nci full race splitter - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 07:48 AM

Looks great. I look forward to seeing the exige version

2007 Lotus 255 Cup, AP BBK F&R, Innovative mounts, RLS CF Intercooler heat shield, Railer diffuser, Custom hood Pins, gPan, Saikou Michi oil cc, RLS AL Intercooler tubes, Radium FST, 2Bular GT3 8X24, RLS suplemental IC Scoops, APR canards, CF rear wing, CF Scoops, Radium Fuel Rail and AN fuel pump adapter, AN fuel lines, 2bular decat and headers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Great to see the time you are spending to make this part, your commitment to quality will benifit us all...Have a great New Year
thanks paul,its been a tough project.i wanted to have it all bolted up today,but im fighting some fitment issues.the outer edges of the clam on the bottom side are hanging a bit low.so its making the splitter bottom sag down a bit.i will did deeper tomorrow.

on the exige side of things,i did a little test fitting on brads exige today.its looking like way more work than i thought.the bottom side of an exige clam has some funky shapes hanging down.its out on the edges ahead of the tires.it looks like i could make my bottom work on it.we will just need to make some templates to see for sure.what i cant figure out is how some of the other folks have bolted wood planks to the bottom of there cars?like aj and brent?they must have had to trim some parts of the clam off to do this.
post #103 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 07:36 PM

I cut off those pieces protruding down along w/ lots more of the underside of the clam on my 211/Exige splitters. Many heavily tracked Exiges will wear those protrusions off anyway and I try not to rely on the clam for any of the support to the slitter since our clams and the way they are mounted is so flimsy. Nice job on the Elise splitter.

post #104 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

thanks brent.i was thinking you must have cut those off.yea my main support is in the crash structure.the clam is bolted to the splitter to tie it in.otherwise my upper fit to the clam would be moving around.if i see any movement when i run the car.i will add some support rods from the crash structure.
post #105 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 09:52 PM
6i9

Kevin, have you got a solution to close the wheel well area in front of the tires on an Exige?

2005 Magnetic Blue Lotus Exige
Drivetrain: Honda K20A Type R | Innovative Kit | Arqray Ti | SCM Intake/Header | Hondata | proRAD | Setrab | KTuned | V2 Fuel Tank | BOE Swirl
Aero: Exige Clams | Reverie | TWRD GT | Craftsquare | IMRP | BSK | Voltex
Suspension: Penske SA | V2arms | RTDbrace | CE28N | R888 | BOE Floating | Pagid RS14
Interior: Recaro SPG | Willans | WorksBell | Sparco
post #106 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

are you asking about a tire flick?to defect the air away from entering the wheel well?i did have a look at that today.that looks easier on the exige.the idea i had was to make a new lip that would have the tire flick made onto it.then that lip would work with the bottom that i already have.also the outer shape of the exige splitter would be different.the exige has a constant curve where the elise does not.
post #107 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 11:14 PM
6i9

Would it look similar to this?

Drivetrain: Honda K20A Type R | Innovative Kit | Arqray Ti | SCM Intake/Header | Hondata | proRAD | Setrab | KTuned | V2 Fuel Tank | BOE Swirl
Suspension: Penske SA | V2arms | RTDbrace | CE28N | R888 | BOE Floating | Pagid RS14
post #108 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

yea,it would look similar to that.well mine would have a raised center.the tire flick portion would be similar anyway.
post #109 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 09:10 PM
6i9

Thats great news, I am anxious to see your Exige lip design. Hope it is also street friendly!

post #110 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 03:21 AM

If you make the Exige version with a full flat CF pan attached to it, I'll buy one. Reverie made it's original front splitter that way, but not the new version (like yours).

I have one of these Reverie splitters intsalled on my car, all you had to do was cut out a notch on both sides of the flat CF pan for the "bumps" on the fiberglass body panel (or you could shave off the bumps).
Attached Images

65 Elan S2 - Restored & For Sale
72 Europa- Restoration finished
69 Elan S4 - Restored & Sold
64 Elan S1 - Restored & Not for sale
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart - Sold
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car - Sold
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car - Wrecked at track
06 Elise - Track pack - Sold
post #111 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

yea,that could work.this would be easier to make.the only thing with this design is the tire flicks.for that.you would need a removable upper lip.
post #112 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 09:10 AM
6i9

That would be a cool design too, integrate the tire flicks into that splitter.

post #113 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Talking all bolted up

its finally time for the first test drive with the splitter.the car is warming up now.overall im pretty happy with the mounting.its really solid.i can press the the splitter in the center and compress the suspension.i will be rigging up a camera on the front of my car to show the airflow.ill report back after i have a feel for it.

Last edited by kmt63; 01-04-2011 at 09:38 PM.
post #114 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 04:47 PM

Garage

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #115 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

seat of the pants report.

the splitter has a really nice feel.i took the car out on a long back road.i got up to around 90 mph on a strait.i was able to take a high speed corner at around 75.it was dark but still pretty quick.it seams the faster you go.the more solid the car feels.before on this same corner.i could feel a bit of under steer.now its just plain solid.i felt like i could have taken this corner 30 mph faster.so i feel that the splitter is working well.my ride heights are 118mm front.125mm rear.with track pack shocks.i also have the big imrp rear diffuser to try.im going to drive it with the stock diffuser once more to get a better read on it.then ill switch it out for the imrp.

the ground clearance driving on the street seamed fine.i have a very uneven driveway with a hump in the middle.never touched.i also went by brads house.he has a steep entry onto his driveway.also no problem.i took it at a bit of an angle with brad spotting me.so overall im pretty thrilled with it.
post #116 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 06:46 PM

sounds really good!!

when will they ship to the "original 10"????

10 Porsche Cayman
post #117 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

well i will be producing them soon.im still waiting on some of my supplies to show up.they got hung up with some of the vendors being closed for the holidays.plus i wanted to work through the mounting and do a bit of testing before i sent splitters out.the only other thing im concerned with is weather the nomex will be as strong.this one im testing has a light wood core.so once the nomex shows up.i will make one out of it to compare the the difference.
post #118 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:37 PM

Nice work Kevin. Kevin is a REAL race car fabricator. Top notch stuff.

The new owner of RLS is Austin, you can contact him at: Austin0Barrett <<<< @ >>>> gmail <<<< dot >>>> com
post #119 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 AM

Kevin drove the car over last night and I saw the prototype on the car. It's AWESOME. The look is IMHO much better than anything currently offered. But, it's designed to be a very functional piece, not body jewelery. The raised section in the center serves a purpose for braking. Kevin tried to explain all the subtle nuances of this thing to me but the majority of that go's over my head. A real good friend of his is an Aerodynamic Engineer and has had a look at this piece during development. He was really impressed with it.

I wish it would go on my Exige. But as Kevin mentioned a few posts up, the difference on the bottom side of the Exige as opposed to the Elise, is great. It's absolutely not a "quick fix" to just start producing parts for the Exige. It would be another very difficult build process, basically starting from scratch. I think maybe building something like the Reverie, and adding tire splashes to that, may be more doable. Will have to see. I'll try and twist his arm... but I bet he's gonna be pretty busy with the Elise pieces for a while.

My camera was dead, so I couldn't get pictures last night. The prototype is obviously in fiberglass and light wood, but it's still a gorgeous piece. The fit to the contours of the car is great, and according to his Engineer friend, this should make the bottom of the car more functional as well.
post #120 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:56 AM

His motorsport engineer friend is the crew chief and preps some very serious race cars.

The new owner of RLS is Austin, you can contact him at: Austin0Barrett <<<< @ >>>> gmail <<<< dot >>>> com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in