Support your Local Dealer... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By exigegus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Support your Local Dealer...

So I am getting bummed out by the negative posts about several of our former upstanding corporate citizens

So I figured I would post a counterpoint.

First, this is really the first time I have had a Lotus that was a more or less current vehicle, meaning there is meaningful dealer support, and I have made the attempt to take advantage of it where I can. Many here are not old enough to remember when owning a car that while only 14 years old, was 2 dealership structures ago and so downmarket that US based support was not really a thing.

Aston Martin/Lotus Motorsports of Boston has taken care of my parts orders without problems

i usually email a list of what i am looking for, to confirm pricing[that I usually already know]. It might take a few days for them to get back to me, but they will give me a lead time that they usually beat, once the order is placed it is generally one to two weeks and I can go pick it up or have them ship it up to me.
It is not an automated internet business that spits things out automatically, someone has to do order entry. No ordering at 3AM and 2 day free shipping, but pretty normal and reliable.

Pricing is pretty much the same as any of the online dealer parts sources.

My suggestion is that if you live anywhere near your nearest dealer, cultivate that relationship. Learn the parts guys name, get your credit card on file and use them when cost permits.

I have actually said this since I was 17 'Always check the dealer' Somethings are not outrageous, or at least not more outrageous than a 'regular' car.
You know the 3 switch version of the driver side panel is like 11 bucks? As is the blank one on the other side. Of course weirdly the 2 switch is 26......
You know those plastic 'scrivets' that you broke? Like a buck and a half.

So anyway, I thought I would post something a bit more positive on the parts front
aterren and Twaszak! like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:02 PM

Lotus of Austin wont call me back or answer the phone so ^o^

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:00 PM

Garage
You've got a point here. If you're lucky enough to be blessed with a Lotus dealer within 200 miles, you should probably be doing what you can to keep their franchise open. As it is, I'm about to place an order with the nearest Lotus dealer, which also happens to be the not-universally-beloved MyLotusGarage.com (Flow Lotus). Maybe I'll have my stuff by fall...

I've been enjoying how cheap many Toyota OEM parts are and how quickly even pretty obsolete parts show up on my doorstep - some are about to find their way onto my Elise as part of an oil cooler upgrade. Admittedly, the weaknesses in the online parts search engine are a challenge, but I've been able to work around it by using international parts catalogs.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

I do hope to keep this thread positive....

That said, consider the phone.....how time consuming it is.

HOw time consuming on behalf of a automaker that just Phoned them in Upton Mass like a Lucky Wise Guy by not having a car to sell for, what 2 years.

Walk in.

Meet the parts person

Overpay for something like an airfilter or whatnot.

Get their email address.

Make it clear, that when you are emailing them about parts you are not timewasting, but confirming prices prior to order

Then do so.

Do the research your self as to whether the dealer price is acceptable to you and when the answer is yes, order the parts from the dealer

Mostly, dealers want to make money, mostly.

If they can spend 2 minutes filling your 500 dollar order for what not, they make money

If they have to talk to your for half an hour, not so much

Just sayin
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:09 PM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelypip View Post
which also happens to be the not-universally-beloved MyLotusGarage.com (Flow Lotus)
I used to use Flow and last week when I called they would no longer take orders for Lotus over the phone or website. :-(

I agree with the OP, but being 5-6hr away from my local dealer its not possible. I do maintain a good relationship with Auto Europe where I drove 12+ hrs one way to pickup the car in 2005. Unfortunately those original folks are mostly gone that I met when picking up the car. I try to order parts with them when possible, they are usually quite responsive and close to Lotus USA!

'05 Lotus Elise - Saffron Yellow | Sport Pack | Touring Pack | REV400 - 5.6 lbs/hp | ACT HDSS Clutch | DMC Header | Sport Cat | Larini SE Exhaust | Monolites/R888R | BWR Double-Adjustable Shocks | shiftR111/LETSLA/SSC Cables | Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:37 PM
Addict

Garage
I have a local dealer but I have yet to use them. I have heard good things about them and the Lotus mechanic did return a call about some questions I had. From what I've heard their labor cost is similar to a couple race shops in the area so I might give them a shot in the near future. As with most cars, sometimes parts are not available right away and sometimes the aftermarket part is a lot cheaper until you have to make more modifications for "bolt on" items that are not really bolt on...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 04:17 PM
Parts Finder

Garage
I’m only 1 1/2 hours from Lotus of Western New York. I agree with OP and will try to reach out to them tomorrow. I will put together a list of things I need for my rebuild that I won’t be sourcing from aftermarket vendors.

Past favorites

99 Esprit
02 Eurovan Weekender
62 Falcon 450hp under 2000lbs
(My first power to weight car)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:24 AM

I also live near Lotus of Western NY. I have used them once for parts. The owner says he has a huge stock of parts and that no one uses him to get them. I have called a second time to get some more parts and they never called me back. I also brought my car there to get inspected and told me to convert it to a race car and dont waste time fixing it up unless I really wanted to. They also said they would buy my car if I ever wanted to sell it. I had mixed feelings when I was there. Im going to call for some part quotes again and see what they offer. I need about 1.5k in parts to get the car to where I want it. I do think they mean well and they will spend the time with you to help out.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:20 PM
DJ1

Lotus Waltham

I get my service done at the Lotus dealer in Waltham/Boston as well. I had an appointment in the middle of a winter a few years ago. It snowed the morning of my appointment, but I made it there anyway. I had an appointment! When I got there, the service guy (forget his name, but it was not Steve, who is a nice guy) told me that none of the mechanics were going to make it in (funny that I made it there in an Elise, but the mechanics couldn't make it), and that I should bring the car back later in the week. The trip to get there in the snow took me 2 hours, so I asked if I could just leave my car there because I had made other arrangements to get to work. He refused, saying there was no room. The dealership in Waltham is huge - I think he could have found room to fit an Elise. When I complained that the situation I was being put in was unreasonable, his reply was "**** happens".
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:42 PM
Parts Finder

Garage
Update on Lotus of Western NY. He told me he was at the Lotus factory and would gladly bring back the small parts I needed....3 phone calls and a email later no reply in 4 days. I need a roof/door seal and rear side marker, easy parts to look up and will fit in his carry on. Shame I can’t get a reply.

Past favorites

99 Esprit
02 Eurovan Weekender
62 Falcon 450hp under 2000lbs
(My first power to weight car)

Last edited by Partsfinder; 03-22-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Dealers/Aftermarket Suppliers Feedback

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in