LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

2005 Lotus Elise / Honda K20A

2005 Lotus Elise W/Honda K20A
ZIP: 43311
Price: $44k
Color: Storm Titanium Gray W/Red & Black leather interior
Miles: 23029 and counting
Lotus Factory Options: Soft top, Hard top, Sport pack, Touring Pack, Starshield and window tint.

Car is to me the way Lotus should have made the stock one originally. As it is, it will be a complete street sleeper / track car. As detailed below it has extensive and tasteful mods that any true Lotus enthusiast will love. I do want to mention I have all of the original parts and nothing on the car canít be made back to 100% factory condition. After reading the mods below you will notice this does include a spare engine and transmission with only 22083 miles that works perfectly and was not replaced due to an issue (I recorded its last start up prior to properly storing it). Why? I work at Honda and wanted a better drivetrain. Simple. I put the best motor in it. I also want to emphasize the wire harness, fuel system and cooling system were all modified in a way that allows it to be switched back to work with the Toyota if ever desired. Yes, that is a custom wire hardness with relays and Lotus connectors to eliminate the need to cut the Lotus wire harness. I will include pages of documentation used for the swap. On to the mods.

Chassis: Alcantara roll hoop trim, Alcantara front hard top cover (part right in front of your head that covers attachment points. Dynamat inside cabin. Kenwood KDC-X998 head unit. High end Focal speakers front and rear. Removed rear storage thingy (useless and rattles) and replaced it with a permanent Phone charge cord. New rear clam foam seals, New Radium engineering rear clam shims, ORE Carbon fiber side scoops (wide). GRP carbon fiber front splitter. New hardware when needed and plenty of spare hardware as well. New headlamp and turn lamp seals. New windshield wiper.

Engine: 2003 Honda K20A Type R Motor with 6pd transmission and limited slip differential (less than 30k miles). Hondata KPro4 ECU reflash. Clockwise motorsports Billet aluminum oil pan baffle. Oil catch can in place of PCV valve. New plugs, New Oil (Motul), New transmission fluid (Amsoil), New coolant (Motul) New alternator, New thermostat, DC Sports Header with header wrap, Innovative Decat J pipe. New O2 Sensor. Stage 2 Lotus Muffler (Louder, but not bad). Radium engineering coolant expansion tank with two stages of pressure caps as needed. All silicone coolant hoses with AN fittings. Sector 111 All aluminum triple pass radiator. Sector 111 silicone radiator hoses with bleed ports. Removed front oil coolers (Honda runs cooler and has internal oil/water cooler). Removed AC condenser and left off the Honda compressor. Have all of them if you want to add the weight back. Custom straight AEM cold air intake (Gold heat tape wrapped), Custom carbon fiber gold heat tape wrapped air box. Honestly the best sounding engine intake I have heard yet. Custom engine grounding as recommended by Hondata. New BOE fuel filter and housing. New fuel filter. New high flow Walboro 255 fuel pump. New fuel pressure gage with AN fittings in case you want to remove. Innovative Tig welded mounts (with street track durometer urethane). Innovative high torque axles. Innovative throttle adapter. Monkey wrench racing stainless steel braided clutch line. I know I am missing hardware, but it has been done right. Tuning completed by E-tunez.com which by the way did an awesome job. I was very surprised from with the amount the motor changed from a stock tune to the current state. Plus, I still get around 26 MPG. BTW, tuned to run on 93 octane. Not sure of dyno numbers yet. Motor runs at 167 at normal driving conditions. Will get up to 180 with spirited driving. Have not had on track yet, so not sure about that or city driving. Just added the inokinetic shifter111 with both the upgrades GS and CG shift cables. Wow what a difference this set up makes! Pretty pricey parts though. It comes with the stage 2 lotus exhaust as well.

Suspension: Ohhh the good part. Sector 111 46mm Pro 3 way adjustable Nitron Triples. 550#/700# Fr/Rr rates. Monkey wrench racing adjustable front sway bar with adjustable links and urethane bushings. Sector 111 damper reservoir mounts (under access panels front an in the trunk rear), easy adjustments without the need to jack the car up. Sector 111 adjustable rear toe link upgrade. Sector 111 front steering arms for extra camber, Sector 111 shims. After build the car was sent to V2 Motorsports in Detroit for a complete alignment and suspension set up for a 220 # driver. The thing was transformed with the stuff they did. Have all settings documented. V2 motorsports comes highly recommended BTW. Guy (Ralph) is a true racer and engineer. Not to mention he is a good guy to work with as well. Same goes for Shinoo at Sector 111 or InoKinetic or whatever they call it now. Wheels are the Sport / Track pack forged units with peel coat gray black finish. The tires have lots of tread left and are the Dunlop Direzza Star specs 205/50-16 front and 235/45-17 rear. Both are very good condition.

Brakes: Totally rebuilt stock calipers with proper hardware from the UK / Italy Both front and rear. Really look sharp compared to the bland looking stock finish. Front pistons were replaced with the BOE Stainless Steel ones that transmit much less heat to the fluid. Sector 111 Quick bleed stainless steel front lines, Sector 111 stainless steel rear lines, Hawk HT10 pads all around. DBA5000 two piece rotors all around (have stock rotors and pads as well as old lines). Motul RBF660 fluid just bled.

Bad: Normal scrapes, nothing bad. Driver seat has a little wear (again not bad). Car rattles more than stock due to the stiffer engine mounts and is louder to drive due to the straight intake and free flowing exhaust. Sounds great to me though. Front clam has the usual road rash under the chin. Splitter covers that up though. Starshield probably needs to be replaced in the next year or so. Not sure how long they are supposed to last. My JDM ECU does not allow for a 5V reference output as needed to run the fuel gage. So, it is not functional (only wiring issue that unfortunately canít be resolved with JDM ECU). I use the odometer to judge fuel. Currently just fill up at 220 miles, so not a biggie to me. I realize this screams track toy, but to date it has been to Waterford Hills in Detroit for 3 sessions and Mid Ohio for 3.5 sessions. So, it is relatively speaking a virgin. The repowered Honda and Nitrons have zero track time and are as new. I want to mention the vibrations again. The harder engine mounts transmit a lot of vibrations. NVH on this is more similar to a race car. I am not even sure why I have a stereo to be honest.

Price: Just looking at the car alone in the condition it is stock I would get around 33~35k. Repower cost me around $15k. Nitrons cost me $3.5k. Shifter set up was $1.8k and cooling set up was $1.5k. Spare engine, transmission, exhaust, ECU, AC, Radiator, Dampers, etc. etc. $5k. Set up at V2 and other suspension bits $1.5k. Leaving everything else off the list (probably around $2k) gets me to around $61k to break even. I am thinking $44k would be a great starting place for negotiations. Low ballers need not apply. You can have the stock car for $34k. Add the items you want for the prices listed. Anyway, shoot me an offer if you are interested and we will see where it goes. Oh, no tire kickers. Donít waste your time or mine. If you do not have a check in your hand, car stays in the garage. I do not need help selling this car. I am not going to meet you. I will not pay for shipping. Those are all up to you to figure out. I will help out with you or a shipper to get this to you. The car has a clean title and no prior crash damage. Still owe a little, so we would need to do the deal at my house / bank (20 min away). Located in 43311 zip code.
Attached Images

Last edited by jv03h; 04-14-2018 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Adding Pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

More pics
Attached Images

post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

some more
Attached Images

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 03:15 PM

Sounds like an amazing build!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

more
Attached Images

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 08:15 AM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

Approximate power? Sounds like an amazing car. GLWS

'05 Lotus Elise - Saffron Yellow | Sport Pack | Touring Pack | REV400 - 5.6 lbs/hp | ACT HDSS Clutch | DMC Header | Sport Cat | Larini SE Exhaust | Monolites/R888R | BWR Double-Adjustable Shocks | shiftR111/LETSLA/SSC Cables | Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery

Last edited by XtinctElise; 04-15-2018 at 08:58 AM.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 08:51 AM

Stupid question, but why did you invest so much time and money into it and now selling such an awesome build? GLWS BTW
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:24 AM

How many owners?

And is it possible to fix the fuel gauge issue? (ie get a jdm k20a platform car's fuel gauge and retrofit into lotus?)

thanks
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

HP - Not sure. I was planning on doing the dyno this spring. So far just an E tune. Probably 240 ish. I will say it feels stronger than a SC elise / Exige.
Why sell. Goals change. My race team (aka buddies) wanted to do track days. Now they all want to do SCCA racing. This really doesn't fit a class.
How many owners. Not sure, but I think I am the 3rd owner. Car was 100% stock when I bought it.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:47 AM

Seems like an awesome build! Love seeing other K-swaps in the Lotus world. Super interesting with being able to return everything to stock if you so wish! Free bump for you. GLWS!

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the nice comments. Sorry I missed the one about the fuel gage. I know it can be fixed two ways. One is like $200 and a work around involving some no name brand of converter. The other is to sell the JDM Hondata ECU and buy an RSX type S ECU and put Hondata on that. Both cost $ and frankly like I said, i don't care enough to get it. As for being able to put it back to stock, I agree and I really didn't cover that. I should have mentioned that I did not cut out the trunk as it seems a lot of the guys doing this have done. That was a little to far for my taste. So yes, this is a stock Elise +. Again thanks for all the nice comments.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 03:55 PM

Only if I could afford another Elise in my life. Great job on the car!!!
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv03h View Post
Thanks for all the nice comments. Sorry I missed the one about the fuel gage. I know it can be fixed two ways. One is like $200 and a work around involving some no name brand of converter. The other is to sell the JDM Hondata ECU and buy an RSX type S ECU and put Hondata on that. Both cost $ and frankly like I said, i don't care enough to get it. As for being able to put it back to stock, I agree and I really didn't cover that. I should have mentioned that I did not cut out the trunk as it seems a lot of the guys doing this have done. That was a little to far for my taste. So yes, this is a stock Elise +. Again thanks for all the nice comments.
I have the converter box (made by hondata) to fix this if anyone is interested:

https://www.hondata.com/lotusdash.html

I'm running kpro4 in my K24 swapped car and that is another solution to get all the dash features to work properly. I upgraded to kpro4 AFTER I bought the converter box so I no longer need it.

D

2005 Lotus Elise Mag Blue (Honda K24 Swap)

Last edited by Deezel; 04-17-2018 at 12:45 PM.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 02:56 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezel View Post
I have the converter box (made by hondata) to fix this if anyone is interested:

https://www.hondata.com/lotusdash.html

I'm running kpro4 in my K24 swapped car and that is another solution to get all the dash features to work properly. I upgraded to kpro4 AFTER I bought the converter box so I no longer need it.
A better idea would be to start your own for sale thread. Your post really doesn't belong in a car for sale thread. Thanks.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Just FYI, that Hondata converter is not what I was talking about. I have a Kpro4 as well. Deezel do you have a JDM ECU? If so how did you get around the lack of an FTP pin out on the ECU? But the free bump is okay with me.
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:30 PM

will the car pass emissions?
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

As is no. Currently running OBD1 Hondata set up. It could be made to fairly easily (Cat, 2nd O2, modest tune).
Attached Images

post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Two motors
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Summer is coming
Attached Images

post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
A better idea would be to start your own for sale thread. Your post really doesn't belong in a car for sale thread. Thanks.

San
Sorry, just trying to help a fellow owner sell their swapped car. I was hoping interested buyers in this car might be able to use that converter box to get the fuel gauge to work. The converter box is not really needed with the new version of krpo so it's not worth making a for sale thread about, I was going to sell it for the cost of shipping.

Sorry if it came off as something else.
Liftnot2 likes this.

D

2005 Lotus Elise Mag Blue (Honda K24 Swap)

Last edited by Deezel; 05-01-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Lotus Cars For Sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in