Larger door striker pins to fix that rattle... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MConte05

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Larger door striker pins to fix that rattle...

I did a search last week and posted in a very old thread about this issue, but I couldn't find anything else posted about it and no one responded to that old thread... probably not in the best forum for the question.

Anyway, I've started to notice a rattle on the passenger side when I hit a significant bump in the road. If I reach over and hold the passenger door tightly, the rattle does not happen anymore. I assume it's the issue described in this link on a UK Elise parts website:

https://www.eliseparts.com/products/...-striker-pins/

My question is, would it be wise to purchase these? Driver's side doesn't seem to have issues. The other thread I found said the striker pins are adjustable when you loosen them but I haven't touched them yet as I don't want to mess with anything until I see if anyone else has experience with this issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:09 AM

I bought these, but haven't installed them yet so can't comment on how well they work. However, they are larger OD so I can't see why they wouldn't work.

Anti rattle pins

08 Exige S240 - Chrome Orange
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Awesome - thanks for the info. If nothing else, these will ship from within the US so that's a bit of a bonus right there. Please let me know if you use them and how you feel about it. My car has 25k miles on it now and I only started noticing the passenger door rattle a month or 2 ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaExige View Post
I bought these, but haven't installed them yet so can't comment on how well they work. However, they are larger OD so I can't see why they wouldn't work.

Anti rattle pins

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 10:56 PM
because racecar

I had two pair of these. I installed one just to see how they do. They do tighten up how the door closes where it does take a bit more effort to close the door, but I can see it reducing play in the latching mechanism if your car develops it. I ended up taking them off as I really had no need for them as I never had the rattle these address, and didn't care for the change in door closing effort (very minor complaint). I sold one pair, may still have the other knocking around.

2005 Lotus Elise turbo k20a2 757whp 536wtq 31psi [email protected]
2005 Lotus Elise 2zz supercharged 'streetable' race car
2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
2010 Ford F350
2004 Mazda RX8
2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I passed my license test in a 3cyl 70hp Geo Metro
I learned to drive a manual on a Lotus Elise
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the input Dallas. I may go ahead and pick up a pair. What's odd about it is that it doesn't *seem* to happen when someone is in the passenger seat... either that or their body somehow completely muffles the sound. Not sure if added weight in the passenger seat makes a difference or not? Anyway, I'll probably grab a set as it sounds like it will improve my situation with that door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasreed View Post
I had two pair of these. I installed one just to see how they do. They do tighten up how the door closes where it does take a bit more effort to close the door, but I can see it reducing play in the latching mechanism if your car develops it. I ended up taking them off as I really had no need for them as I never had the rattle these address, and didn't care for the change in door closing effort (very minor complaint). I sold one pair, may still have the other knocking around.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 01:54 PM

I used electrical tape for a while to cure that rattle in the door. Just wrapped the door striker. Cheap way to find out if it'll eliminate your issue!
oohwha likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 10:11 PM

FYI, found this video on the youtubes of these strikers. Looks like my car already has them installed so can't speak on what difference they make.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 07:12 AM

I have installed them. It was easy to do, but I did fiddle with there placement a bit to get the contact correct.
My drivers side door was loose, it fix the rattle and now snug. The passenger side didnít really need it but I installed anyway, it is definitely tighter and as mentioned before, the door requires a bit more effort to close (slightly more ďslamĒ). But in my case itís only the passenger side...

07 Exige Phantom Black
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 07:39 AM

Garage
A small piece of 12ga speaker wire is also useful to help shim the striker if it is loose and allowing the door to sag.

-Smoky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in