New Elise Scoop Design! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

New Elise Scoop Design!

Hey guys,

I have been working with Chuck Risen to come up with an all-in-one bracket + scoop + mesh design, and it's finally here! I went up to Chicago last night and he helped me install and get everything "perfect", as this was his first set of scoops and he didn't want to have any snags / scratches to the paint (body-matched to Chrome Orange).

I know a few people have been asking, and now there's FINALLY a cost effective option that people can use, with a trusted paint source. The whole set will cost $450 shipped, including newly designed - SUPER lightweight - fiberglass brackets + scoop (molded from an OEM Exige scoop, painted to your preference) + mesh, in a clean package. It took less than 1 hour to install everything, and that's with Chuck being picky to make sure the final product looked great! All hardware was provided by Chuck; mesh + hardware sourced from Lotus OEM.

There are 4 fiberglass "brackets" that will hold the scoop in place. They re-use the existing mounting positions and hardware from the "fins" and do not require ANY drilling to the body. They are molded from black resin, so the ones you get will likely be a little "cleaner" than mine, since we scratched them up slightly through the test-fitting process.

Assembly process:
1. Remove wheel / wheel arch liner
2. Remove 2 bolts from back of the "fin"
3. Install 3 of the 4 brackets, for the top 2 visible scoop screws, hand screw those in place to "hold" the scoop
4. Install the bottom bracket, hand screw the bottom scoop screw onto the scoop
5. Adjust as necessary - VOILA!

I am *NOT* making any money off of this; I was just tired of other designs that were >$800, not including paint / mesh and found someone (Chuck) to assist me. I would say the whole assembly, including scoops, may have totaled 7-8 lbs. It's unbelievably lightweight; I'll see if I can come up with an official weigh-in.

Below are some photos; ENJOY! Feel free to contact Chuck ("chuck_risen" or [email protected]) if you are interested, as the molds for all the pieces are already in place.
Attached Images

Last edited by cheungms; 09-03-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

There are 4 fiberglass "brackets" that will hold the scoop in place. They re-use the existing mounting positions from the "fins" and do not require ANY drilling to the body.

Here are some photos of the assembly process:
1. Remove wheel / wheel arch liner
2. Remove 2 bolts from back of the "fin"
3. Install 3 of the 4 brackets, for the top 2 visible scoop screws, hand screw those in place to "hold" the scoop
4. Install the bottom bracket, hand screw the bottom scoop screw onto the scoop
5. Adjust as necessary - VOILA!
Attached Images

Last edited by cheungms; 09-03-2010 at 06:03 AM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 06:00 AM

Nice!

Fast in, fast out.
2013 Mini Cooper S, 2007 Honda Odyssey (the wife's), gone: 2006 Elise

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

More.

Chuck's such a great guy, he even helped me apply plastic rejuvenation cream to the rest of my fins as well as fix some of the imperfections on the paint from scratches / etc. Good stuff!

Last edited by cheungms; 09-03-2010 at 06:12 AM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 06:10 AM

nice work
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 06:53 AM

Very nice! Would love to see a wider than stock Exige scoop too.

"Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound" - Clarkson

05 Mag Blue Elise
LTW Motorsports
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Nova View Post
Very nice! Would love to see a wider than stock Exige scoop too.
That was one of the issues that we ran into: do we mount a larger scoop and *possibly* have it not fit the existing weatherstripping, or do we start with a stock Exige scoop, mold it off, and make the product and maybe branch out from there? Clearly, the latter won, but it still looks great and much more aggressive / less maintenance than the fins.

Not sure if this is as exciting to everyone else as it is to me, but it's great to have a single-source for all of this (bracket, scoop, hardware, mesh, paint), plus have it in a reasonable price range. Another supplier quoted me $500 shipped for just the bracket & scoops, no paint or mesh.

BTW: just holding the scoop in my hand, it's approximately 60% of the weight of the Exige scoop that he created the mold from.

Now I just need to get to work on getting the rest of my fins / slats off the car

Last edited by cheungms; 09-03-2010 at 07:11 AM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 07:06 AM

Looks awesome Ming. Nice job Chuck!!! Might be contacting him soon about some ardent red versions. :-)
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 07:15 AM

Very nice work!

SOLD 2006 Elise British Racing Green

2017 Evora Sport 410
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 08:14 AM

Great job doing all the legwork on this! Looks real nice.

'06 Chrome Orange Elise
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheungms View Post
That was one of the issues that we ran into: do we mount a larger scoop and *possibly* have it not fit the existing weatherstripping, or do we start with a stock Exige scoop, mold it off, and make the product and maybe branch out from there? Clearly, the latter won, but it still looks great and much more aggressive / less maintenance than the fins.

Not sure if this is as exciting to everyone else as it is to me, but it's great to have a single-source for all of this (bracket, scoop, hardware, mesh, paint), plus have it in a reasonable price range. Another supplier quoted me $500 shipped for just the bracket & scoops, no paint or mesh.

BTW: just holding the scoop in my hand, it's approximately 60% of the weight of the Exige scoop that he created the mold from.

Now I just need to get to work on getting the rest of my fins / slats off the car
I think you did the right thing starting there, but I'm just hoping there's a wider version next.

The current offerings look very nice, well made and all, but I agree a simple cost effective solution is highly desirable.

"Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound" - Clarkson

05 Mag Blue Elise
LTW Motorsports
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:16 AM

I want. Time to contact chuck.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:26 AM

Garage
Would you sell the brackets by themselves?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Also they performed great during a torrential downpour here in Chicagoland last night; I couldn't drive any faster than 60mph on I-80 on the way home or else I started to skid a little.
After the rain was over I drove a little faster than the speed limit *ahem* to test the forces on the scoops. Everything is tight as can be. Paint is as pretty as ever, and I'm excited for some "picture time" with the car later
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 12:09 PM
alp
likes to drive fast

Looking good! So the mod is reversible w/o leaving any marks?

2009 Exige S260
2011 Evora [sold]
2005 Elise [sold]
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alp View Post
Looking good! So the mod is reversible w/o leaving any marks?
100%. I removed the fins and installed these scoops with nothing more than a socket wrench and Phillips screw driver. That was the reason Chuck came up with these brackets that are light + hidden. They "grip" the inside of the rear clam and are in tension through the screws + inside bolts. Props again to Chuck for making a great design!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 PM

Brilliant!!!
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 01:18 PM

Great work! Did you actually make a scoop that is taller and can cover the edge trim on the rear clam?

You must cover the scoops with starshield or equivalent. Chuck's great paint job on the leading edge of the scoop will be destroyed. Trust me, I've been through this with my own creative install.

Also, is there a source for a larger mesh. I have mesh on the front and sides of my car, but would like to find a nice large hex pattern (see lamborghini gallardo Lamborghini (5)) and Lamborghini (6). The thickness looks nice, as it obviously isn't chicken wire.

Will

| 2005 Lotus Elise | Sport Pack | Biscuit Touring Pack | Storm Ti | BWR Supercharger | Elise: My process of adding exige side scoops (+ Front Mesh) |
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Great work! Did you actually make a scoop that is taller and can cover the edge trim on the rear clam?

You must cover the scoops with starshield or equivalent. Chuck's great paint job on the leading edge of the scoop will be destroyed. Trust me, I've been through this with my own creative install.

Also, is there a source for a larger mesh. I have mesh on the front and sides of my car, but would like to find a nice large hex pattern (see lamborghini gallardo Lamborghini (5)) and Lamborghini (6). The thickness looks nice, as it obviously isn't chicken wire.
Yeah I would definitely agree, as there are definitely a few specks on the lower trailing edge from the drive back from Chicago (rough storm + gravel = not good). I have since taken them off, dabbed some touch-up paint on and covered them in chufforia's stuff, but it's definitely not the same I'll see how much it bothers me and maybe have them resprayed when I get some other stuff done.

I believe Chuck used the OEM mesh; interested to see if there are other options, though it may not match the rest of the mesh on the car. The Lambo's appears to be some type of plastic? Anyone confirm? Maybe someone at a dealership?
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 06:09 PM

i installed clear bra on the leading edge of the scoop.i also installed a 2 inch strip on the door and covered the tear drop portion of the body on the inside of the scoop.from what i read in wiskeys thread is the stones are drawn in from the air flowing down the side of the car.so they will also hit the door.i have the more open mesh grills in stock if anyone wants them.i havent looked into a bigger pattern yet.i believe my supplier has it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in