2005 Lotus Elise / Honda K20A - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

You know if anyone out there is interested in doing a Honda Kswap to there car, I would be interested in doing the work. I of course have no business and it would be done in my garage. I can do about any mods you could want. I would estimate very roughly you are talking $14k~$16k in parts and about 120~140 hours. Of course these numbers are based on changing out almost everything like my set up. You could probably scimp in a few areas (Non Type R motor, no radiator upgrade, no Kpro, etc). Total would be around $18~$21k. Just putting it out there.

Some things to keep in mind.
1) A stock K20A feels better than a SC 2ZZ
2) A K20A is much more reliable and more efficient than a 2ZZ. And the sound!!!!!
3) A 4piston racing K24, can net you around 330~340 WHP without the need for FI.
4) My set up runs around 168 degrees under highway driving, 185 track.
5) This is not a normal DIY project.
Liftnot2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

I do not use Instagram. text me 937-404-1973
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mphjr_lt View Post
Amazing car. I admire you guys with the know how and vision to essentially redesign/rebuild the car like this. I'm a NC Miata (Mazda rotary history) lurker here trying to decide if I want to switch to an Elise or not. From a beauty perspective, it's a no brainer, but from a maintenance/cost/reliability perspective, not so encouraging. In my location in TX, it would have to pass emissions. I'm guessing this doesn't so what would be required?
I appreciate it. It is fun for some and tedious for others. My set up is not intended to pass emissions. However if I had that in mind at the beginning it would be fairly easy (maybe not cali), I would have just left the cat on and set it up to be OBDII in the Kpro. Or even left the Kpro off and it would have been std honda emissions. I can tell you that the stock Honda is way better than the Toyamaha crap in the stock cars. In any case, for anyone who is reading, I am not selling the car for $37k. I just don't know how to edit the posts. I have much more invested and honestly nothing exists that I want more in this price range. For my original amount, I would consider selling it, but I understand that seems like a lot to many. It ust takes a calculator to figure out it is a good deal. Again thanks for the likes. In retrospect, I should have posted this under a build section. I have a lot of pics of the install process and a lot of wiring info, cooling info and misc odds and ends that are good info for a fellow swapper.

post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv03h View Post
I appreciate it. It is fun for some and tedious for others. My set up is not intended to pass emissions. However if I had that in mind at the beginning it would be fairly easy (maybe not cali), I would have just left the cat on and set it up to be OBDII in the Kpro. Or even left the Kpro off and it would have been std honda emissions. I can tell you that the stock Honda is way better than the Toyamaha crap in the stock cars. In any case, for anyone who is reading, I am not selling the car for $37k. I just don't know how to edit the posts. I have much more invested and honestly nothing exists that I want more in this price range. For my original amount, I would consider selling it, but I understand that seems like a lot to many. It ust takes a calculator to figure out it is a good deal. Again thanks for the likes. In retrospect, I should have posted this under a build section. I have a lot of pics of the install process and a lot of wiring info, cooling info and misc odds and ends that are good info for a fellow swapper.
I don't want to derail your For Sale thread, but if you had the time, the community would really benefit from your build experience. Especially in the wiring and cooling department.

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 02:27 PM

This car a really good deal. I think it just has to find the right owner. I imagine the the car + build is more than 55K. GLWS
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 07:08 PM

The K20 swap is so cool. A very well done engine with a lot of potential.

Elise 2006, white, K20 turbo GT3076R, 395 whp
List of mod: I am just stupid putting that much money on that car!
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:27 PM

Still for sale?
post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

I have the car and just put the new PRB ECU in it so the fuel gauge is up and running. Upgrade the wiring quite a bit as well.
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

So, I have had some interest in doing this swap for others. I was asked more specifics on the costs.
Base swap 2005 model (2006 and later will add costs due to DBW and other issues) – Going Kpro is not going to be emissions compliant (I think they can be, but that is up to you not me).
K20A2 (w/transmission, wire harness, charge harness, Alt, Intake, TB, water pump, injectors, half shaft, etc. around $2800+ for medium mileage unit.
Kpro4 $750
Axles $850+
Mounts $550+ (differing materials available)
Throttle cable / brackets $150+
Exhaust manifold - $500
Exhaust downpipe - $350+
O2 sensor - $150
Transmission adapter $250+
Wire harness adapter $500+
Clutch adapter $100
Misc supplies - $450
Base swap - $7400 + any taxes / shipping. Parts only.
Hours to do the basic swap job (not including time to get car, time to get parts, any pic up or drop off of parts or car) –
Disassemble Car – 16 hours
Prep motor – 6 hours
Prep car for swap – 16 hours
Install motor – 16 hours
Install Exhaust – 8 hours
Hook up cooling and bleed – 8 hours (not fun in this car)
Reassemble car – 16 hours
Tune car (rough tune, no dyno) – 8 hours
Final prep – 4 hours
Total hours – 98 hours @$80/hr = $7840

Non basic install items
K20A engine - $4800 Highly recommended (LSD included)
Upgraded radiator - $600 (increases hours by 20)
Silicone cooling hoses - $350 (increases hours by 4)
An fittings all over - $200
Upgraded coolant reservoir - $400 (increases hours by 6)
Upgraded fuel pump - $200 (increases hours by 16)
AC hook up - $1000 (will increase hours by 20)
Rotrex SC – TBD
Frank motor – TBD
Aim MXP - $2800 (will increase hours by 16). Will include rear back up camera
I know you may be able to find “deals” for parts, but in my experience you get what you pay for. I will only charge what it cost me to get. Not making $$ on parts. I am not interested in picking up or dropping off cars. I am not interested in scams. I am an honest guy who likes to work on cars in his free time. I take my time and do a good job. If your car is damaged, I will take many pics before I touch it. I am not responsible for your damage / broke parts. Anything that is wrong with your car will add to the above estimate. Buying a used motor is the responsibility of the car owner. I will not warrant a motor I bought to save you $$. If you want a warranty buy a new crate motor. Costs of these are not shown. I can work with any supplier in the US. All parts cost would need to be paid before any order is placed. 50% of labor paid before work begins. 100% funds due before pick up.
DeafPaul likes this.
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, I should probably start posting this in another area.
post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:31 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv03h View Post
Sorry, I should probably start posting this in another area.
It's your thread, so you can do what you like. You do open the door to this thread losing direction, but it's your call.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Moderator, can you close this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Lotus Cars For Sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in