Replacing carpet for aluminum - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ericthered
  • 1 Post By ericthered

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Replacing carpet for aluminum

Hey All,
Tried my hands on a new project this weekend. Thought I would share the progress.

Been looking for a different type of floor covering for the Exige, but didn't want to go the direction of rubber or carpet. Truth be told I'm kinda in love with the Williams Singer Porsche, but it's going to take me an entire lifetime to fill the wallet with the cash needed to have that.
So I thought I would take some elements I liked and start playing with some ideas.

I really loved the die cut and dimple died look of the interior and floors, so I bought some tools and tried to have a go. Below are the steps sop far. This will be an evolving project, and I'm going to make a bunch of different versions to test and play with. Maybe in the future I may also just make these on the side for people, who knows. Throw me your thoughts and suggestions.

First step was to make the pattern, pretty simple just made out of cardboard and then transferred to .50 Aluminum. Bought the materials local from Bayshore Metals in SF. Cut out the metal with a cheap old bandsaw with a metal blade, and then a belt sander.

Next was the layout for the Dimple Die holes. Bought the dimple dies from Eastwoods, and they have held up well. Normally this would be easier for a press, but I like the bolt/cut options that are manual because it allows me to get into tight spaces.

For the edge of the panel I bead rolled it so it allows the floor to lay flat on the main floor. When you dimple the holed it need about .25 depth below the panel. Then I drilled the holes for the mounting points and added a small amount of (dime side) dab of sound deadening at the front area to keep the panel flat and vibration free.
Attached Images

shay2nak likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Here are a few pictures of the floors in the car. They bolt right up, but you can see the sound deadening through the holes.
Before I trim out the sound material I'm going to keep messing with the design, and pattern till I find the look I want. Also the drivers side is not the same pattern as the passenger side. I added more dimples to the passenger first, going to go back and add to the drivers.

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions, or just straight up hate on it...I'm an adult! Lol!
Attached Images

shay2nak likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:35 PM

Interesting!! I kinda like it in a weird way.

Stay Tuned.....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:27 AM

Maybe it would look better in silver? To match the interior aluminum. I donít know. I kinda like it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:31 AM

I like the concept. I prefer the drivers side pattern more than the passenger side with its diagonal layout.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Was thinking also now that I'm driving on it that I like the vertical holes more, it's less busy to me. I like the look because it's in matching with the already dimple died holes, but there is just something missing I have not hit on yet.

Need to keep playing with it, more ideas let me know.

Here is a version in silver powder coated aluminum I also tried.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in