How to: LED COB halo ring tail light conversion for 2005 Elise - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedR View Post
Great DIY and write up. I suspect there will be quite a few that give this a try.

For those that want LEDs, don't want to DIY, and don't want to pay the price for 2006+ lights, I noticed that Elise Parts will be selling replacement LED units for our federal S2 cars for about $500, plus shipping.

https://www.eliseparts.com/products/...rear-lamps-s2/
Thank you! I actually considered those, but I thought they looked a little aftermarket-ish? The 2006+ lights look like jewels, and the 2005 lights with the diffuser disk chromed out with COB rings over top doesn't look all that bad IMO with the lights off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobuzz311 View Post
500 isn't a terrible price for OEM led tails, but the ones in this diy just look cooler / more modern. What to do, what to do...
Haha, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwerl View Post
You magnificent bastard! These look fantastic- far nicer than the new style tail lights I have. I installed these rings in my headlights. They look great there as well.

Josh
Thank you! I might do the same type of halos up front eventually, depends on how patient I am with removing the stock headlights.

-Rich

2005 Saffron Yellow Elise, far from stock
Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 01:17 PM

Awesome write up. I'll order those parts and give this a try. Thanks so much.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 02:51 PM

Garage
nice! I'm going to do this to my 06 and keep the led lights in a little box under my bed as a retirement fund!

David Avery
06 Lotus Exige | 08 BMW M3 Cab
visit focusedE

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma550 View Post
nice! I'm going to do this to my 06 and keep the led lights in a little box under my bed as a retirement fund!

I'll buy them. I need one side, since I have half a set.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Looks like Greg's racing parts will be offering these for sale, so if you're lazy, not crafty, or have better things to do with your time, keep an eye out for GRP's offering as it looked almost identical on Greg's Instagram post. Nicely done Greg!
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspoons View Post
Looks like Greg's racing parts will be offering these for sale, so if you're lazy, not crafty, or have better things to do with your time, keep an eye out for GRP's offering as it looked almost identical on Greg's Instagram post. Nicely done Greg!

Transforged is also developing a set, but full replacement instead of conversion.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 03:37 PM

Garage
Great write up! With the diffused ring look, these look better than the expensive '06+ factory pieces imo.

I have a few questions for you.

Do you think having just 2 rings(instead of 3) with the inside ring being full bright for the brake light would be bright enough?

Could the unused center lens be used for a standard turn signal bulb instead of LED's?

I'm thinking of trying this, but using LED's just for the running lights and brake lights, while hopefully using the standard center reverse lights, and using the center turn signal bulbs as the euro cars do.

'05 Lotus Elise Touring Hardtop-REV400+Track mods
'94 Mazda RX-7 Twin Turbo-Reliability mods
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_R View Post
Do you think having just 2 rings(instead of 3) with the inside ring being full bright for the brake light would be bright enough?
I used different halos than hotspoons, and I got away with one halo for both brakes and running lights. I used the Diode Dynamics COB halos with built in PWM. They are wider than what was used in this DIY, each being 16mm wide. So my set up is as follows:
4x 110mm red halos; one in each light
2x 90mm amber halos; outside lights only

All 4 red halos are set to do running lights and brake lights.
The 2 amber halos are set within the outside red halos and handle turn signals. They're "amber" because the red housing changes the color significantly​. But they are more yellow than the brake lights.

I have a few pics taken right after install. I can take a video one of these nights to show how they function.
shay2nak and darkSol like this.

2005 Elise - Storm Titanium

Last edited by lobuzz311; 05-07-2017 at 06:15 AM.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 09:04 AM
ak47007

Quote:
Hey man , I'm in the process of your DIY , I'm about 80% done , stuck on some last parts. Could you Help me ?
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahad Khan View Post
Quote:
Hey man , I'm in the process of your DIY , I'm about 80% done , stuck on some last parts. Could you Help me ?
Ahad, sorry, just saw this, you probably saw my comment on Instagram but let me know if you figured it all out. Also, based on your blinker speed, you'll want to pick up one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JZ79NC/
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Great write up! With the diffused ring look, these look better than the expensive '06+ factory pieces imo.

I have a few questions for you.

Could the unused center lens be used for a standard turn signal bulb instead of LED's?

I'm thinking of trying this, but using LED's just for the running lights and brake lights, while hopefully using the standard center reverse lights, and using the center turn signal bulbs as the euro cars do.
Sorry for the long lapse in response, Yahoo mail sends all notification emails from LT to my spam folder so I almost never see them.

I'd say you are probably okay with 2 rings; I did 3 because I wanted to be sure that they lit up enough to be noticed in daylight (they definitely do). And yes, you certainly could use the second set of unused centers as turn indicators, but you'd need to find the bulb sockets and wire in the pigtails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobuzz311 View Post
Quote:
I used different halos than hotspoons, and I got away with one halo for both brakes and running lights. I used the Diode Dynamics COB halos with built in PWM. They are wider than what was used in this DIY, each being 16mm wide. So my set up is as follows:
4x 110mm red halos; one in each light
2x 90mm amber halos; outside lights only

All 4 red halos are set to do running lights and brake lights.
The 2 amber halos are set within the outside red halos and handle turn signals. They're "amber" because the red housing changes the color significantly​. But they are more yellow than the brake lights.

I have a few pics taken right after install. I can take a video one of these nights to show how they function.
Those look awesome, nicely done!!!???
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 02:15 AM
S1 Elise

Thanks to hotspoons and lobuzz311 for their very useful posts. Iíve used them as inspiration to build led rear lights for my 1997 S1 Elise in Australia. I was impressed with the Diode Dynamics delicvered for 3 rings itís a bit too expensive if it doesnít work out. So, Iíve ordered some eBay cob rings similar to those used by hotspoons and hope that they work!
Unlike the S2 models, the S1 was never made with led lights, so I may be doing some pioneering work!
I realise that the S1s were never officially sold in the USA so this may be of limited interest, but please let me know if youíd like me to detail what Iím doing. This post is really to thank the members on this thread for the info and inspiration.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Mellish View Post
Thanks to hotspoons and lobuzz311 for their very useful posts. Iíve used them as inspiration to build led rear lights for my 1997 S1 Elise in Australia. I was impressed with the Diode Dynamics delicvered for 3 rings itís a bit too expensive if it doesnít work out. So, Iíve ordered some eBay cob rings similar to those used by hotspoons and hope that they work!
Unlike the S2 models, the S1 was never made with led lights, so I may be doing some pioneering work!
I realise that the S1s were never officially sold in the USA so this may be of limited interest, but please let me know if youíd like me to detail what Iím doing. This post is really to thank the members on this thread for the info and inspiration.
I'd recommend superbrightleds.com over eBay's. I went down this road and the ones from SBLEDs are way brighter and they warranty their stuff. Cheaper than DD but more expensive that eBay. If you want to go eBay route I have a bunch I can sell you for cheap.

Last edited by Rizzydee; 12-25-2017 at 02:02 PM.
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 02:10 PM
S1 Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzydee View Post
I'd recommend superbrightleds.com over eBay's. I went down this road and the ones from SBLEDs are way brighter and they warranty their stuff. Cheaper than DD but more expensive that eBay. If you want to go eBay route I have a bunch I can sell you for cheap.
Thanks Rizzydee. The problem is that in the past few years shipping costs from the USA have risen to ridiculous levels. To get 2 pairs of led rings worth $28 delivered to Australia in 10 days would cost over $80! This is why I have gone to eBay. Shipping on 4 rings is under A$10 (US$6). Unfortunately finding a supplier in Australia is proving very difficult.

In the future (or maybe for version 2.0) I would still consider Diode Dynamics.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 06:22 PM

Ralph you can't get PMs. Shoot me a PM when able.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 10:04 PM
S1 Elise

Only 2 posts so far, will have to post some more. Better read the forum rules ☺️
I have already ordered some rings (should arrive in 3 weeks) and have fitted a new led flasher relay.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:16 PM
S1 Elise

I’ve just about finished my l.e.d ring upgrade on my S1 Elise.
Here’s a short video of the lights in action:

I have 4 rings for tail lights, (all red) with inner rings for stop lights and indicators.
Here are the 4 tail lights:

The l.e.d's were glued directly onto the lens:
shay2nak likes this.

Last edited by Ralph_Mellish; 02-09-2018 at 11:24 PM.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:46 AM

This is a great mod! I just finished doing the driver's side, now on to the passenger side. I did a couple of things differently.

1) Instead of using the diffusers, I made some aluminum rings then painted them black.
2) For the backup and brake lights I used a 2" Trux Dual Revolution marker light that switches from red to white: https://truxaccessories.com/led-ligh...white-7-diodes
3) For the turn signals, I used another Trux light, this one amber: https://truxaccessories.com/led-ligh...amber-7-diodes

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in