Wirewheel experiences - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:00 PM
The Enforcer

To add to the consensus, I have never seen a negative post about Wire Wheel. It is both very impressive and a rare thing these days.

Concerning the fact that they are firm on their prices is not a negative thing IMHO. I think it simply means they price their vehicles fairly.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:27 PM

I've bought parts from WW. Hayes was extremely helpful and fair on prices. He also took time to answer questions I had honestly when I was still new to Lotus. Could have easily ripped me off. I'd deal with him without a second thought.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmill0900 View Post
Hello all I'm hoping to be in the market for an 2005 or 2006 Elise in the next month or so and I really appreciate the feedback provided here because i have been seriously considering wirewheel Elise. After reading several LT threads about wirewheel, it seems like the prices are not very negotiable. Is it worth considering purchasing a car site unseen? Does anyone have experience purchasing from them with first seeing it in person?

The reason I ask is I'm in Michigan and driving it back isnt a great idea in February. I'd like fly down for a day, check it out then ship it home. It could save me around $1k if I skipped the trip down to Florida.

Interested in your thoughts!
For this kind of purchase, I personally think that $1K is a small price to pay for peace-of-mind.

I bought a non-salvage Elise recently, and I didn't even consider buying it sight-unseen.

I bought 2 round-trip plane tickets (one for me and one for the GF), even though I was 90% sure I was going through with the sale.

We loved the car, it was as-advertised, and we drove it home (12 hours), tossing the second-half of our round-trip tickets in the trash.

Worth every penny for that peace-of-mind.

We A ) Saw the car first-hand and could verify it was everything the seller said it was, and that we were happy with it.

- and -

B ) With the round-trip tickets, we had an "out" if we wanted to exercise it.

Plus, you're in Michigan, in February...and the car is in Florida, in February? Take a couple of days extra on either end of your trip and turn it into a mini-vacation. That way, you're not spending $1K "just to fly down to see the car."
exigegus, Deet3450 and John D. like this.

2011 Lotus Elise REV300 - Starlight Black Metallic
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 - Midnight Blue (sold)
2004 Chevy SSR Convertible Pickup - Ultra Violet (sold)

My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:33 PM

Wash, rinse, repeat....

In all my years on this forum, I have not read one bad word said about Wire Wheel and there's been a lot said.

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habious View Post
Quote:
Hello all I'm hoping to be in the market for an 2005 or 2006 Elise in the next month or so and I really appreciate the feedback provided here because i have been seriously considering wirewheel Elise. After reading several LT threads about wirewheel, it seems like the prices are not very negotiable. Is it worth considering purchasing a car site unseen? Does anyone have experience purchasing from them with first seeing it in person?

The reason I ask is I'm in Michigan and driving it back isnt a great idea in February. I'd like fly down for a day, check it out then ship it home. It could save me around $1k if I skipped the trip down to Florida.

Interested in your thoughts!
For this kind of purchase, I personally think that $1K is a small price to pay for peace-of-mind.

I bought a non-salvage Elise recently, and I didn't even consider buying it sight-unseen.

I bought 2 round-trip plane tickets (one for me and one for the GF), even though I was 90% sure I was going through with the sale.

We loved the car, it was as-advertised, and we drove it home (12 hours), tossing the second-half of our round-trip tickets in the trash.

Worth every penny for that peace-of-mind.

We A ) Saw the car first-hand and could verify it was everything the seller said it was, and that we were happy with it.

- and -

B ) With the round-trip tickets, we had an "out" if we wanted to exercise it.

Plus, you're in Michigan, in February...and the car is in Florida, in February? Take a couple of days extra on either end of your trip and turn it into a mini-vacation. That way, you're not spending $1K "just to fly down to see the car."
You're right that on a purchase of this scale $1k is minimal. I've never bought a car sight unseen and was more curious about others experiences to see if it was worth considering.

Did you purchase from a individual or a dealership? One thing that really appeals to be about going through wirewheel is that if I don't like the elise I flew down for they have others to choose from From my research so far it's pretty rare to find a site with more than one Elise.

I admire your approach to the round trip tickets. If I was able to, I would prefer to drive the Elise home because as you said, I'm in Michigan and the car is in Florida February I've got 2 year old twins at home and Dad taking a few days off to drive his new car just isn't in the cards.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:31 PM
rnr

I bought my salvage Evora from Wire Wheel sight unseen and had Hayes arrange shipping direct to CA. The car had some minor cosmetic issues but they were reflected in the price. Very above board transaction and I would not hesitate to buy another car from him again.

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog
06 Elise
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
02 Dodge Viper GTS
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:46 AM
Elise Newbie

I bought my '05 Elise (rebuilt FL title) from Hayes back in October and would not hesitate to do it again. He was very responsive and forthcoming with pictures and information. A pleasure to deal with. I did not arrange shipping and only bought one-way plane tickets down there but round-trip tickets as a back-up plan are never a bad idea.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:54 AM

I finally got around to subscribing to Grassroots Motorsports; not only was one of the major articles on Lotus, but the cars were all supplied by WireWheel! It seemed very well done, but I am yet to sit down and read through all of it.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:15 AM
UK Exile

We've had multiple transactions with Hayes and each one has been positive.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
I finally got around to subscribing to Grassroots Motorsports; not only was one of the major articles on Lotus, but the cars were all supplied by WireWheel! It seemed very well done, but I am yet to sit down and read through all of it.
Classic Motorsports, Grassroots' sister magazine, this current issue begins its restoration feature for a very trashed Elan.

It also has the Elise in its Depreciation Station feature, which talks about buying featured cars. Hayes is quoted extensively in that article.

WireWheel was also the featured shop in that magazine a year or so ago.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:07 AM

Garage
I bought an Evora from WireWheel a month or 2 ago, site unseen. Based on his reputation here, talking with him on the phone, and price (which was firm), took the chance. No regrets. He even told me the things he was going to fix before hand (cruise control) and was true to his word.

'11 Evora
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4380r View Post
Classic Motorsports, Grassroots' sister magazine, this current issue begins its restoration feature for a very trashed Elan.

It also has the Elise in its Depreciation Station feature, which talks about buying featured cars. Hayes is quoted extensively in that article.

WireWheel was also the featured shop in that magazine a year or so ago.
I can't tell what you mean. If you are saying that I said the wrong magazine, I meant Grassroots; they are doing a feature on Elises and Exiges in various forms from NA to the Newey Red Bull car. That's cool that he helped with both.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
I can't tell what you mean. If you are saying that I said the wrong magazine, I meant Grassroots; they are doing a feature on Elises and Exiges in various forms from NA to the Newey Red Bull car. That's cool that he helped with both.
I meant that in Grassroots' sister magazine, Classic Motorsports, Hayes and Wirewheel are also mentioned with some frequency in articles about Lotus cars.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Did you purchase from a individual or a dealership? One thing that really appeals to be about going through wirewheel is that if I don't like the elise I flew down for they have others to choose from From my research so far it's pretty rare to find a site with more than one Elise.
I bought from an individual so, yeah, it was "buy that one car or go home empty-handed".

But, that being said, I think I STILL would have done the same thing if I was looking at a car (or cars) from a dealership. I like options.

And, if you're talking about buying a ticket (or tickets) down there, hotel, etc. anyways, the price difference isn't $1,000...it was like an additional $40.00/ticket for my GF and I to buy round-trip tickets over one-way tickets. Really minimal price difference.
Dmill0900 likes this.

2011 Lotus Elise REV300 - Starlight Black Metallic
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 - Midnight Blue (sold)
2004 Chevy SSR Convertible Pickup - Ultra Violet (sold)

My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:55 PM

Another smooth purchase via Wirewheel. The SO bought a Lotus 7 replica (Superformance S1) from WW... they were able to provide videos of it running, documentation, etc, etc
Even helped with the shipping and such. Considering they are more known for proper Lotus cars, we were a little hesitant, but WW was awesome with questions.

But, as some have suggested, their prices are pretty much as is. Think of them as CarMax -- smooth, easy process, but no change in prices.

- 1300lbs, 170hp. British.
- 2100lbs, 200hp. Japanese.
- 2350lbs, 600hp. British.
- 2900lbs, 140hp. Japanese.
- 3500lbs, 280hp. Italian.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:13 PM

To counter the earlier story, I have purchased several vehicles from a distance, sight unseen. The trick was to enlist some help from an enthusiast local to the area to go check it out for me. Many people are happy to go over and look at a particular vehicle for you. From the reputation Wirewheel appears to have, I would say you are in pretty good hands to begin with...way more than half this battle. Having someone else do a test drive just confirms things and gives you a warm fuzzy....I say get all the pics and information you can, talk to them, have someone check it out, and don't worry about it! You will love the drive home!!!!
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:11 PM

Garage
I spoke to Hayes today and he was very helpful. Learned more about the car and Lotus in general during our conversation. He answered all of my questions and agreed to hold the car for a couple days so I could purchase plane tickets for later in the week.

After we got off the phone, I ran the carfax (he gave me the VIN on the phone) and learned that the car had been a rental car for the first couple years of it's life. I exchanged voicemails with Hayes and he said he wasn't aware of the rental use which is fine. Can't fault someone for something they don't know; he did inform me when we first spoke that it was in an accident which showed up on the Carfax as well. I sent him the Carfax report since he didn't already have one. He assured me that it's a nice, well maintained car but the rental car use was a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't hesitate to contact him again if he had another car that piqued my interest.

I'm back on the hunt for an Elise. There's another Elise about an hour from my house so I am going to check it out on Wednesday. Wish me luck
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:24 AM

Garage
Current issue of Grassroots Motorsports did a nice write up of Wirewheel and the Exige and Elise.
Attached Images

post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 03:56 PM

Garage
Decided to purchase locally

Thanks for all the feedback from people. I ended up purchasing an 2005 Elise from the Lotus dealer in Birmingham, MI. I just posted some picture under a new thread in the "I'm new here". And since I am new here, I have no idea how to link to that!

To the user that sent me a PM about the 2006 Elise at Wirewheel, please resend that message. I only had 4 posts at the time and couldn't respond to your message. I can PM now but the message that you sent seems to have disappeared. I would be happy to answer you questions if you send me another message
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 06:21 AM

Sounds like Wire Wheel has a great reputation. One thing I noticed looking at their site is that most of the Elise cars for sale have rebuilt titles from clam damage. Can someone explain this ?

Last edited by GasX3; 08-01-2017 at 06:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Dealers/Aftermarket Suppliers Feedback

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in