LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Dealers/Aftermarket Suppliers Feedback (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f93/)
-   -   Horrible experience with Mr. Rob Dietsch / Dietsch Werks (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f93/horrible-experience-mr-rob-dietsch-dietsch-werks-466588/)

redbadge 02-22-2019 11:54 AM

Horrible experience with Mr. Rob Dietsch / Dietsch Werks

No sure how others experience with Mr. Rob Dietsch was, I wanted to share my experience, which was a communication nightmare.

I sent my car to Mr. Dietsch for some light clam repair last August, we had a good chat about the car, let him take the time and do the right repair. We roughly agreed on taking delivery in 3 months. I wouldn't deny that the body work was done well, but everything else has been very frustrating.

Here was what happened later:

- The OEM decals were not ordered or put on, so we agreed that he will reimburse the cost of the decals if I purchased them myself. I even said I could eat the shipping cost and put them on myself, haven't received the reimbursement as of today (after 2 months)
- Left my registration, manual booklet at his place and haven't given them to me as of today (after 2 months)
- Battery was dead after sitting there for 5 month (I just ate the cost of replacing a battery)
- Took another 2 month to deliver the car. Car was delivered unfinished here and there, very dirty interior

Since I took the car I called multiple times to get my reimbursement, manual, and my registration back. I've been super patient and Mr. Dietsch has been AVOIDING my calls and text. I had to use different phones to call he would hangup on my calls.

Here was what he said yesterday before hanging up on my call again:
"I don't have enough to pump in my gas and once I have my gas money I'll send you the money." - I call that Bull****, you were just off the GGLC event right?
"I have a couple cars to finish and then i'm out of the business" - Yea I'm wondering how you could sustain a business if you treat your customers like ****.

Care to comment? @Dietsch Werks

jumpman1975 02-22-2019 01:05 PM

I contemplated sharing my experiences with Rob and was about to two weeks ago when I finally got a hold of him and got my car back. I was also patient with Rob, but the ordeal just got extremely frustrating since he wouldn't answer and return my phone calls. I was about to report the car as stolen if I hadn't been able to reach him.

I needed significant engine work and contacted Rob on March 12, 2018. I explained the issue, and he agreed to do the job. He picked my car up on March 21, 2018, and Rob gave me a four-week estimate of completion. As we expected, my bottom end needed a rebuild, which he did among other things I requested to be done. Fast forward to July 10, 2018, when I finally got my car back. There were constant delays/reasons between April and July. However, the communication at this time was a non-issue as I was able to get a hold of him via text and call.

Upon receiving my car, Rob instructed me to break-in the engine and report back to him. I was able to put on some miles slowly, and by October 5, 2018, I had put on 350 miles while staying off the 2nd cam and easy on the accelerator. I started hearing unusual sounds and vibration after the engine is hot, about after a 20-mile ride so, I reported it to Rob. He instructed me not to drive the car and that he will pick it up. Rob assured me that he stands by his work and will fix any issues. November 21, 2018, Rob picked up the car. This was during the holiday season so, I accepted that he might not get to it right away. On January 10. 2018, Rob reported that my car would be ready by the weekend. He warmed up the car for 10 minutes and observed no unusual sounds. HE WARMED UP THE CAR FOR 10 MINUTES (seriously?). I specifically told him when the symptoms occur, which is when the engine is hot after at least a 20-mile drive. He agreed to test drive the car. January 23, 2019, Rob reported that he warmed it up for 1 hour and observed nothing unusual.

Between January 11, 2019, and February 4th, 2019, I called him 10 times with no answer and no callback. At first, I thought he got sick or hospitalized but found him active on LT. I sent him a PM on LT. I was furious at this point and contacted a couple of lawyer friends for advice. I left Rob a voicemail and told him to return my phone call, and my car no matter the state or I will be reporting the car as stolen. The following day, February 4, 2019, I searched for his shop's website and found a number, which ended up being another company's phone number, I think it was turbo hoses or something. I found another number and got a woman's voicemail greeting. I hung up but remembered his wife's name since Rob mentioned her a couple of times. I called again and left a message, which within minutes, I received a callback from Rob's wife. I informed her of the situation and my next steps. She agreed to get a hold of Rob right away. Within minutes, I get a call from Rob. He explained what he has done with the car, which was basically nothing. I'm attributing the unusual noises to the forged pistons and will finally get to drive it this weekend.

Anyway, it was a challenge dealing with Rob for sure, and I'm not entirely aware of other circumstances that he is dealing with. I always try to keep an open mind since I don't know what other people are going through. But that was an experience I don't want to go through again. I'm just happy to get my car back and will deal with any issues that come up. Sorry to hear about your situation, but I can relate.

redbadge 02-23-2019 09:45 AM

Dang, :facepalm This is unbelievable. At least I was dealing much less trouble than you did. Hopefully your car is in great order now.
I wish we had more reviews of the shops here in the area so we could avoid the trouble we don't want to get into.

oldmansan 02-23-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbadge (Post 5926160)
Dang, :facepalm This is unbelievable. At least I was dealing much less trouble than you did. Hopefully your car is in great order now.
I wish we had more reviews of the shops here in the area so we could avoid the trouble we don't want to get into.

It would probably help if you posted this in the proper area.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f93/

San

redbadge 03-19-2019 09:38 AM

As of today, Rob basically made it clear to me that he is not giving me back my manual and registration, not mentioning the money he owed.

Also I just found out he messed up my paint when he was working on my car. What a *** to deal with.

Can't imagine how he could earn any business here in the highly competitive bay area. Glad he's moving out of the area.

PLEASE Everybody don't give your beloved cars to this scammer to work on!

Darren Donovan 04-04-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbadge (Post 5931948)
As of today, Rob basically made it clear to me that he is not giving me back my manual and registration, not mentioning the money he owed.

Also I just found out he messed up my paint when he was working on my car. What a *** to deal with.

Can't imagine how he could earn any business here in the highly competitive bay area. Glad he's moving out of the area.

PLEASE Everybody don't give your beloved cars to this scammer to work on!

Isn't that considered stealing?
I came from the Corvette world, we had something similar by the name of Hennessy.

redbadge 04-05-2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Donovan (Post 5936138)
Isn't that considered stealing?
I came from the Corvette world, we had something similar by the name of Hennessy.

Just amazed there are people doing business this way.

BondoRobert 06-18-2019 05:12 PM

I also had a very bad experience with Rob as well. Had thought about posting my dealings with him but did not want to lambaste someone on LotusTalk, this group is a great sight with many good sellers and great advice. Once I read what happened to other groupies I knew I had to post something about my very unhappy transactions with him. My first purchase was a battery cover, took 3 calls to get it. Very lame excuses. Not right.Next purchase was a harness bar and harnesses. After a couple of weeks and many calls I got some great excuses. "Been too busy, they'll go out tomorrow", "Have not taken them out of the car yet", "I have to get them out of my storage facility, its 2 hours away"' I had had enough, plus my car was gone, so I wanted my cash back. More good excuses, "I don't have the money available I will in a day or so", "I'm waiting for a insurance settlement", "I'm buying a house need all my cash for that", etc. etc. Took 10 calls and 2 months but I got a refund, I was NEVER going to stop chasing this SOB. Finally got it. I kept very exact records and recorded my calls with him so fellow Lotus folks could listen to his lies. If his name was Pinnochio he could not get in a Lotus. Now I know why he wants PayPal payments sent as friends and family. I did go to Yelp and left him a negative rating. Not nasty, but negative, and told him he should be ashamed the way he treated me. Now that I realize he had done this to others I feel justified posting my experience with him. Perhaps he should be removed from LotusTalk, people like him don't belong here.

sirnonz 06-19-2019 10:09 PM

wow, that's crazy. I'm somewhat local to him and if it's sitting around at his shop I can pick it up and ship those items to you. @redbadge

oldmansan 06-20-2019 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BondoRobert (Post 5956980)
Perhaps he should be removed from LotusTalk, people like him don't belong here.

First, I want to say that I am not diminishing your post by not quoting all of it. Second, I'm posting as a forum member and a moderator. Removing someone from this forum is difficult, unless they've repeatedly attacked others, have been warned and continue to violate forum rules, etc.

I respect the fact that you didn't use the forum to try to force something out of your adversary. I also think that if you've exhausted other avenues, that sometimes it is necessary. You're not the first person to have an issue, so I think that you're looking out for others on the forum. That said, I would like to hear the other side of the story, but given that the person in question has been called out already, I don't expect to see a response. I for one appreciate the members in this thread that have warned other forum members of a Lotus resource that has acted questionably. Caveat Emptor.

San

3carmonte 06-20-2019 06:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Who 'ya gonna call?

SeniorDingDong 06-20-2019 09:21 AM

I too had a negative experience with him, although not as bad as the ones in this thread. I just found him to do sloppy work. I always recommend Jon at TrackSpec in Fremont. He does all my work.

JasonB 06-20-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeniorDingDong (Post 5957336)
I too had a negative experience with him, although not as bad as the ones in this thread. I just found him to do sloppy work. I always recommend Jon at TrackSpec in Fremont. He does all my work.

Great shop. I love working with Jon and Victoria and the techs over there.

rustyb 06-20-2019 05:05 PM

Rob's silence on these matters speaks volumes.

brandobot89 06-20-2019 05:24 PM

Long story short, visit Jon @ TrackSpec and not Dietsch...

redbadge 06-21-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirnonz (Post 5957252)
wow, that's crazy. I'm somewhat local to him and if it's sitting around at his shop I can pick it up and ship those items to you. @redbadge

Really appreciate it!! However HE took the stuff so HE needs to return the stuff. Let's see how this goes.

I'm glad more members that have had negative experience with him could speak up here so others could avoid him.

ckalkhof 06-21-2019 04:21 PM

Guess I have to chime in also. Took forever to get my parts. Incredibly slow to respond. How should I say this... just not a nice guy.

Randy Chase 07-03-2019 09:39 AM

This thread is about two different things... Rob Dietsch and the company Dietschwerks. Let me explain and offer some background which I hope adds some clarification and note, I am not suggesting the comments here are not well founded. Not at all.

First, I have known Rob for many years. He has always been there to offer me help in any way I needed it. I was driving down past his shop for example on a Sunday...when I had a problem. Rob took off his work day to help me as I was stranded. He drove me to local junkyards to buy a part for my broken MR2 so I could get back on the road. I am certain he had much work to do in his shop, but that is Rob. He never even charged me.

So over the years I have learned that Rob is in fact a very nice guy. But a bit too nice to be a good business man. He will over promise, which is not a good thing. He is way too optimistic with his schedules and time. A few years back, I was in discussion with Hoover at Turbohoses to buy Rob's company Dietschwerks, as I felt that Hoover is a good business man and could let Rob be the good tech that he is. A deal was done.

However, some months ago, that relationship was not going as well and then Rob and Jen decided to start a new life in Oklahoma. As you may imagine, the last 6 months for them has been a struggle as they are still trying to move all their parts, tools, and life to Oklahoma. I just visited Jen in her Oklahoma home and I know Rob is still transporting his cars. So I can see that much stuff has happened in the last few months as Rob has had to deal with the move and separation from is prior business, all while still trying to pay the bills.

AGAIN... not saying complaints are not valid. Just offering some explanation and noting that Rob is a nice guy that is not on a computer all day like me so his communication is not always quick. And I expect his focus now is much less on the repair and parts business so he may not spend time reading Lotustalk.

And I want to stress, that DietschWerks is an ongoing entity that no longer involves Rob. That is a business that is owned by Hoover at Turbohoses and all questions about parts and service for DietschWerks should be directed to the people at Turbohoses.

redbadge 07-04-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Chase (Post 5960734)
This thread is about two different things... Rob Dietsch and the company Dietschwerks. Let me explain and offer some background which I hope adds some clarification and note, I am not suggesting the comments here are not well founded. Not at all.

First, I have known Rob for many years. He has always been there to offer me help in any way I needed it. I was driving down past his shop for example on a Sunday...when I had a problem. Rob took off his work day to help me as I was stranded. He drove me to local junkyards to buy a part for my broken MR2 so I could get back on the road. I am certain he had much work to do in his shop, but that is Rob. He never even charged me.

So over the years I have learned that Rob is in fact a very nice guy. But a bit too nice to be a good business man. He will over promise, which is not a good thing. He is way too optimistic with his schedules and time. A few years back, I was in discussion with Hoover at Turbohoses to buy Rob's company Dietschwerks, as I felt that Hoover is a good business man and could let Rob be the good tech that he is. A deal was done.

However, some months ago, that relationship was not going as well and then Rob and Jen decided to start a new life in Oklahoma. As you may imagine, the last 6 months for them has been a struggle as they are still trying to move all their parts, tools, and life to Oklahoma. I just visited Jen in her Oklahoma home and I know Rob is still transporting his cars. So I can see that much stuff has happened in the last few months as Rob has had to deal with the move and separation from is prior business, all while still trying to pay the bills.

AGAIN... not saying complaints are not valid. Just offering some explanation and noting that Rob is a nice guy that is not on a computer all day like me so his communication is not always quick. And I expect his focus now is much less on the repair and parts business so he may not spend time reading Lotustalk.

And I want to stress, that DietschWerks is an ongoing entity that no longer involves Rob. That is a business that is owned by Hoover at Turbohoses and all questions about parts and service for DietschWerks should be directed to the people at Turbohoses.

I appreciate the explaination. I'm sure some people have had good experience working with him, but simply not me and some members in this thread.

As a customer paying money for him to do a job, I expect the job to be done as agreed. If it happened he's a nice guy and we could make friends, that's great. But that comes after he delivers the work and do the buseniss in a legitimate way. If not, it is not that important if he's a nice guy or not.

Keeping people's cars for months without acknowledgement, not returning customers personal belongings, hang up customers phones, promising one thing and deliver something else, lying, lying and lying. To me he failed to be a business owner and a nice person.

If he's good at working on cars not communication, then focus on working on cars rather than running a business. Not even care to come out here to do some explaination speaks it all.

Also, as of today my registration and booklet, the money he owed have never get returned to me.

golfnutintib 08-10-2019 08:33 AM

I have had similar experiences with Rob. Nice guy, good Lotus mechanic, well meaning but horribly disorganized and very poor at most elements of management (time, people, commitments, parts....). Have to really pursue him to get things done, sometimes sit in his shop so he knows you are waiting then he gets it done. Also can confirm he has moved on to OK and a new life there is so he is out of the area. Who is running and working at the shop in Livermore currently that bears Rob's name, I don't know.

I am looking for another service shop to work on my Elise. Looks like I will need to trek down to Trackspec in the South Bay, which is quite a haul. But I guess it is worth the trouble to get the work done well and with minimal fuss and frustration.