9Likes
  • 5 Post By Ls1Rx7
  • 1 Post By darkSol
  • 1 Post By Kevin Michael
  • 1 Post By oldmansan
  • 1 Post By fzust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Kudos to Fred @ BWR (Black Watch Racing)

I gotta say, moving to the Lotus platform has been a bit of an adjustment, and one of those adjustments was working with the vendors.
This is a small platform, and as a business owner I can imagine how difficult it would be to run a small business catering to a niche audience whom are likely pretty difficult to work with (I'm speaking of myself as well here btw).
That alone is enough to make it somewhat feel like a thankless job at times, and thats the impression that I've gotten from some of the vendors I've worked with when sourcing parts for the car.

That's even when spending thousands, but there's definately an excpetion to this, and thats Fred @ BWR.

I called BWR last winter looking to buy some small items. Anyway Fred helped me out and I told him man your Penske DAs have been teasing me, and he said keep an eye on the website, we're doing a black friday special. So I waited and when they went on special, they were still way more than I wanted to spend, but the SOLE reason that pushed me over the edge to buying them was I felt like I was supporting a good guy and a good company. If he wasn't so nice I would have said, to hell with it I'm not supporting them, I don't need them that bad.

And I've had a couple questions and what not since, and he's been very communicative.

Now I figured that might just be because I spent a decent chunk of money. So, I was surprised that 8 months later when I go on the website to order some anti rattle detent pins for $30 and their website is quoting over $30 for shipping, I figured I'd write them and see if they had another shipping option.
This was 10PM on a saturdayy night. Fred sent me an email back at mignight and said it was just essentially a fluke on the website, and it shouldn't be more than $10.

Now look I take pride in my own company but I'm probably not going to email you back at midnight on Saturday for a question on a $30 part.
And the fact that I get Fred on the phone everytime I call, gives me the sense that he's dealing with the same small business issues as all of the other Lotus vendors.

So kudos to you man, I hope you guys are doing well and making money. You can deff spend money with these guys knowing you're supporting dedicated peeps.
fzust, shay2nak, darkSol and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 09:16 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Fred (and Alex) are the real deal.
fzust likes this.

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 04:00 PM

I second the kudos to Fred. He is very responsive and just, well, nice. I love the Penske non-adjustables he built for me.

Kevin
fzust likes this.

1974 Europa Twin Cam (gone but not forgotten)
1971 Europa S2 (owned but two months; flipped to raise funds to fill gap in college tuition)
35 years of restraint (including an Odyssey with 13 cupholders)
2005 Elise (magnetic blue), starshield, chin guards, Penske nonajustable shocks (BWR), Mishimoto sandwich plate, AEM oil temp and pressure gauges, third brake light flasher, Larini Group B silencer, Sector 111 DSBrace

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 06:12 PM
The Enforcer

In my dealings with BWR, Fred and Alexandra have always provided excellent and timely support before and after the sale. I talked to Fred before purchasing
the Penske DAs for his opinion on the spring rates I'd like and used his and Alexandra's advice (stiffer race rates). I used their recommended settings and honestly haven't touched them. The only downside to them (the Penskes) is they're almost too gorgeous to install.

Twice I've lost my Penske installation procedures and the last time (last month) I emailed Fred and I had them in a matter of minutes. Years after the sale.

Many moons ago I asked Fred to measure the anti-rattle pins they carry so I'd know if my car had them or not. My car didn't have the larger pins so I ordered a pair online. I mistakenly ordered two pairs so Alexandra emailed me to see if I really wanted two pairs, and then adjusted the order quickly and painlessly.

I've purchased a set of Team Dynamics forged wheels, ARP wheel stud kit, Penske DAs and other items from BWR. I ordered the wrong size badge once and Fred shipped the right one out and just had me send back the other.

There's a case to be made for supporting our vendors, especially the smaller ones. When you purchase from BWR, you get excellent products, pricing and service. The fact that you're supporting our vendors is just icing on the cake.

Alexandra, if you prefer Alex, my apologies.

San
fzust likes this.

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 04:58 AM
Elise Guru

Thanks Guys, it is really gratifying and a bit embarrassing to hear all the praise. We do try! Nearly all the folks, old and new, in the Lotus community make it special. I speak to new people to the Lotus community all the time. They are just surprised at how special a 1900lb car feels on the road. We go through the options for what people want to get out of their lotus.

I've spent so much time and money developing our XP car and the associated technologies that filter into the products we sell. We'll never recoup the investment of time and money and that is fine, but I really, really try to help people NOT spend money as stupidly as I have! : ) (Example, my car first had a turbo. There are really good reasons we have superchargers now.) We try to get folks to really begin with the end in mind to avoid double-spending money.

Alex vs Alexandra, she's good with either. She uses Alex online and email because most guys think because she's female, she's an idiot about cars. Please guys, don't make that mistake! While I probably have deeper knowledge on the Lotus, she knows quite a bit and if the topic is Corvette or Panteras, look out!

Last but not least, my responsiveness is always best on email. Sometimes I am available via phone, sometimes not and we're still pretty terrible on timeliness on returning phone calls, but we try. Thanks again for the kind words!

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 05:12 AM
Elise Guru

Oh, one questions we get all the time, that I thought I would post here: "I want my lotus to be a great combination for street/autox which holding its own at a stoplight.... Oh yeah and reliable"

Here is the answer:

For handling: Penske DA/SA/NA to taste, BWR Swaybar, Milled steering arms for more camber, either TD or 6UL 15x8 and 17x9 wheels. 225/45R15F and 255/40F17R on BFG Rival S or Hankook RS-4s. Fits under stock bodywork and gives 1.5" more tire width.

For Power: TVS300 or TVS400. My car with worn out A048s ran 11.9sec 1/4mile(TVS400). FastWorks tune is sublime.

For Reliability: Wet Sump oilpan, Rear toe links. Wheels studs if you track and change wheels alot. If you have an older car i.e. 10 years old. Replace the radiator and the brake lines. I have blown stock brakelines on each of our cars, they get old. If you get 10 years out of the stock radiator you are on borrowed time.

This will get you to a TTOD car at many local autoxes and very fast and easy to drive on the track. On the street the car will make everyone else feel like they are in slow motion. Not just because you are fast, but the handling is laser sharp and everything else seems sluggish and slow.

That's it. Reliable, everyday supercar.

Any questions? Drop me an email: [email protected]
TachItUp likes this.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Dealers/Aftermarket Suppliers Feedback

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in