How Should I Paint my Center Console, HVAC and Engine Covers - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

How Should I Paint my Center Console, HVAC and Engine Covers

I asked this in another thread but I didn't really get that many response so I think its own thread may help

I want to paint my Center Console, HVAC and Engine Covers Magentic Blue. I went to 3 local paint places and it'll cost 150-200 for the paint and the clear coat. For that I could probably just pay someone to do it. Now the paint at tower paint is alot cheaper so I'm thinking about going that route. I'm not lookin for a mirror finish but I do want it to look nice.

Should I order the Lacquer or Enamel filled cans?
With those cans do I need to clear coat them?
Is it really worth it (time and money wise) to build a paint booth like stan did? I'm going to be painting in the garage.
Will I need a plastic adhension promotor? To those that haven't used the promotor do you notice a difference?
Should I sand inbetween coats? Again I'm not looking for a mirror finish. Just something that looks nice.

Do you guys think I should just pay someone to paint them for me? I haven't painted anything except a model when i was in the 7th grade and it didnt turn out too well.

Also there really isn't much risk driving with the engine covers removed if I have to will there?

Thanks

You can't rationalize cars like these, they're not something you buy with your head, you buy them with your heart because you love them and who can explain love. All I know is I love my lil elise more then I like any other car...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 04:12 PM

Hey, I tried to help.

Enamel doesn't require a clearcoat. Lacquer.. maybe.

But here are some facts: The engine covers simply require Krylon Fusion paint which is made to adhear to plastic. Mine is just like new after a full year of use. Cost: $5.

Tower paint is in the industry, ask them what to use. I ordered two cans of ST, a promoter and a clear for the center console and the HVAC. Some folks have sanded the console beforehand, some have not.

Multiple light coats are the secret, ~10 total for the console/HVAC, and 4 or 5 for the engine covers.

You are putting WAY too much thought into this.

--
Find me in the fields of Elysium.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 06:30 PM

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12920

unless you do it like that, it won't look pro.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

i knoe...ive been over that thread many times...thats why i asked about building a booth, however i had the name wrong (sorry ttp) and I dont want it took pro...just nice....

rite now im leaning towards just paying someone to paint it for me, i'll prolly call up tower and see how much it'll cost for promotor, etc and then make my decision

You can't rationalize cars like these, they're not something you buy with your head, you buy them with your heart because you love them and who can explain love. All I know is I love my lil elise more then I like any other car...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 07:13 PM

If you just want a nice look

You don't have to go the professional route if you only want to get a nice look for your interior and engine.

The Tower paint with the adhesion base coat worked very well for me without any sanding. I used about 5 very light coats over the course of one afternoon.

It certainly is not professional quality or concours winning condition, but it still looks very nice and no one would wonder if it wasn't delivered that way.

Give it a try yourself, if it is not to your liking, it probably won't cost any more to have it done professionally after the fact.

Jim
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 07:56 PM

I went the Tower Paint route. I did the engine covers myself (Krylon Fusion for those) and gave the spray cans to a guy at a local body shop who did the painting in trade for a case of beer. Would have done that part myself but apparently spray painting in my garage stinks up the whole house and I was ordered to desist after I did the engine covers.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 10:14 PM

Hey Tony,
I went to http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ for my paint. Gave them the paint number for my car and also ordered the clear coat. I can't say the match is perfect, but close enough for me. I did sand the center console and the HVAC and used a plastic primer that I got from Home depot. Then after I let the paint cure for a while I gave the center console a good wax job. Seemed to work for me.

Just be patient and do multiple light coats as opposed to a couple of heavy coats to avoid any drips and it'll look as good as a pro did it. And for a lot less $$$$.

good luck
Jacob
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 10:57 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMindGamez
Is it really worth it (time and money wise) to build a paint booth like stan did?
?

I don't know about a paint booth, but it sounds like you might want to practice on something else first to build experience and confidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in