Seat Rebuild with Kemmler Air2Gel Foam - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esthi
I used the 3/8" regular density Air2Gel, and then put a 1" layer of regular foam (from JoAnn Fabrics) over the Air2Gel. The seats are much, much better. I can still feel every pavement variation, but my tailbone is much happier.

Note: I also purchased some 1/8" HD Air2Gel, but did not use it. Overall, both types of Air2Gel were much firmer than I expected.
I have to disagree with my wife a bit here. I think the Air2Gel is definitely too firm. It's basically identical to the kitchen comfort/cushion mats that we bought at Wal-Mart for $8 each, except the Air2Gel (regular density 3/8") is a wee bit softer. If it were about 30% softer I think it would be great material.

1995 993 C2, speed yellow. PSS9, TRG sways, RSRs, HIDs, Big Red brakes, seats/6-pts, Speedline Alesio wheels, Ruf aux oil cooler, RS parts, DL-1 data logger.
2005 Elise, saffron yellow. 6-pts, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I have to disagree with my wife a bit here. I think the Air2Gel is definitely too firm. It's basically identical to the kitchen comfort/cushion mats that we bought at Wal-Mart for $8 each, except the Air2Gel (regular density 3/8") is a wee bit softer. If it were about 30% softer I think it would be great material.
+1 I had to fall back on a 3/4" high density foam (kneeling pad) for the seat bottom.

A day without Elise is a day without Love.
post #63 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 01:50 PM

Resue Old Foam

Can anyone that has done this mod tell me if the original foam that was under the seat pad is reused? Or do you just toss it and use the new stuff? The 2 pieces I'm wondering about are shown in the attached picture.
Attached Images

post #64 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

I did not have those pieces of foam on my '05. I'm guessing that you have Probax seats.

BTW, before rebuilding mine with Kemmler's foam, I tried Tempur foam and that foam used in kneeling pads. The Tempur compresses and molds to you, but doesn't have energy absorbing propertied. Tha kneeling pad foam worked much better, but it broke down and became soft after a few months. Your results may vary.
post #65 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 09:41 PM

Hi Brian -
I'm pretty sure they're not Probax as it's an early 2005 model and the seats have the bladders. From your first post in this thread you mentioned:
"The bottom cushion had foam that was easy to rip up when separated from the seat, so I used a utility knife to slice it away from the seat shell, almost like scraping a sticker off of the inside of a windshield. I covered the foam with duct tape to keep it from disintegrating (just separating it from the seat made a huge mess) and to give me a stable surface to reattach it to the seat base with tape or glue."
I thought that the blue foam shown in my picture was the one you were talking about but I wasn't sure if you ended up reusing it or not since it sounded like it fell apart on you. The foam on mine came out fairly intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian 111 View Post
I did not have those pieces of foam on my '05. I'm guessing that you have Probax seats.
post #66 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Domino-

My car was built 5/05, and those pieces of foam were bonded firmly to the seat leather, which was wrapped around the foam. I didn't recognize it, but when I took a peek at my car the foam in your picture looked familiar.

If I were you, I'd reuse it, unless you want to totally re-contour the front half of the seat bottom.

So, what is the leather supported by on your car?
post #67 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 05:33 AM
Probably Lurking

I used duct tape to resecure that piece of foam to the leather insert. IIRC, the duct also made it easy to use that area for carpet tape if I needed it.

-Shawn (2005 Elise) || New England Members of Lotus Ltd. (NEMOLL) - PM me to join local info list or NEMOLL || UberPost - Elise/Exige info: common problems/fixes, etc.
post #68 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

That's exactly what I did, but mine was already attached to the leather, which wrapped around the foam 2" on either side.
post #69 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 AM

Hi Brian -
I think I'll re-use as I don't want to re-contour it. The leather seat insert is supported by that blue foam in the picture, but it wasn't firmly bonded. The seat insert came right off of the blue foam when I pulled on it. It stuck pretty well to the seat shell and in the picture you can see the residue there. The thin piece of white foam (also shown in the picture) was under the blue foam but on top of the metal bar.

What wasn't obvious from your original pictures and description was that the 2 pieces of foam that I show were stuck to the bottom of your leather seat pad. Thanks for clarifying.

BTW... I'm installing seat heaters while I'm at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian 111 View Post
If I were you, I'd reuse it, unless you want to totally re-contour the front half of the seat bottom.

So, what is the leather supported by on your car?
post #70 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 10:30 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
I found that the blue foam peeled, separated and was generally a pain in the arse. I used blue painter tape to hold it all together when I reassembled the seat. I have the base cloth seats though.

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1676lbs.
post #71 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 06:00 PM

I ordered the 1/8 Air2Gel HD and the 3/8 AirGel regular. Looking forward to doing this mod.
post #72 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 07:03 AM

Just ordered the gell also. I can't find a decent seat that will work for tall people. Tom at shock tec was extremly helpfull. I will post pics when I install it.

Triumph Tr4a Race Car 1967 SOLD
1954 CJ 3b Willys
2006 Exige. The only man in america to have a exige s then go back to a NA exige sold
1967 911S 1900lbs 220hp
2008 bmw m3 daily driver with straight pipes!
post #73 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 07:37 AM

Does anyone know if this foam is like the stuff in Corbin mororcycle seats
post #74 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCARGUY View Post
Just ordered the gell also. I can't find a decent seat that will work for tall people. Tom at shock tec was extremly helpfull. I will post pics when I install it.
Have you tried searching for "tall person's seat"?

Thanks,

Joe
post #75 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:44 AM

Just a bump in the road.

Laser blue,biscuit, micro mirror, "Blue knob" ,HID lights,Euro LED rear lights,LED headlight rings,rear badge,blue starter button, replaced speakers,perma grin,
Club111 The Sith lord of the LB's loyal henchman
post #76 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
BTW... I'm installing seat heaters while I'm at it.

More details about these please.
post #77 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 10:13 AM

About to tackle this mod, and wanted to know from those who have done it:
did the standard Air2Gel (non-HD) break down?
Is the HD still hard or has that given a little bit?
Just trying to build off of others' experiences
post #78 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 11:01 AM

I did this mod about 3000 miles ago with both the HD and standard gel. To me it has not broken down one bit. A worthwhile improvement.

2005 Elise Burgundy. Touring Pack, Twin Oil Coolers, Larini SE Exhaust, TRD Cup Airbox, LETSLA, BWR Bar, Team Dynamic 1.2 with Toyo R1R.
post #79 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregbj8 View Post
I did this mod about 3000 miles ago with both the HD and standard gel. To me it has not broken down one bit. A worthwhile improvement.
HD with the 3/8" and standard with the 1/8"? Just want to make sure before I make the order
post #80 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 01:43 PM

I used the Air2Gel HD 3/8" as the base and then overlaid the 1/8" foam in areas I wanted to build up. I did order the 3/8" Air2Gel for this purpose but it was thick for that purpose IMO.

2005 Elise Burgundy. Touring Pack, Twin Oil Coolers, Larini SE Exhaust, TRD Cup Airbox, LETSLA, BWR Bar, Team Dynamic 1.2 with Toyo R1R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in