... the quest continues ... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

... the quest continues ...

Got the call to configure

Unfortunately Lotus is still not offering a shade of White AND there is still no word on what changes there will be to the next production year's color palette AND we haven't determined an appropriate alternative for Monaco White, so...

... I have dropped into the next ordering group

I am still hopeful that Lotus will tire of my Quixotic crusade and incessant pleading, and relent and offer a shade of white (perhaps replacing Aztec Bronze ),
OR perhaps bring back Ice Blue ,
OR add a new and incredibly exciting color option that we can't resist

Obviously I am hoping for the former

I think Lotus has done an excellent job providing a number of really fantastic color choices (Laser Blue and Chrome Orange come to mind). However, there is always room for improvement.

I thought that since actions speak louder than words, the only way I could have more impact than my white propaganda campaign, would be to demonstrate that color is actually an important part of many people's configuration decision and say I was willing to wait for it.

This may have no effect whatsoever but what the heck, if not me then who, if not now then when?

How about a White Christmas Lotus?

Larry

4 years and 1 months of ownership and FINALLY (almost) a supercharger... AFT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 12:32 AM
Supporting Vendor

Larry,

Good luck! You are a patient man....

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 05:37 AM

If they ever do release white for the US, they need to call it Bonham White in honor of your patience. Voluntarily waiting longer sounds certifiably insane to me.

Cade

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 06:31 AM

Hmm. There was a post on the color poll about a guy in the UK who special ordered his Elise with a custom DuPont Chromallusion color. Took like 4-5 months, but the factory did it, for some extra cost. I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for a Federal car. You should talk to your dealer, or LCUSA, to see how to get the factory to do a custom color for you. Better to be proactive, than sit and wait for a color that might not come. Though I agree it is silly Lotus doesn't offer a white in the US. While I wouldn't buy it myself, I'll bet a pearl white would look awesome (like on the old Esprits).

Chris
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 06:46 AM

why not just get a base paint red or yellow car and then repaint it? Or maybe you could convince them to send you the car unpainted?

-Steve
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 09:29 AM

"....a guy in the UK who special ordered his Elise with a custom DuPont Chromallusion color. Took like 4-5 months, but the factory did it, for some extra cost."

Lotus is not yet offering these custom factory options (that are availabe to euro costumers) for the federal Elise. maybe next year.

When i talked to them a few months ago trying to get them to throw on a set of the stock black wheels i was denied. they basically said "we are too busy just trying to get the federal cars out, maybe next year when we catch-up."
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 09:48 AM

wow. so the color is more important than the "ride" itself???

you are patient.

also, i wouldn't be surprised to see a price increase sometime next year.

here's hoping Lotus will listen to larry and offer up a shade of white!

have you decided what you'll do if lotus doesn't offer white next model year? will you pass up the elise altogether because of this???
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by offroadr35
why not just get a base paint red or yellow car and then repaint it? Or maybe you could convince them to send you the car unpainted?

-Steve
Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion.

That is one of my last recourse alternatives. I like the idea of having the perfect color choice (I could even do something that is completely unique), but it has been my past experience that after market painting is never quite as good as the factory's UNLESS you pay some really serious $$$ for the work And even then there are people potentially disassembling and reassembling parts of the vehicle who have never seen an Elise before.

ChrisStarrUSA,

I think because of the current backlog of Elise orders for the US, that Lotus is not as receptive as they have been in the past for custom paint orders. I am pretty sure this will change at some point in the future, but I have not received much of a positive response for going this path at this point in time.

Shinoo,

The timeline...

. 10/24/03 First saw latest generation of Elise on cover of my 1st issue of R&T subscription
. 10/25/03 Deposit placed at SVAG
. 10/26/03 Saw (and really liked) Laser Blue for first time
.. 2/05/04 Discovered what I thought was Laser Blue was really Ice Blue
.. 2/13/04 Saw picture of White Elise and became obsessed
.. 2/23/04 Began quest for White Elise
.. 3/24/04 Discovered what I thought was OEW was Monaco White
.. 3/25/04 Refined quest to be for Monaco White
.. 5/21/04 White Elise propaganda distributed to Lotus USA at 2004 WCLM
. 12/21/04 Got the call to order and placed request for Monaco White
. 12/22/04 Order rejected by Lotus, so asked to be moved down waiting list
. 12/23/04 Phase 2 of the wait/quest begins...

Larry

post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by raggedy1
wow. so the color is more important than the "ride" itself???
I want to have my cake and eat it too

Quote:

...have you decided what you'll do if lotus doesn't offer white next model year?
Not yet

Quote:

...will you pass up the elise altogether because of this???
I want an elise. It is the only car that "I" find beautiful, does a sub 5 second zero to 60, gets >30 mpg, handles absolutely phenomenally and is less than 50000 out the door configured (other than color) as I want it.

Larry

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 02:28 PM

So they can still make white Exiges but can't be buggered to paint yours the same colour??

Or is the Exige not available in white anymore either? I seem to recall someone on Seloc having his white Exige delivered quite recently...
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 03:08 PM

well let's remember that the Elise won't be getting 30mpg if we're trying to get sub 5 sec runs to 60mph!
HA!

I've actually been taking it easy with the throttle during my break-in period and I don't think I'm even getting 23mpg let alone 27-30mpg. I haven't even gone over 6K rpm and I'm getting poor mileage (relatively). Does 85mph cruising on the freeways with the top off degrade the mileage that much?!?

larry, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Has anyone tried getting a petition together. Would Lotus even listen???

I've heard Lotus reads this forum so let's let them hear us:

GIVE US WHITE
GIVE US WHITE
GIVE US WHITE
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by raggedy1
well let's remember that the Elise won't be getting 30mpg if we're trying to get sub 5 sec runs to 60mph!
HA!

I've actually been taking it easy with the throttle during my break-in period and I don't think I'm even getting 23mpg let alone 27-30mpg. I haven't even gone over 6K rpm and I'm getting poor mileage (relatively). Does 85mph cruising on the freeways with the top off degrade the mileage that much?!?

larry, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Has anyone tried getting a petition together. Would Lotus even listen???

I've heard Lotus reads this forum so let's let them hear us:

GIVE US WHITE
GIVE US WHITE
GIVE US WHITE
Thanks Raggedy!

Barney, I heard that the Olde English White (white variant offered in UK and Europe) has had fairly dismal sales numbers.

If the paint chip I saw of OEW is any indication, I can understand that. It matches almost exactly the color that is described as Bone in US paint shops. This particular shade may work for home interior walls, but really does not befit the Elise (imo).

So I am actually somewhat relieved they did not offer to provide me the OEW as an alternative to Monaco White, as it really would be a poor substitute.

HOWEVER, the US market really should have some flavor of White. It is an extremely practical color in areas such as Southern California and Arizona (where my wife's relatives live). When outside temperatures are 110 degrees plus, a white exterior and light interior (such as biscuit) are very nice features

Larry

post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 05:42 PM

I expect from Lotus' point of view, if they allow one person to customer order a colour (albeit one that they already have to paint European cars), then they have to allow everyone. BUT... I still don't see why all countries aren't offered the same colours, esp. since they are built in the same factory. I also think it may have been an oversight to not offer white for the US since it is the most popular car colour here, whereas in Europe (or the UK at least) white is very rare and associated with delivery vans, police cars, cheapo rental cars, etc. I hate bright white on cars, but the creamy Old English White on the Elise is lovely, like a classic MGA/B, Jag, Austin Healey type colour. Esp. with a nice big racing green stripe (or two) down the middle.

Last edited by girlracer; 12-23-2004 at 05:45 PM.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 06:00 PM

it just amazes me that there are, what, 14 colors available and not ONE is WHITE!

I applaud Lotus for offering as many colors as they do, but I don't think it's asking too much for WHITE to be an option.

At least we're not stuck with 3 colors like the 1st year Miata. Didn't they only have red, white and blue to choose from???
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 06:44 PM

I personally don't think that white works very well for this car, judging from the pictures of white Exiges. But still, they offer countless colors, two of them are downright nasty, and some so similar that they're redundant. Considering how popular white cars are in general, I don't understand why it's not available.
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 06:56 PM

There was some dude at the LA Auto show in January that was all up in the Lotus booth, in their face about not having a White color available. It was a little creepy.. as soon as he left, all the Lotus folks kindof sighed and the other people chuckled.

"White? Why?"

But then, they did make Aztec Bronze.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by girlracer
I expect from Lotus' point of view, if they allow one person to customer order a colour (albeit one that they already have to paint European cars), then they have to allow everyone. BUT... I still don't see why all countries aren't offered the same colours, esp. since they are built in the same factory. I also think it may have been an oversight to not offer white for the US since it is the most popular car colour here, whereas in Europe (or the UK at least) white is very rare and associated with delivery vans, police cars, cheapo rental cars, etc. I hate bright white on cars, but the creamy Old English White on the Elise is lovely, like a classic MGA/B, Jag, Austin Healey type colour. Esp. with a nice big racing green stripe (or two) down the middle.
Racergirl,

It is great to hear such kind words about OEW. It has been damned by faint praise. The "nicest" thing I had heard previously from someone who had seen the color on the Elise was "it's not bad".

I still have only seen a paint chip in person, so I am not a fair judge. However, all the photos of a white variant that I have really liked have been identified by a Lotus rep as Monaco White.

But I confess I fall into the category of people that "do" like bright white on "sports cars".

I definitely agree that the two racing green stripes make the car look stunning (regardless of shade of white)

And I must acknowledge your excellent taste in "your" choice, as the Racing Green with Biscuit interior (which I saw at the LA auto show) is indeed a great combination.

Larry

post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ground Loop
There was some dude at the LA Auto show in January that was all up in the Lotus booth, in their face about not having a White color available. It was a little creepy.. as soon as he left, all the Lotus folks kindof sighed and the other people chuckled.

"White? Why?"

But then, they did make Aztec Bronze.
Wow! And it wasn't me, I swear! Though I was at the show, I was too busy taking pictures and drooling over the cars, from my first chance to see the car in the flesh, to do much else

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 07:54 PM

Purely speculation by me, but I would think there would be more demand for an Arctic/Monaco White or Pearl White in the US than there is for Aztek Bronze or Aubergine Purple. Nothing wrong with those colors, but I just think white would likely outsell them here.

Besides, if Lotus is already making ROW cars in white, I don't get the big deal of offering white here.

Chris
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 09:00 PM

i think lotus just missed the mark with aztec bronze. if it was closer to the volvo, miata or 350Z "copper" or whatever they call their orange-like car I think it would have been more successful.

when i first heard aztec bronze i was intrigued since i've always liked the new copper colors of today's cars. then i saw aztec bronze in the color chart and almost hurled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in