Seat Rebuild with Kemmler Air2Gel Foam - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 02:09 AM
Probably Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian 111
originally posted by coulthard fan:

Scott, you are correct. I was looking at the sizes only, not the HD/color in Keeper's post.

Not HD; tan 3/8, white 1/8 as in my pictures. My butt found the standard foam (just right) to be superior to the HD (too hard).
Brian,

According to Kemmler tan is HD and white isn't. I can make a note in my post that clarifies what you used, but right now it still isn't very clear to me.

-Shawn (2005 Elise) || New England Members of Lotus Ltd. (NEMOLL) - PM me to join local info list or NEMOLL || UberPost - Elise/Exige info: common problems/fixes, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 02:10 AM
Probably Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulthard fan
OK, I'm confused. I thought Brian got the non-HD 1/8" Shocktec Air2Gel (White)???
I'll clarify the post as soon as I get some more information. What I've posted is what most people are using, at least according to Kemmler.

-Shawn (2005 Elise) || New England Members of Lotus Ltd. (NEMOLL) - PM me to join local info list or NEMOLL || UberPost - Elise/Exige info: common problems/fixes, etc.
post #43 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 05:42 AM

Air2Gel foam

Shawn, did you do this already? I would like to see & feel it on your car. I'm taking the Elise on a 10 hr ride to Virginia in May.

I remember when I took the Esprit to Atlanta a couple of years ago how comfortable it actually was and I was worried about how the Elise seats would hold up.

Bruce

post #44 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Probably Lurking

I have the material (HD) and will be done probably within a couple weeks.

post #45 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

originally posted by Keeper:
Quote:
According to Kemmler tan is HD and white isn't. I can make a note in my post that clarifies what you used, but right now it still isn't very clear to me.
I spoke to Kemmler and found this to be correct. HD=tan; regular=White

I thought that I was just brain-dead, but they looked up my invoices and found that originally I got HD in both thicknesses, and then got the sheet of regular foam in the 1/8". After spending 20-30 minutes a couple of times on the phone with them, I just used whatever showed up in the boxes.
post #46 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
The impact resistance of the 3/8" foam makes the car seem like it is smoother on bad pavement, and the 1/8" layers make a night-and-day difference- the seats almost seem cushy compared to the way they came.
I like that the foam makes the car smoother on bad roads.

How does it feel on the track? Does the foam reduce/dampen the feedback you would receive from the seats? Does it isolate you in any way from what the car is doing on the track?

I am considering getting this foam but making a seat cushion out of it (for my girlfriend).

*** Feb 03, 2005 Lotus Elise - Nightfall Blue, Starshield, Clear Shield, CG Lock, RTD Brace, microMirror, Pagid RS-14 pads, air horn, Green filter, ULTRAdisc fronts, Nitron Singles, Multivex (not yet installed) ***
*** 2010 Ducati 848 ***
*** 2000 Honda VFR800 ***
*** 2006 Porsche Cayman S (wife's car) ***
post #47 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

originally posted by Keith:
Quote:
How does it feel on the track? Does the foam reduce/dampen the feedback you would receive from the seats? Does it isolate you in any way from what the car is doing on the track?
Not in my experience. The way my seats are now, they feel like they contact much more of my back, seat, and sides then they did when stock. I know that it's somewhat an illusion, but having poorly or unsupported areas now in firm contact with the seat give me the feeling that seat-of-the-pants feedback is much better. Also, I'm able to keep my focus on finding the limits of the car (or my own) since I'm not being interrupted by the fact that my back is killing me, or that by butt has fallen asleep.
post #48 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I know that it's somewhat an illusion, but having poorly or unsupported areas now in firm contact with the seat give me the feeling that seat-of-the-pants feedback is much better.
I agree with that ... the better in contact with the seat the better the feedback.

That brings me to another question:
Can this foam be added to the sides of the seat?

I am 5-8", 135lbs - so I need more lateral support from the hips up to the armpit area. When on track, I use a CG-Lock and rolled towels near the hips to hold me in place. Have also considered saving up for a narrow race seat.

*** Feb 03, 2005 Lotus Elise - Nightfall Blue, Starshield, Clear Shield, CG Lock, RTD Brace, microMirror, Pagid RS-14 pads, air horn, Green filter, ULTRAdisc fronts, Nitron Singles, Multivex (not yet installed) ***
*** 2010 Ducati 848 ***
post #49 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

originally posted by Keith:
Quote:
Can this foam be added to the sides of the seat?
No Problem. You'll need to peel the leather on the bolsters back to expose much more of the shell then if you were just flipping the bladders, but it may be easier to glue it back together since the foam will apply pressure outward, making the chance of wrinkles less. I'd suggest cutting a template of the area where your sides want more support and start by making uniform layers to stick under the leather. After that, it's just taking your time to find the right combination of padding and size.
post #50 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:56 AM
Probably Lurking

Quote:
I spoke to Kemmler and found this to be correct. HD=tan; regular=White

I thought that I was just brain-dead, but they looked up my invoices and found that originally I got HD in both thicknesses, and then got the sheet of regular foam in the 1/8". After spending 20-30 minutes a couple of times on the phone with them, I just used whatever showed up in the boxes.
Thanks for checking into it.

post #51 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 04:38 PM

Thanks for that advice Brian!

*** 2010 Ducati 848 ***
post #52 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 09:09 PM

I wish I had your skill, my ass is killing me
post #53 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Probably Lurking

This mod is a lot easier than it looks. I had my seats out of the car. Not counting the time to measure and cut the material the way I wanted it, it took about an hour for each seat. I kept my material pattern very simple, cut it with scissors, and held it all in place with duct/carpet tape.

post #54 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper
This mod is a lot easier than it looks. I had my seats out of the car. Not counting the time to measure and cut the material the way I wanted it, it took about an hour for each seat. I kept my material pattern very simple, cut it with scissors, and held it all in place with duct/carpet tape.
Yep! The center section of the seat is all that I felt necessary to pad. It was the white 3/8" material.

When they send you the piece it's cut a bit over 5 ft. wide. We were sent a 4 x 5 foot piece...way too much for our needs.

All that was really necessary (for the center section IMO) was a 10 1/2" cut that goes the full 5 ft. *To clarify, the 4 ft. = 48" so cutting 10 1/2" from it left 37 1/2" x 60".

I sent back a piece that was a bit over 60" x 37 1/2". There was enough material left for SIX more seats, padding only the center section. 10 1/2 x 10.5 = 31.5" with 6" leftover from the 37.5" section.

I cut the 5 ft. section in half. The 30" pieces were enough to do the center section of TWO seats. Each half fits the center section of the seat perfectly. *10 1/2" x 30" for each seat.

The seating is fantastic! Major improvement!
post #55 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 07:04 PM

Just placed my order. I thought I would give it a try.

Do you have to remove the seats?

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
post #56 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 01:52 AM

I took the seats out, not knowing what to expect. Glad I did, I think it would have been awkward to do it with them in the car. But, I imagine someone has done it.
post #57 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 07:56 PM

If anyone wants to split an order with me or has some leftover from a previous order they want to sell, let me know.

Scott
Red 2005 "Elige S" rally and road course monster
http://racing.tax-whistleblower.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/ScottKnott/featured
post #58 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulthard fan
If anyone wants to split an order with me or has some leftover from a previous order they want to sell, let me know.
bump due to the overwhelming sound of crickets chirping after my offer to split a foam order with someone.

Scott
Red 2005 "Elige S" rally and road course monster
http://racing.tax-whistleblower.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/ScottKnott/featured
post #59 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 01:18 PM

Sure Scott, I'll split an order with you. You gonna order enough for four seats? Is that the plan? I've wanted to do this and have not, so this might spur the lazy out of my a$$.
post #60 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 05:30 PM

I used the 3/8" regular density Air2Gel, and then put a 1" layer of regular foam (from JoAnn Fabrics) over the Air2Gel. The seats are much, much better. I can still feel every pavement variation, but my tailbone is much happier.

Note: I also purchased some 1/8" HD Air2Gel, but did not use it. Overall, both types of Air2Gel were much firmer than I expected.

'05 SY Elise LSS/Touring/HT/Quicksilver, '03 Audi A4 1.8Tqm Avant, '95 Porsche 993 C2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in