Leather Wrapped Center Consoles on Ebay - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Leather Wrapped Center Consoles on Ebay

Has anyone tried these from these guys? They're based in the UK. They have options in leather or suede with different color stitching.

Black Stitching Fits Lotus Exige Elise MK2 03 09 Centre Console Tunnel Cover | eBay

I've looked into a few local trim shops, but in my part of the country, prices aren't in the ballpark that I'm willing to pay. For those prices, I'd probably rather go the Carbon Fiber route and still keep my original console if I change my mind. Or maybe remove my existing console and prep/paint it. Unfortunately it looks like other resources for trimming out the interior have gone away.

I'm willing to give this a shot. They have a ton of sales, and generally very positive reviews. I'm a little worried cause I've never applied leather trim to plastic...and I really don't know what I'm doing; but I'm pretty good at figuring it out.

If anyone has experience with these, please let me know.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 09:00 AM

Garage
Really interesting...I've been wanting to do an OEM leather console since I got my car, but have been unwilling to spend $700 on one. This looks like a decent option depending on the quality of the leather, and the fit/finish. Please let us know if you move forward, and document the process. I'd be very curious to see how this pans out.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verichai View Post
Really interesting...I've been wanting to do an OEM leather console since I got my car, but have been unwilling to spend $700 on one. This looks like a decent option depending on the quality of the leather, and the fit/finish. Please let us know if you move forward, and document the process. I'd be very curious to see how this pans out.
I think I'm gonna go ahead and do it. I'll start with the little rear piece that they call the cupholder...that'll be more or less my test piece. If I screw it up...it's kind of in the back and hard to see anyways.

Now if you look through their items...unfortunately their leather wrapped photos are low quality and low res. But their suede photos are higher res and you can see more detail. The fit looks pretty decent. Honestly, I'm not expecting the best quality of leather...but anything is better than the cheap plastic that's there right now.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 10:22 AM

bought some stuff from them, same idea, try it and see if I can do it. seems good quality, fine to deal with. Not super quick shipping but it is coming from europe, so no expectations there

I saw some you tube videos on this, seems not so easy,but what the heck.....
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
bought some stuff from them, same idea, try it and see if I can do it. seems good quality, fine to deal with. Not super quick shipping but it is coming from europe, so no expectations there

I saw some you tube videos on this, seems not so easy,but what the heck.....
I'm trying to research some glue options right now. I'm looking for something that'll give me some working time. Not looking for contact bond or instant bond...cause that's where i'll probably screw up.

I contacted one glue company about their glue types and they said they can't recommend their glue because their glue is non-solvent based. And with the potential of high heat in a car application, that we need a solvent-based glue. I don't really know what that means, but I'll look into it some more.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 10:52 AM

Actually I think you do want contact cement.

this is one I watched

note how small an area he does at once
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 10:56 AM

I did my sills with this company, was pretty good stuff. Get what you pay for.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaSm3zoWrAo

this is one I watched

note how small an area he does at once
Hmm, interesting. That seems like it'll be hard to pull off at the dome section of the center console where the shifter is. Unless I take apart the stitching and then re-stitch it.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 11:28 AM

Alright, I'm curious. I like doing my own stuff.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 03:13 PM
glb

I think I got the whole center thing done locally for ~$250.

Nice job. And, I prefer supporting local people when I can.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
In that case (see post #6), contact cement was needed to get good adhesion in the recesses. For a well-fitted part like a console cover, you're better off with regular rubber cement. Get a quart. Apply plenty of it and let it dry a bit. You can reposition the piece easily and repeatedly. Spray rubber cement is pretty good for this too, but be sure not to get overspray on the show side. You still need contact cement to secure the leather edge that wraps around to the inside of the plastic part.

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Y. Berra
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 09:02 PM

Anyone try these yet?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Mine came in. Leather quality is actually pretty good. The stitching is pretty tight and solid. The accent colored stitching looks sloppy. The stitching just isn't evenly spaced and looks inconsistent.

I ended up using a contact cement that I picked up from Home Depot, called DAP Weldwood. Rated to work on plastics leathers and other stuff. Worked pretty good, but wrapping the dome part of the console was way harder than i expected. It's a little uneven in certain spots and there's some wrinkles in the leather. Overall not too bad. It looks better than the plastics in my opinion. And if it ends up bothering me too much...I might just opt for a CF Center console.

see attached pics

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstomp06 View Post
Mine came in. Leather quality is actually pretty good. The stitching is pretty tight and solid. The accent colored stitching looks sloppy. The stitching just isn't evenly spaced and looks inconsistent.

I ended up using a contact cement that I picked up from Home Depot, called DAP Weldwood. Rated to work on plastics leathers and other stuff. Worked pretty good, but wrapping the dome part of the console was way harder than i expected. It's a little uneven in certain spots and there's some wrinkles in the leather. Overall not too bad. It looks better than the plastics in my opinion. And if it ends up bothering me too much...I might just opt for a CF Center console.

see attached pics

That's actually not bad. It doesn't really match the perforated leather from the stock shifter, but it's not bad. At least the stitching is straight. Did you score the plastic before using the glue?

That's actually not bad.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 05:13 AM

Also did you use a little heat to help stretch the leather and get the seams out before laying down?
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
That's actually not bad. It doesn't really match the perforated leather from the stock shifter, but it's not bad. At least the stitching is straight. Did you score the plastic before using the glue?

That's actually not bad.
I did sand the plastic as I saw people doing that in a couple videos. It seemed to help with the adhesion. But over night as that stuff sets in, it really seems to really bond.

I sanded the plastic. I applied the glue to the leather and let it soak in. I saw some people suggest that online. After it soaks in. I applied it in sections to both the plastic and leather. Per the directions of the glue, I waited about 15 mins and then put the two pieces together. Obviously some parts of the console were a lot easier then others. The dome was especially tough because at times the leather would fold and crumple up...and that'd cause the leather to stick to itself. I'm not really sure how i'd do it differently the next time around.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConte05 View Post
Also did you use a little heat to help stretch the leather and get the seams out before laying down?
Per my sister's advice, I used a steamer as I was stretching the stuff out. But I found it tricky because sometimes you could stretch it too much and get some kind of inconsistency in the texture.

Fortunately the cement does give you a little leeway, so you can pull back and reset if needed a couple times.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstomp06 View Post
Per my sister's advice, I used a steamer as I was stretching the stuff out. But I found it tricky because sometimes you could stretch it too much and get some kind of inconsistency in the texture.

Fortunately the cement does give you a little leeway, so you can pull back and reset if needed a couple times.

Other than the dome stitching being off a bit, it looks like it all lines up well. I'd be happy with it as is. You should post a disassembly/reassembly thread.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 09:40 AM

Garage
I am very impressed with this end result. I mean, especially compared to a $760 OEM piece, this is absolutely great. Nice work!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
Other than the dome stitching being off a bit, it looks like it all lines up well. I'd be happy with it as is. You should post a disassembly/reassembly thread.
Overall I'm satisfied with the end result given how much I paid for it. The center console wrap was like $130 bucks, and the glue was maybe 10 bucks. It looks way better than the stock plastic. But I'm one of those anal nit-picky guys, and focus on imperfections...especially since I know exactly where they are. But for now I'm satisfied. Buying a wrapped one wasn't really an option, and my local trim shops were way too expensive.

I'd do a assembly, disassembly thread, but I'm really doing a bunch of stuff at once. The leather wrap, adding heated seats, changing out speakers to larger ones, a little extra sound insulation, and a couple of interior accent lights at the footwell area. So right now most of my interior is out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in