Sticky plastic interior pieces - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Sticky plastic interior pieces

Back when I had my Lotus, some of the surface finish on the dash vents were starting to get "sticky" and there were small scrapes, smear marks or finger prints that could not be removed. Any attempt exacerbated the issue. I am OCD about my cars, and this drove me nuts.

One of the things I've learned from the Italian car crew is that this wasn't just a Lotus thing, it was nearly every European exotic make that suffered from this. One of the Fchat members brought this up and had found a solution. Thought I'd share this tidbit in case anyone else has experienced the same. Instead of replacing the interior parts or painting them, this gives an OEM look. Doesn't appear that any Lotus owners have stumbled across this yet, as Lotus isn't listed in their selection. But I'm guessing they wouldn't have any issues working on them.

www.stickynomore.com

You have to remove and send parts in. But turn around is a couple weeks. Not crazy long and the Ferrari owners on fchat are happy with the quality of the work.

'17 Lamborghini Huracan Spyder, Grigio Titans (matte grey)

Previous: '07 Exige S, Laser Blue
'13 McLaren MP4-12C, Azure Blue
'16 Lamborghini Aventador Roadster, Nero Pegaso (black)

Last edited by Pandora; 03-20-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:08 AM
Closer than you think

Garage
Some cars, or even plastic parts batches within the same car, seem to be more vulnerable to this problem. For instance, there are multiple owner reports of Elise/Exige owners who have sticky air bag rings. Others like me have never had the problem.

I think it's a combination of prolonged exposure to sunlight, heat, and the wrong selection of cleaning and detailing materials that contributes to break-down of the plastic surface.

Knowing that the airbag ring is so vulnerable I will only clean my steering wheel with a diluted solution of mild soap and water. When I do use detailing solutions inside the cockpit I only use products made for that application.

I don't have any scientific methods to prove my theory (owning just one Lotus) but it makes some sense to me.

2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:04 PM

Garage
I had the sticky airbag cover on both of my Elise and used Denatured Alcohol to remove ALL the residue in about 1 minute each. I was afraid to try it but figured what the heck, I will do something else if they don't clean up. I was amazed. Now I just need to know what others are using on the airbag after it is clean. My thoughts are to do nothing and clean with Alcohol again if it gets sticky. I also used a CF wrap on the ring around the airbag since the silver paint was scratched and rubbed thin in places. Came out looking pretty nice.
Attached Images

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in