BOE's traction reduction services - 1 year later - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 9Likes
  • 9 Post By Parko

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
BOE's traction reduction services - 1 year later

I have been thinking I wanted to post about my experience with BOE and their "Black" series engine install they completed for me. I'm also trying to avoid a long winded rant, as I have a tendency to ramble on. If anyone wants more detail just ask. I thought that giving a report from a year later might give some insight in to reliability and BOE service after the sale. It was easy to be excited and happy when I first got the car, but would some miles and time paint a different picture? Short answer: I'm still loving it!

At just over 8500 miles for 2017, all on the BOE built motor, I suspect my car was one of the most driven Loti. In addition to many spirited backroads trips to nowhere, I drove the car at autocross, road course (saw over 155mph on track), weekend trips, as well as some commuter duty. I even drove my car on a boat, the only time I have done that with any car!

Not that I want to focus on negative things, but I would rather just address them and move on to the good stuff. The skills and experience of the team @ BOE is a two edged sword. Be prepared to be patient. I suspect they can turn out 400hp builds in their sleep (well, some say Phil doesn't sleep), and apparently the word is out. It was months waiting for my turn before they were ready to get started on my car. Communications was sparse and at times frustrating or concerning. I was willing to overlook this in exchange for top quality workmanship. After all this is an automotive shop not a call center. After I got the car back, I had only 1 issue that was their responsibility: they didn't get their toe links installed on my car. I was so excited about the motor I didn't notice until I got home. Some might say this is a negative, but no person and no company is perfect. How you respond to a mistake can help define your character. In my case, there was no hassle. I spoke to Andrew and he quickly made it right, end of discussion.

I had to draw the line on some of the expense, so I kind of got a rather vanilla setup as far as BOE motors go. No long rod, solid rockers, or front HEX. I did do a stage 3 cam. Pretty much anything else we added on was for reliability. I had told myself I would be happy with 330 whp, but when Phil was done tuning, it made over 350 whp! On the scales my car weighed 1944 pounds, I like the way this math looks! It's not just the power but probably more striking is the increase in mid range torque. It changed the character of the car. On the stock block with the rev 400, the car was fast and powerful, but sometimes below 4k revs at an autocross I would kind of have to wait for the power to build back up, or consider downshifting. Now it plants you back in the seat with over 200 lb ft of torque starting around 3500 rpm, and a flat ~250 lb ft from 5k to 7k. The car can dig out of a slow/tight corner WAY faster than with the old motor. It demands grippy tires and respect from the driver. I *need* motorsport events because the limits of the car are too much for the streets. That being said, I will vouch for Phil on a point I have seen him make a few times: his supercharger kits maintain essentially stock driveability. If you shift at say 4k, especially using partial throttle, this car is not scary. My wife drives it sometimes without me and there's no fear of it getting violent with her. Whenever you want it, though, just keep your foot mashed to the floor until 8k+ rpms, and things start happening very quickly!

In summary, almost everyone has heard the addage, "Cheap, fast, reliable: pick two." It's not cheap, but it is stupid fast and BOE's track recipe has proven reliable for me so far. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Parko; 02-16-2018 at 07:57 AM. Reason: As noted below, I should point out this is meant to be a review of the motor, doh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 08:45 PM
cph

Garage
Excellent Revue and I love the title .... very apt !!

I have purchased a "Black" engine and TVS1320 along with a host of other parts for my 2-11.
No complaints about the product , its well thought out and performs better than expectations. I had a small issue but BOE stood up and admitted fault and fixed the problem and its not often you get that in the performance parts game .

I do have to agree with your comments regarding patience ... it can be a bit of test at times , but normally my 2nd or 3rd email gets a reply from Andrew and to be fair Phil is normally available when I contact him by text.

I think they may going through the classic small business problem of growing to fast and struggling to keep up with demand.

2-11 : BOE Built Engine / Rev 400 SC / Quaife Sequential / Dry Sump / Fastworks Tune SOLD
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...roject-339234/

ELISE : K20 / TVS 1320 / EP sequential / Dry Sumped / Motec M1

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...ealand-439105/

JUNO SSE K20 NA
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 05:49 AM

Garage
Hmmm?

So it's a built engine? I have the torque 300 tune with all bells and whistle supporting accessories.( stock internals)

I am at (last time I checked) 290whp.

Phil is silly busy, but when it is your turn he does any and all followup to satisfy and deliver.

I don't want to malign your post,but I am thinking about a significant build in the future myself.

The expense to get my car to 290whp was not what I call "cheap" but I am somewhat concerned about what it may cost to get to your level of power. It makes me wonder if maybe the elige is the wrong platform for my future desires?

I am going to have to do more research before going further down the road... I am thinking it possible I may be underwhelmed going from 290whp to 350whp, vs going from stock power to 350whp. any thoughts man?

L O T U S

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 06:29 AM
Less is Better

You didn't mention what you've had done to the car.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
You didn't mention what you've had done to the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard View Post
Hmmm?

So it's a built engine?
DOH! Yes I guess I left out that minor detail. The review was meant to focus on the "black" series motor and tuning!

My car has a ton of mods, a lot of them from BOE: motor, rev 400, fastworks, clam hinge, oil pan, and toe links are all BOE parts off the top of my head. PPE header header and decat, BOE/Coastal muffler, MWR "gorilla" clutch, MWR "stage 3" cams, euro mr2 6 speed, and more... Yes, I have a problem. No, I don't want to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard View Post
I have the torque 300 tune with all bells and whistle supporting accessories.( stock internals)

I am at (last time I checked) 290whp.

Phil is silly busy, but when it is your turn he does any and all followup to satisfy and deliver.

I don't want to malign your post,but I am thinking about a significant build in the future myself.

The expense to get my car to 290whp was not what I call "cheap" but I am somewhat concerned about what it may cost to get to your level of power. It makes me wonder if maybe the elige is the wrong platform for my future desires?

I am going to have to do more research before going further down the road... I am thinking it possible I may be underwhelmed going from 290whp to 350whp, vs going from stock power to 350whp. any thoughts man?
I think you are running an Exige and still on the MP62? If money were no object, I wouldn't second guess the built motor (and a Rev X, and BWR gear set) at all because it's so much fun. That said, it's probably a more "bang for buck" value around that 290 whp mark where you are, especially if you already have the MP62. I would think at around ~290 whp the MP62 is mostly topped out, but I don't think a built block and/or transaxle are mandatory for that power level. The transaxle reliability seems to depend on how rough you treat it...

My car has been through the progression of NA -> rev 300 -> rev 400 -> replace broken transaxle -> replace broken block... I was definitely not underwhelmed going from probably 275-290 whp on the stock block with rev400 to the built block, but Andrew left me with the impression that the mid range torque that was such a noticeable improvement was due to the tuning advancements since the Kold Fire days. I'm sure the stage 3 cams help, too. Pretty much the rest of the engine build parts are, in my mind, to keep it from spitting those parts and oil around the engine bay. So if you're tuned up with FastWorks already on your MP62, maybe the improvement vs cost would be underwhelming.

Last edited by Parko; 02-12-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: grammarz
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 01:38 PM

what is a euro mr2 6 speed, ?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 04:06 PM

Garage
Thanks man!

Helpful insight to guide me. I think I will focus on lightening it up a little and handling! Peacb

L O T U S
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus90 View Post
what is a euro mr2 6 speed, ?
In Europe the Toyota MR2 had a variation of the C6x transaxle that has different gear ratios. Since it is the same "family" of transmissions, it bolts right up.
https://midshiprunabout.org/mk3/gear-ratios/

1- 3.166
2- 1.904
3- 1.310
4- 0.969
5- 0.815
6- 0.725
R- 3.250
Final Drive- 3.914

I wouldn't recommend this for an NA car, but for forced induction and my goals, I like it. The BWR gear set is better, but $$$. Also swapping the whole transaxle instead of rebuilding what I had made it an easier job to do at home. The tall 6th + final drive of the euro box is so much nicer on the highway. 2nd gear tops out at over 80mph, and with a limited slip, the setup is also working well for my autocross habit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Dealers/Aftermarket Suppliers Feedback

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in