Wing Mirror design of the Exige and Elise - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
UK Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardNHCooper View Post
These are from DeRoure and they do give you better vision being about 3/4" wider.
My only gripe with those mounts are that they are too long for the S2 body type unless you have a GT3 kit in place.

At this point I am leaning toward building something similar to the 3Eleven type mirrors with default mount positions. A plug n play solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
UK Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by branzzz View Post
the magical racing mirrors come out very nicely. a little pagani-esque.

picture is right after mounting. the unsightly extra surface has been covered by black vinyl since.

Would there be any interest in a mounting plate for those already using motorbike mirrors?
post #23 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 08:50 AM

I am subscribing to this topic just to see where it goes.

I currently have the regular Elise wing mirrors on V6 plinths. Looks fantastic however just like the original style it generates quite a bit of wind noise above 120/130 kph. Would be interested to see if a more quiet design (I like the look of the McLaren ones) is possible or I will have to learn to live with it (it's not too bad....).

Although I love Pagani (I visited and toured the factory when they were still producing Zonda S's and had only delivered approx 30-40 cars total) I do think it's a bit to fancy/swoopy for a Lotus. I know tastes differ so only my opinion. But the lightness aspect of that mirror is definitely keeping in the Lotus spirit.

2006 Elise Magnetic Blue | BOE REV300tvs SC kit with 85mm pulley, ITG airbox, Exedy Sport Clutch, 2bular 8x22 Oval Tip Exhaust, Black Exige Rear Diffuser, Black Forged 7spoke wheels, BOE Uprated Rear Engine Mount, Exige V6 Mirror Plinths, Exige Sport Seats in Alcantara with more to come.

post #24 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
UK Exile

Here's the design I'm going to pursue...
Attached Images

post #25 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:58 AM

Given no legal constraints, I'd eliminate the mirrors alogether. I'd install micro cameras with slightly fisheye lenses into the current mirror base mount location and put small monitors inside on the A-pillar and on both sides of the main center rearview mirror.

My cars:
2006 Lotus Exige, 2014 Chevy Volt, 2000 Corbin Sparrow, 1996 Porsche 993, 1990 Mazda Miata (turbo)
post #26 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 01:08 PM

Garage
My vote is still for the BOE mirrors...where I am not a fan of the APR racing carbon mirror they use, the base is amazingly well made...and if you could purchase just the base and then install your own mirror...totally worth it!!!

However I see Phil is not offering them anymore.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #27 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
UK Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm View Post
My vote is still for the BOE mirrors...where I am not a fan of the APR racing carbon mirror they use, the base is amazingly well made...and if you could purchase just the base and then install your own mirror...totally worth it!!!

That's actually the direction I'm headed.

I've seen the Marque mirrors and although I'm sure the mount is well built I'm personally not a fan of the stem style mount. I'm going to fabricate something a little different that suits the style of the Elige but most likely using a mirror by APR.
post #28 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 02:38 PM

I've actually really loved the Craftsquare CF mirrors that Sector111 used to sell. It's nigh impossible to get them now without paying huge sums of money, tho. BOE's Marque mirrors come close, tho, should you appreciate the Craftsquare look.

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #29 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.woolery View Post
Given no legal constraints, I'd eliminate the mirrors alogether. I'd install micro cameras with slightly fisheye lenses into the current mirror base mount location and put small monitors inside on the A-pillar and on both sides of the main center rearview mirror.
I know this is slightly off subject, but I too have toyed with the idea of using cameras in lieu of mirrors like the BMW 3.0 CSL, and a display where the useless Exige interior rear view mirror used to reside.
Attached Images

post #30 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 04:05 PM

Garage
This is my unconventional mirror solution. I previously replaced the oem mirrors with the craft square CF mirrors. However, I wanted viewing angle and something different. So 1-2 years ago, I bought a pair of convex Napolean motorcyle mirrors directly from a japanese motorcycle accessories website. I removed the craft square mirrors and stems but left the bases in tact. I then installed the motorcycle mirrors onto the craft square bases. It's not for everybody - busy, mechanical and very transformerish looking. However, I like the functionality and uniqueness. It's sure funky looking but reduced the wind noise with wider viewing angle.

It's vinyl wrapped in blue to match the end plates of the rear spoiler.

Repost:

Just my unique take on things!
amoe likes this.

Modded but still NA!

Last edited by good2go; 01-04-2016 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Pics
post #31 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2go View Post
This is my unconventional mirror solution. I previously replaced the oem mirrors with the craft square CF mirrors. However, I wanted viewing angle and something different. So 1-2 years ago, I bought a pair of convex Napolean motorcyle mirrors directly from a japanese motorcycle accessories website. I removed the craft square mirrors and stems but left the bases in tact. I then installed the motorcycle mirrors onto the craft square bases. It's not for everybody - busy, mechanical and very transformerish looking. However, I like the functionality and uniqueness. It's sure funky looking but reduced the wind noise with wider viewing angle.

Very nice solution; I've seen the racy shapes available for motorcycles, but thought the viewing area to be relatively compact.
post #32 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
UK Exile

At the end of the day it's really about wha looks good to the personal eye.

I'll keep this thread going and post up my CAD designs and final product in the coming weeks.
avonnieda, vavoo and 275 Turbo like this.
post #33 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm View Post

I have a set of BOE marque mirrors if anyone is interested. Offers.
post #34 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
UK Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardNHCooper View Post
I have a set of BOE marque mirrors if anyone is interested. Offers.
Richard - don't take it the wrong way, but there's a classified section here, let's not turn this into a FS thread
post #35 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2go View Post

I always wondered why no one converted motorcycle mirrors. Most of them are large but aerodynamic.
Plus I am sure there is a nice design that would match the Elige looks.

It seems like that's what Pagani did.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #36 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
UK Exile

Watch this space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
I always wondered why no one converted motorcycle mirrors. Most of them are large but aerodynamic.
Plus I am sure there is a nice design that would match the Elige looks.

It seems like that's what Pagani did.

post #37 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 05:21 AM

I feel like all the solutions but stock look like a compromise. They don't cover the stock bolt holes, they have exposed bolts and such.
It would be nice to have a custom looking design that fits the aesthetic of our cars.

exlondoner likes this.
post #38 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
UK Exile

It's in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
I feel like all the solutions but stock look like a compromise. They don't cover the stock bolt holes, they have exposed bolts and such.
It would be nice to have a custom looking design that fits the aesthetic of our cars.

post #39 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
UK Exile

If there was a choice between a custom APR GT3 mirror and the magical racing mirror which would you all select? Ignore the stem and mount.
post #40 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 06:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlondoner View Post
If there was a choice between a custom APR GT3 mirror and the magical racing mirror which would you all select? Ignore the stem and mount.
That would be a good subject for a poll. I think rounder mirrors like the magical mirrors are more suited to these cars for aesthetics, than the more square ones. But I can understand how it's more about function than form for a lot of people, and you can likely see more from the square ones. I like the rounder mirrors.
Falsey likes this.

2005 Elise - Saffron Yellow.
1997 Ducati 748 - Yellow.
2016 Ducati Scrambler - Yellow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in