Well, over the weekend I figured it was time to address the side gap areas next to the firewall.
1 sheet 1" x 2 ft x 8ft insulation foam from home depot ($5.35)
1 bottle gorilla glue
1 bag of polyester fill from Jo Ann's fabric
I tried to install the foam as 2 big pieces (one top piece and one that went into the swoop thing), but was unable to because I couldn't get the piece in place. So I cut them in half and installed in 4 strip blocks. After installing, I stuffed as tight as I could the batting behind, which keeps the pieces in place solidly. Once done, place the LLP overtop...I have not been out driving yet, since the interior is still in pieces...but this should thoroughly isolate these areas...The foam and batting is neglible weight.
To estimate the shape of the swoop for the foam you can rough sketch the arch from the outside of the car using since you can see the outside curve of the swoop.
With the gorilla glue, it works better if you mix the glue with a little water, maybe like 1 part h20 to 2-3 parts glue and then apply. The instructions on the bottle say to wet the pieces before applying the glue, however the foam will not hold water and the bottom seam you can see that the glue did not expand like it is suppose to; it should ooze out of the seams and expand as it dries. For the upper joints I did the water glue mix before applying and you can see how it oozed out like it is suppose to, this fills the cracks better and probably makes a stronger bond too.
The first 2 attached pictures are with the bottom half completed before the top half foam was added...You can see the batting behind the foam. There is a foam brace piece in the photo that was removed. This was simply to keep the pieced aligned while the glue dried since the batting pushes the pieces forward.
EDIT: Picture of LLP in place over foam added. Photo was taken before piece was glued into place.
2009 Saffron Yellow Elise Purist Edition - Unpurified (oem cupholder, leather tunnel cover, and black door panels), Difflow 5 element railer JR, Janspeed Stage II Exhaust, ongoing sound proofing project, kahtec blinking 3rd brake light.
Last edited by psoup; 01-18-2011 at 06:46 PM.