nci full race splitter - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the kind words guys.the engineer friend who looked at it mounted up to the car yesterday was leo mathews.he worked in champ car back in the hay day.he is currently working for honda in irl.leo designed the west tunnel floor.its a full tunnel type floor for a sports racer.very similar to a swift atlantic.the project was also looked over by engineers at swift.so leos impressions of my splitter where very welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 05:18 AM

Keep up the great r&d!

Will

| 2005 Lotus Elise | Sport Pack | Biscuit Touring Pack | Storm Ti | BWR Supercharger | Elise: My process of adding exige side scoops (+ Front Mesh) |
post #123 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

airflow testing

had some dry weather today for a bit of testing.i rigged up a gopro to show the bottom and some of the upper lip.i placed 3 strips of tufts to show how attached the airflow is on the bottom center where it transitions back to the chassis flat bottom.you can also see the high pressure area on the top side of the splitter.the tufts kinda dance around.i have 1 more video i still need to edit.it shows the upper side pointed at the tire flick.i will have that one up soon.i hope the utube works.its my first one.

post #124 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:37 PM

You should shoot one with no splitter if possible, with the tufts in as close of the same location as you can manage.

2005 Saffron Yellow Elise (Sold)
post #125 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

topside

alright,ill try and do that when i remove the splitter.its going to be on for a bit though.here is the topside video.i was trying to capture the tire flick area.you can see it if you go full screen.im going to try and install the imrp diffuser today.i have a good feel for how the splitter is adding down force.so the larger rear diffuser will be interesting to try.today is the last dry day we will see here in the pacific northwest for over a week.so i will be logging some miles.

post #126 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 07:42 AM

To echo what others have already said, very nice work. Looks to be a great product

'07 Exige S

t-shirts
post #127 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:41 PM

i've read through this whole post, forgive me if i've missed something, but Kevin, is your splitter to be used in conjunction with a rear spoiler? seems that the df applied to the front is changed quite a bit..? are your working on a companion piece for the rear to work the downforce together?
post #128 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismccarthy View Post
i've read through this whole post, forgive me if i've missed something, but Kevin, is your splitter to be used in conjunction with a rear spoiler? seems that the df applied to the front is changed quite a bit..? are your working on a companion piece for the rear to work the downforce together?
I'm sure it would work better if it was in companion with a rear wing, but with a weight distribution of 39/61 (f/r) with a driver from the factory, it really helps even that out so the weight is centered more on the front tires and make the vehicle more planted than it otherwise would be. Just my 2 cents.
post #129 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:48 PM

Excellent, Kevin!

The new owner of RLS is Austin, you can contact him at: Austin0Barrett <<<< @ >>>> gmail <<<< dot >>>> com
post #130 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismccarthy View Post
thanks guys.

i was prepared to add a rear wing if i needed it.but after driving the car a few times.plus i added the big imrp diffuser today.the car just sticks like crazy.anything over 60 mph you can feel it working.the feel is very neutral too.today i was taking corners at 75 and the car was just stuck to the road.on slower speed corners under 40mph i could feel the back end step out a bit.those speeds are purely mechanical grip.at this point i feel you could run this setup without a wing and do pretty good on the track.maybe a Gurney flap on the rear clam would add just a bit more df without adding a bunch more drag.so now i have pushed it as hard as i can on the street.i need to get a splitter to one of the guys that runs a track regularly.then add the splitter to see there impressions.i look forward to hearing how other people like it.i will be starting production tomorrow.i finally have all my materials here.
post #131 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 03:07 PM

Garage
This has been needed so badly. I can't dial in my ARP wing much at all. More for looks (and drag!) as it stands (pun) now. You are going to be a busy fellow.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #132 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt63 View Post
you can also see the high pressure area on the top side of the splitter.
Actually, for that view, I didn't even need the tufts to see it working. I can see the lip flexing down slightly as you pick up speed, which is enough evidence for me! Not to mention the increased airflow to the radiator (the air that used to go under now goes up into the mouth.)

Fast in, fast out.
2013 Mini Cooper S, 2007 Honda Odyssey (the wife's), gone: 2006 Elise
post #133 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRTHTAKR View Post
This has been needed so badly. I can't dial in my ARP wing much at all. More for looks (and drag!) as it stands (pun) now. You are going to be a busy fellow.
so do you have to much rear grip?do you have a splitter on the front now?i feel that adding more front aero will be a big benefit.i will also be doing dive planes that will mount low.possibly on the tire flicks.these will be for tuning and slower speed tracks.i wont be able to get to these for a bit.i have a lot of orders to fill.
post #134 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Actually, for that view, I didn't even need the tufts to see it working. I can see the lip flexing down slightly as you pick up speed, which is enough evidence for me! Not to mention the increased airflow to the radiator (the air that used to go under now goes up into the mouth.)
yea there is just a bit of flex.you can see it pulling down slightly.i have a fix for that too.i added 2 threaded spacers between the crash structure and the splitter back about 10 inches.these are located just behind the plinth.so i will add one more just behind the plinth in the center.im pretty sure that will cure that slight movement.these spacers where needed to tie the clam into the crash structure.without them the clam is only attached at the headlights.so it would just lift up and down.your right.the airflow to the rad looks really good.the tufts get sucked right into it.
post #135 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt63 View Post
so do you have to much rear grip?do you have a splitter on the front now?i feel that adding more front aero will be a big benefit.i will also be doing dive planes that will mount low.possibly on the tire flicks.these will be for tuning and slower speed tracks.i wont be able to get to these for a bit.i have a lot of orders to fill.
Can you ever have too much grip? More a matter of balance. If much wing is applied, car is "tight" per the vernacular of NC. Current front aero is per Esta. I'm sure it is not as effective as is needed.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500

Last edited by XHILR8N!; 01-11-2011 at 08:18 PM.
post #136 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

yea,balance is key.you will need to add some front aero.that apr wing is capable of producing a good amount of df.its the one i have been eying for myself.
post #137 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:13 PM

any updates?
post #138 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

just building splitter parts.i have a splitter top in the oven right now.in a few days i will have the 2 e glass ones ready to ship.i need to place a large order for all the hardware that these will use.plus i need to write the install directions.so there is plenty to do but progress is being made.i also have the test splitter to offer someone.i need to email ztec to see if he wants it first.he is on top of the list.he was also going to do some track testing for me as well.this one has the light wood core.so its maybe 2 pounds heavier than the nomex splitters.

as for the carbon splitters.i have been doing the eglass ones first to get a feel for the layup.the upper part is very complex.so now i have a better idea of how to lay the carbon ones.these will get done next.
post #139 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 11:17 AM

YES!

so since I am 2nd on the list for the eglass one.....

when do you think it will ship Kevin?????? Inquiring minds want to know.

As for testing mine will see the track very soon after install. I am looking at 12 maybe 14 track days this year so I sure hope it proves to be a robust piece. The first is this weekend! but the splitter wont make it for that.

10 Porsche Cayman
post #140 of 505 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

well,if you where to take the wood core one.i could ship that one early next week.or if you wanted a nomex core splitter.that would be a few days longer.im laying up the bottom pieces for them now.then they will need to be trimmed and glued together.i will have the weight difference between the wood and the nomex in a day or two also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in