2006 Lotus Elise Turbo - $20k in mods - 31.5k mi - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

2006 Lotus Elise, clean title, Saffron Yellow. Second owner, bought from Ron Tonkin GT in 2011 with 11,595 miles, now has 31,593.

Tuned for street driving and has been its whole life. After the standalone tune and turbo kit, produced 215whp @ 8500rpm @ 5psi, could easily produce considerably more power by increasing the boost, but in the interest of preserving the car's longevity I've kept it at 5 psi. Aftermarket modifications total over $20,000 invested and listed as follows:

ForcedFed 275 turbo package ($10,000 install):
-Garrett GT28R
-RC 550 injectors
-Bosch Porsche BOV
-Custom intake, oil pan
-Stainless Steel Turbo Support System
-321 Stainless Tubular Exhaust Manifold
-Spearco 450 HP Intercooler Core
-750CM Puller Fan

Computer:
-Motec Standalone ECU, tuned for 5psi ($5,000 install and tune)

Audio:
-Alpine 9833 deck w/ iPod hookup, bluetooth, microphone, remote
-JL audio 10W1 subwoofer in custom passenger kick panel box
-Rockford Fosgate 200W Amp
-Focal 4" dash speakers, 5" rear speakers

Tires:
-Front: Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec 195/50R/16 (replaced at 27,833mi)
-Rear: Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec 225/45R/17 (replaced at 21,246mi)

Other
-Sector 111 harness bar
-Schroth Racing 4-point racing harnesses (driver and passenger side)
-Custom center gauge pod w/ Procomp boost gauge & oil temp gauge

A couple negatives that might not be immediately apparent from pictures:
-Front lip shows normal damage for being as low as it is
-Standard for Elises, soft top and trunk leak a bit...but you shouldn't be taking it out in the rain anyway!

Stock options:
-Metallic paint (saffron yellow)
-Starshield
-Touring package
-Hardtop (yellow, also have soft top)

Have all major receipts and manuals from initial sale to turbo kit to standalone & tune. Located just north of Portland, OR.

Fantastic car, has been a childhood (and adulthood!) dream to own it. Selling because I hardly drive it any more and the Model S is kicking it out of the garage.

Asking $35k obo. Located just north of Portland, OR.
Attached Images

Last edited by MattHSN1; 07-01-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

A couple more pics. More pics on request. Email [email protected] with inquiries.
Attached Images

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Bump price drop

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 05:15 PM

Do you know how much power this is at running at 5psi?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stattine View Post
First post, 215whp.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl21133 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stattine View Post
First post, 215whp.
Indeed 215whp, thank you.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Bump
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Few more pics (and a few more miles tacked on!), price drop. Let's get this thing moving.
Attached Images

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 08:29 PM

This is so close to what I'd like to end up with, and it's just south of me! But I don't know much about this turbo kit, or what kinds of work it would be to continue tuning and maintaining it. Asking price is $35k currently, correct?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe LeBlanc View Post
This is so close to what I'd like to end up with, and it's just south of me! But I don't know much about this turbo kit, or what kinds of work it would be to continue tuning and maintaining it. Asking price is $35k currently, correct?
Correct, asking price is 35K.

Regarding the turbo kit, here's a quick primer: http://gglotus.org/ggtech/elise-forc...y-forcefed.htm
I also have the original manual and writeups from ForcedFed that show a lot more detail if you're interested in those.

Once the ECU is tuned, it doesn't need to be continually tuned, so it's not a recurring expense. Tuning an ECU means using software to modify things like air/fuel ratios to maximize performance and engine efficiency. The car isn't turbocharged from the factory, so adding the turbo without tuning it would cause the car to run very poorly since the rest of the car isn't expecting the additional power. Tuning it essentially updates the rest of the car as to what changes were made so they can operate properly. So once it's done, it's done.

The only reason you'd want to tune it is if you made performance changes like increasing the boost. That would throw off your ratios and you'd definitely want a professional to dial it in, in that case.

Last edited by MattHSN1; 07-01-2018 at 10:28 PM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Bump. Feedback on price, maybe? Seems like my price is at or a hair above comparable cars but with considerably more invested. Obviously you can't get out of a car what you put into it, but asking for a small chunk hardly seems unreasonable.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 11:06 AM

Since you're asking... I think $35k is fair, it's just a matter of finding the right buyer. I've bought and sold 2 Exiges and the stock one was definitely an easier sale. The other was modified (probably even more than your Elise) and you're narrowing down an already small market (people that want to buy one of these cars) to an even smaller one (people that want to buy one that is already modified). Personally I have loved the "pre-modded" cars I've owned but I have a lot of car guy friends that would shy away, for some reason any mods they didn't do themselves seem suspect to them. In my ownership experience it hasn't made much difference whether a car is modified or not, until I go to sell it.

Have you listed it elsewhere? For example Bring a Trailer might not give you the money you want but it might at least get you publicity (seems like Lotus cars don't do terribly well on there for some reason). My suggestion is to advertise it as much as you can locally as well, since so many people are unwilling to travel far to buy a car, even a unique one, people are annoying like that...

GLWS!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 11:41 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevinear View Post
Since you're asking... I think $35k is fair, it's just a matter of finding the right buyer. I've bought and sold 2 Exiges and the stock one was definitely an easier sale. The other was modified (probably even more than your Elise) and you're narrowing down an already small market (people that want to buy one of these cars) to an even smaller one (people that want to buy one that is already modified). Personally I have loved the "pre-modded" cars I've owned but I have a lot of car guy friends that would shy away, for some reason any mods they didn't do themselves seem suspect to them. In my ownership experience it hasn't made much difference whether a car is modified or not, until I go to sell it.

Have you listed it elsewhere? For example Bring a Trailer might not give you the money you want but it might at least get you publicity (seems like Lotus cars don't do terribly well on there for some reason). My suggestion is to advertise it as much as you can locally as well, since so many people are unwilling to travel far to buy a car, even a unique one, people are annoying like that...

GLWS!
+1

I too think your price is more than fair but in addition to the above, your potential buyer is further limited by the challenge of passing an emissions inspection with the aftermarket ECU for those who have to worry about such things.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

That is extremely helpful, thank you both. Ive got it listed on cars.com, AutoTrader, and Craigslist...seems like those are more scam fodder than anything these days. I'm hesitant to drop the price any more so I'll continue to be patient and look around for more local avenues.

It did pass relatively strict WA emissions with the aftermarket ECU, in case anyone is worried about that. Took the entire DEQ staff to figure out how to test it, but they got there eventually 😃
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Carfax added.
Attached Images

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:53 AM

I've installed 3 Forced Fed turbo kits and they have all proven to be reliable. With 5lbs of boost your putting minimal strain on the car (well within the limits of the factory SC systems).
Lots of tuning options out there for both stock and motec ECU's. Better yet, when you want to go a little faster you just have to turn up the boost dial. No mods needed. Buy with the comfort of knowing the engine and car are safe!

Stay Tuned.....
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 06:27 PM

I bought a modified Lotus Elise last year. 10 track days later and I am very happy I pulled the trigger... 0 issues and always one of the fastest cars on the track. The right buyer will come...
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Moderately embarrassing update: I had always thought this was Saffron Yellow. I checked the paint code today and it is Solar Yellow, the metallic option.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Still looking for a home here. Bump.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 08:57 PM

Did you sell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Lotus Cars For Sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in