Quieter Elise - Page 16 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 314 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus F1 View Post
I'm surprised at how many would are ok adding weight to the car when so much is done to reduce it.
Different horses for different courses. I use mine as a commuter car for more than an hour each day, so smoothing out some of the rough edges of the elise is definitely worth it for me. I could easily get a more comfortable, quiet car for the commute, but I doubt I could get a car that makes me smile more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 314 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 05:43 PM

I think you may have misunderstood... I am surprised how many on here want to add weight. Not that I disagree with the notion. I was just surprised. I have a sub-woofer and went from light CF seats back to heavier Probax seats. Both added weight. Nothing wrong with a few pounds to make the car more enjoyable.
post #303 of 314 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 08:30 PM

for most people, spending all their money to reduce a few lbs of weight with blingy CF parts really doesn't make a whole lot of difference other then posing factor.

Adding a few lbs of sound insulation makes a huge difference in some people's enjoyment driving around normal roads. Esp when you are doing a weekend drive with your significant other who may not appreciate hearing every rattle and exhaust drone. I doubt even the Stig can't feel the difference in handling on the track with the few lbs added. If one really feel the need to remove weight, go take a dump before you go drive and maybe eat a few less burgers.

Phantom Black 2007 Exige Kold Fire, Tesla double din dash.
Black 01' Mustang Cobra 'Vert ("some" modifications) daily driver

post #304 of 314 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 08:40 PM

Quieter Elise

My Elise noise level definitely is in the loud side. But it is part of my driving experience. Depending on my mood, sometimes I enjoy it and other times it gives me a headache.

For a temporary noise relief I keep a couple of disposable earplugs and I've also tried noise canceling headphones.

For those that have done sound deadening solutions, have you regret doing it so?

Currently running sector111's track pipes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2006 Exige (SC Koldfire 270)
2005 Elise Katana SC (SOLD)

Last edited by rsamani; 01-27-2015 at 08:52 PM.
post #305 of 314 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 08:57 PM

at least for me, there is really no downside. As long as you only apply it to strategic areas, it just takes out that tin can feel out of driving the car. You can still hear the induction noise and exhaust plenty, just less of the road noise.

Phantom Black 2007 Exige Kold Fire, Tesla double din dash.
Black 01' Mustang Cobra 'Vert ("some" modifications) daily driver
post #306 of 314 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 09:32 AM

I agree. The road noise is what I found tiring (ha!) and the crashing sound going over minor potholes and lane divider dots. I don't regret it the sound deadening for a minute, just makes the car more enjoyable.

It is amazing what a little dynamat on the access panel and MLV under the seats can do to the feel of the car. Should have come from the factory like that IMHO.
post #307 of 314 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 12:11 PM
nak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus F1 View Post
I'm surprised at how many would are ok adding weight to the car when so much is done to reduce it.
Good point. Those harness bars, fire extinguishers, data loggers, cameras, wings and such add up after a while.
post #308 of 314 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 03:59 PM

Updates?

Folks, any updates... improvements? Is it worth doing the inner wheel wells or doors. Any other finds sealing off leaks, noises and rattles?

2007 Exige S, Chili Red, RE-11s, Gotham Tune, 2Bular Header/130mm Cat, 2Bular Hammer Head Muffler, Airbox Mod, K&N Filter, Cobra Antenna Mod, Shifter Reinforcement Mod, Multivex Mirrors, Visor Delete... High Performance Ultralight Wallet
post #309 of 314 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 04:39 PM

I recently put the deamplifier under the seats, against the firewall and a few scattered pieces on the gas tank area.... thing. Also placed luxury liner under the seats and the place under the shelf.

Just that addition made a significant difference in the resonance, road noise and chaos in the cab. It didn't necessarily help with the droning exhaust noises but having a VF supercharger, decat and exhaust, I think that just comes with the territory. Even though the exhaust noise wasn't eliminated, I feel like it did help. Instead of straining to have a convo at 60mph, I can talk at a normal level and be heard.

I unfortunately haven't gotten to do the diffuser and under tray of the car yet. I have the material, just lacking the motivation

The additions I made reduced the noise orgy in the cab and helped with the clangy, tin can noise of the car going over bumps, and I suspect doing the under tray and diffuser will even further improve the feel of the car.

Overall a worthwhile improvement. A lot of work, but worth it.
post #310 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 04:30 PM

interesting thread. thank you all for sharing your knowledge. I decided to contribute my 2 cents.
I've found my exige S to be too noisy. and not the good kind of noisy. but the rattling/poor quality/metal box in a washing machine noisy. and I've decided to see whether I can reduce some of the noise down.

I've used Decibel 10th app for iphone to measure sound level before the modifications, and after.

here's what I've found:
- i have installed vibration damper (second skin - damplifier pro) and noise barrier under the seats (second skin - luxury liner pro), and on part of the firewall.
zero changes in Decible 10th app. used the same road, same driving conditions, same hour of the day. (its the route I take every morning).

next, I went after the belly pan and door skins.
I have installed damplifier pro, luxury liner pro, and foamly wall panels inside the door skins.
I've used damplifier pro, and mat spray on the belly pan.

Decible 10th show decrease from 100db to 92db.

the car feels way more civilized. the rattling noise is gone. you can hear mostly the exhaust, some engine noise, and wind noise on highway speeds.
it was also clearly noticeably by my family whenever I call them while driving, they can finally hear me clearly.

color me impressed.

products used:
-second skin - damplifier pro - VIBRATION DAMPERS - CLD - Damplifier Pro? - Second Skin Audio
-second skin - luxury liner pro - Luxury car quiet with our noise insulation products Luxury Liner? Luxury Liner Pro? | Second Skin Audio, Made in the USA.
- Design Engineering boom mat spray -

- Foamly - Acoustic Foam Sound Absorption Pyramid Studio Treatment Wall Panels -

post #311 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 05:41 PM

100dB is deafening - I'd not take that app's results too seriously

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #312 of 314 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 07:23 PM

I purchased an elise that had dynamat (or something similar) installed. That and carpet/alcantara. Before I purchased the car I'd thought of it as a drawback and had planned on removing it. After I drove it, I really liked it. I doubt it adds more than 20lbs and it's quieter than my gen 1 miata. Still quick.
Attached Images

post #313 of 314 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:06 PM

Rubber damper to reduce exhaust drone!
Anyone ever tried exhaust vibration reduction?
post #314 of 314 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:14 AM

I have added sound deadening mat where metal meets metal
Two different, one noico. The other siless, looks like it is no longer made. Think the siless was much cheaper at the time?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in