, there is no functional difference between the two types of switches.

* Simple rocker switch - just a tiny rocker switch that easier to install

* Switched Pot - replaces your rotating temperature switch, keeps original knob. Temp knob clicks in or out to disengage or engage bypass. Only moves about 3/16". Pretty trick, but a lot more involved install.

Check the attached PDF to see which switch is right for you.

Second, you do not lose the ability to heat your car, all original ac/heat functions will operate normally (except for the cooler vent temps when you want them)

Third, when engine stops, the solenoid releases and water flows through the normal path in the heater core, so the recirculation circuit works normally.

Thanks for all the orders, I'm overwhelmed.....should have charged more....
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Bypass Upload for ET switch choice.pdf (374.7 KB, 360 views)

Tony W.
06 IS350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in